PDA

View Full Version : Patrol Graveyards

Finly Owner
18th July 2010, 12:02 AM
Do any of our members have knowledge of where throughout this great land we can find any unused patrols. This can sometimes be a cheap source of original spares. Tailshafts, Hubs, Spare Wheels, Radiators, turbos etc.

red92gq
18th July 2010, 12:29 AM
Just do the same as me an the mates have done ,When you see a cheap one all pitch in an buy it between you.
We've got 5 patrols on the road between 3 of us an so far we have 3 wrecks to rob spares from.

Maxhead
18th July 2010, 07:48 AM
There you go Finly, just PM red92qg for whatever you might need...haha

red92gq
18th July 2010, 07:15 PM
There you go Finly, just PM red92qg for whatever you might need...haha
Yep an we'll tell you the same as everyone else that asks us for parts. THEIR OURS !
But if we know of any other cheap ones about we'll soon let you know.

CoR
18th July 2010, 10:04 PM
lol My Mum didn't teach me to share either :P

red92gq
19th July 2010, 10:07 PM
My point was between 5 going patrols we need 3 wrecks to provide us with cheap parts .
Anyone can do the same thing.
As soon as you sell a part ,you always seem to need that part again for your own rig.
Its a damn sight cheaper to buy a whole vehicle a lot of the time than buy for instance a another head .

CrazyDave
19th July 2010, 10:14 PM
My point was between 5 going patrols we need 3 wrecks to provide us with cheap parts .
Anyone can do the same thing.
As soon as you sell a part ,you always seem to need that part again for your own rig.
Its a damn sight cheaper to buy a whole vehicle a lot of the time than buy for instance a another head .

Very smart move mate. Wish my mates had the insight to do this when we were all involved in 4x4's.

MudRunnerTD
19th July 2010, 10:21 PM
I wish i had the space to put one behind the shed!! I used to be on acres and that would have been a winner, but now just nowhere to put a couple for parts.

A few years ago i got hold of a pair of diffs for mine and they have been a great source of parts. I have used the centres (4.6s) 2 of the calipers, one of the CVs and the brake pads where carried around as a spare set for a few years before they were used while out on a track. Still got the diff cases and likely to use the front at some time. also got a few CVs that i have grabbed as they appear as bargains over the years, i just put them away knowing that they will get harder and harder to get and i have a few of each.

If i was to buy another for parts it would have to be a TD42 as then, for me i get obviously the motor,, but water pump, power steering, alt, aircon, brakes, clutch, etc, etc, would just be a winner for sure.

patch697
20th July 2010, 11:23 AM
I will be looking at doing the same thing (buy a wreck) pulling the parts out & rebuild them ready for change over as needed.

Cheers
Paul

Finly Owner
20th July 2010, 11:39 PM
yeah that's what I was getting at. I'm always sticking beaking in peoples yards as I drive through different places. You never know what bargain what can get on the spot. Take it home. put wrecking sign on. Sell parts cheap, make small profit keep person getting rid of junk happy, someone who needs part happy and you happy making a few easy bucks. (this is easy as you tell them to take off/out part).

red92gq
21st July 2010, 10:28 PM
We've always done this ,Each different car we've had over the years we bought or gathered up wrecks of the same model to save our selves some cash.
At one stage between 3 of us we had just over 100 cars ranging from EH's to Patrols.
Down to about 60 all up now as the scrap price was good ,($200 per car) Cleaned out all the crap like Camiras ,pulsars,an assorted other rice burners.
This paid for new car trailer plus a heap of new parts for our patrols. ie: my 3"lift an new 33"s
But you do need the room to do it ,we're lucky we,ve got 20 acres to hide them on.

AB
22nd July 2010, 06:58 PM
Thats pretty full on.

our local council has recently starting cracking down on land owners with "junk" (not junk...lol) around everyones properties.

But around our area there's 20 acre properties full of rusted cars, sheds, old tractors, materials, etc.

Finly Owner
24th July 2010, 11:28 PM
where where where??????????? let me at em!!!!!!!!

Finly Owner
29th October 2010, 11:50 PM
Has anyone found anymore graveyards yet?

Chops
30th October 2010, 03:51 AM
Has anyone found anymore graveyards yet?

Yeah there's one up the road, but I think its haunted.

Bigrig
30th October 2010, 08:32 AM
I'd be up for a cheap buy between multiple mates - my brother is right now looking to purchase an older GU, but I'm pushing him towards a GQ - I've had both and have preference to the GQ, and same concept, if he gets a GQ, we can buy a wrecker to keep at my joint and rob spares from (mostly mechanical spares - not interiors and the like). But until he decides what he is doin, it's just a pipe dream ... good call red92gq, more people should do the same. You have to be cautious who you do it with though, as it can become a bit of a 'poo fight' should you all contribute the same money, but not see the value after the sale in spares for your car whilst your mate is building the "GQ from hell" ..

tariadamar
30th October 2010, 10:01 PM
yeah i know one. my sisters house i just got a wreck and stripping it out basicly the only things we are getting rid of are the engin gearbox and transfer case. the rest is being kept. and then ditcing the body and rails. we thought it was the way to go after i crahed my car. we are switching out diffs and keeping others for spares and since i will be running a locker in the rear and my sister runs one in the front i can see some axels breaking.

ripper
8th December 2010, 07:34 AM
Have any of you guys got a GQ jack handle and wheel brace you want to get rid of?
Also a windscreen washer bottle that isn't all perished and falling apart (I know this is a long shot).

Finly Owner
12th December 2010, 11:51 PM
Have any of you guys got a GQ jack handle and wheel brace you want to get rid of?
Also a windscreen washer bottle that isn't all perished and falling apart (I know this is a long shot).

Admin/Mods this needs moving I think?

ripper
13th December 2010, 12:06 AM
Admin/Mods this needs moving I think?

My post? or the whole thread?
Can I just remove my post by reporting it? or does it still need to be manually done by a mod?

Finly Owner
13th December 2010, 12:20 AM

If you put this in parts wanted it may be seen by more members.

Tim

ripper
13th December 2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks. A member with a washer bottle saw it and contacted me, but I'll put the other things in wanted.
Maybe a mod can delete all the irrelevant bits.

pauljud
21st December 2010, 06:58 AM
If you have ever been up the track to Cape Leveque, (above Broome), and you go out to the indigenous settlements along the way, (for a cost of a small fee I might add), you will see a heap of old 4bs in the back yards of houses that are in a state of disrepair, rusted, up on blocks etc, etc. There is an absolute Pandoras box of old wrecks to choose from and all the different makes and models
The same goes for the area around Mapoon, (north of Weipa), on the way up to the Cape. I am sure there is literally 100's in these areas I mentioned.
I'm sure this would be the same for a lot of the aboriginal areas around Oz.
But, is it viable to go and retrieve a wreck from that far away????
Just my thoughts,

Cheers, Paulie

ripper
21st December 2010, 09:41 AM
The distance to collect them is one issue, the other is that some people value the memories they have with the cars more than the money they could get for them. I think it's possible a lot of Aboriginals are this way. That old car that looks abandoned and unwanted is actually a part of their heritage.

MQ MAD
21st December 2010, 11:19 AM
Unless we all live in the burbs the cost to retreive these outta town wrecks can cost a motza
I got the local towie to bring my MK ute home
The local towie was where the ute was 65 Ks away
130K round trip cost me $200 cash
Ive got the tow rig,but no trailer,so buy the time a trailer could be tracked down it woulda cost the same
The rusty grave yards are great for rumaging,but the scrap prices fixed all that up