PDA

View Full Version : Front Runner Rack for Y62

CamJam
27th July 2018, 04:56 PM
Just posting in case anyone is interested in the numbers for it...

Front Runner rack on a stock standard car, full fuel and about 40kg's in the back sits at 205cm tall (tiny bit under). The Howling Moon awning attached raises it by just over another 3cm in total, using Front Runner Howling Moon brackets.

Based on my experience with a Rhino BackBone system on a Prado;

1. Yes, it is noisier on it's own compared to the Rhino. Not helped by the wind deflector being above the sunroof.
2. I don't think it's any noisier than my Prado when it got fitted with a snorkel - the snorkel made as much noise as the FrontRunner Rack.
3. The wind deflector can't be taken off - tried that and the thing has a resonance that sounds worse without it. So put it straight back on. There goes my thoughts of saving 1Kg.
4. It's far, far more easy to install than the ridiculous Back Bone system that has you doing weird things with Allen keys and your knuckles due to it's shocking placement of bolts and the inwards slant of the Back Bone part (perhaps not an issue with the Y62 model, but all models of BackBone I have seen so far have it as a problem).
5. Due to point 4 above - it'll be easier to not only periodically tighten all nuts, but to remove should I need to. I don't think I ever got the roof attachment nuts on the Prado fully tight.
6. It weighs more - 38kg's versus 32Kg's for the Rhino. However, Rhino capacity is 120Kg's that needs to have an 'off-road' factor (Rhino term) of 1.5 built into it for any off-roading. So that brings it down to 80kg's limit. THEN (and this is only in the instructions you get when you buy it) you need to deduct the 32Kg of the system - for a total payload on the roof of 48Kg's. The Front Runner is 150Kg with no off-road factor, so you use the manufacturers limit of 100kg's on the roof less the 38Kg of the Front Runner = 62Kg up top.
7. Overall, the quality of this thing is far above the Rhino, as are the accessories.
8. Clears the sunroof both ways that it opens. It's more windy with it fully open, but I actually find it pretty nice as it blows air into the cabin now (good for summer).

I'd buy it all over again, despite the rather decent price difference.

Jackofjr
27th July 2018, 06:16 PM
G'day CJ . I called into the Tradesman Roof Rack factory yesterday in Bayswater ,
Their Flat Rack looked good about 40kg , rated to 150kg and no OffRoad factor , when I asked the young bloke laughed and said something about Rhino 😀
I like the idea of the Rack being completely flat the side are not raised it would a advantage if I want to fit my Rooftop Tent .
They have plenty of accessories for fitting just about anything and do both Alloy and Steel ,
Alloy Rack - 2400mm L x 1400mm W . $1578
I was keen on a Front Runner but I dunno now .

CamJam
27th July 2018, 06:49 PM
G'day CJ . I called into the Tradesman Roof Rack factory yesterday in Bayswater ,
Their Flat Rack looked good about 40kg , rated to 150kg and no OffRoad factor , when I asked the young bloke laughed and said something about Rhino 😀
I like the idea of the Rack being completely flat the side are not raised it would a advantage if I want to fit my Rooftop Tent .
They have plenty of accessories for fitting just about anything and do both Alloy and Steel ,
Alloy Rack - 2400mm L x 1400mm W . $1578
I was keen on a Front Runner but I dunno now .

Hmmm - so same price, same weight, same loading. Yep, FR has a lip, about 3cm tall from the inside. I'd personally prefer it - something to jam things up against. I'm taking my Rhino platform down to Melbourne to the bloke I sold it to - and it fits inside it perfectly! But I'll still use a strap :)

Front Runner does RTT brackets, which you'd probably know. And it's got a decent network if you need a fix, extra slats or similar. I can also see myself doing something stupid like buying one of their under-rack tables (which is why there are two cut-outs in the side support beams).

I've heard of the Tradesman RR on Prado-Point - there are only good things that people talk about it on there. A couple of comments on rust, but I'm going to guess that happens to anyone - and if you're talking alloy (depending on the alloy) that may be a mute point anyway. That 2400mm is going to sit well forward - as you can see in the photo's the Front Runner really can't go much further back as it'd be up against the tail gate (which I couldn't open fully in the photo as it hits my garage door). From memory its around 2200mm - so another 200mm forward for yours. Could be a good thing - I only put light and bulky stuff up there usually so it's not as if you'd be putting 40kg's forward of the forward-most contact with the roof.

Good luck with the choice though!

Next week I get to put the Bar, Snorkel, Lights, UHF in it (without the lift) and see how it goes. The following weekend will be in the Snowys via Brindabella Ranges so should find out about any 'bump-stop' issues, if they exist.

CamJam
27th July 2018, 06:59 PM
Hey Jack,

May pay just to have a look at the accessories for both too. FR jerry can holder = $80 and 2.82Kg, the Tradie is $129 and without a weight listed, looks a good 4Kg or so. Shovel Holder, $60 versus $80 and 600grams versus I don't know. Spare wheel carrier works in Tradie favour ($68 versus $80) but again, looks pretty heavy. Just a thought...

Jackofjr
27th July 2018, 07:22 PM
I would really like to be able to get by without a Roof Rack but will see how I go , I never did get around to fitting the RTT to the last vehicle .
Next week I'm getting a Fourby Fitouts Touring Unit installed then the 2nd week of August the Rhino Bar and winch fitted ,
I will have load her up and hit a few tracks and the weighbridge again .
On Track sell Tradesman Racks you can check one out there ,

Jackofjr
27th July 2018, 07:24 PM
Hey Jack,

May pay just to have a look at the accessories for both too. FR jerry can holder = $80 and 2.82Kg, the Tradie is $129 and without a weight listed, looks a good 4Kg or so. Shovel Holder, $60 versus $80 and 600grams versus I don't know. Spare wheel carrier works in Tradie favour ($68 versus $80) but again, looks pretty heavy. Just a thought...

Ok thanks will do , I'm in no hurry for a Rack .

CamJam
27th July 2018, 08:07 PM
I would really like to be able to get by without a Roof Rack but will see how I go , I never did get around to fitting the RTT to the last vehicle .
Next week I'm getting a Fourby Fitouts Touring Unit installed then the 2nd week of August the Rhino Bar and winch fitted ,
I will have load her up and hit a few tracks and the weighbridge again .
On Track sell Tradesman Racks you can check one out there ,

If it's solely solely solely for a RTT, then I'd consider just the 3-piece Nissan Roof Cross bars that (genuine Nissan) can be had new on fleabay for around $350 all up. They're easy to take one an off - in fact it may be easier to permanently lock it to the RTT and then unbolt the racks, rather than the RTT each time you take it off - I've seen that done before...

Would love to see your Fouby Fitouts all done up. I'm trying to find a place that will put in a permanent draw system just on the right hand side - so I still have 7 seats when I need them (and I do).

Jackofjr
27th July 2018, 09:09 PM
I will post some pic's when it's done , he does very good work but it ain't cheap ( what is ) it will only be one drawer on the left side and a fridge slide on the right , still able to access the jack , if the fridge is on the right
a cargo barrier , false floor , soft luggage rack , full shelf , side bin , side pocket, drawer table , 20lt water tank with remote fill , think that's about it

I really don't know what will be on a RR we also have a kayak but until I decide what I can't fit in the wagon , I really don't know , things like shovel, recovery boards , chainsaw , fuel , oil all that crap I carry and never really need , as much as I don't want a RR , I probably can't avoid it .