PDA

View Full Version : On track 4x4 HMBCift kit

1nando
2nd July 2018, 08:38 PM
Hi gents,

I owm a s4 2018 Ti. I would like to install the ontrack 4x4 HMBC lift kit so i can fit a OL tripple loop bullar and not have it sitting or hitting the bump stops. I'd love some help and feed back from anyone with personal experience of installing this kit.

My questions;

How does the kit stand up over long trips on fast corogated terrain?
Does the kit cause any long term reliability issues to the suspension and the hydraulic system itself?
Does the kit cause premature tyre wear?

Sorry for all the questions but im struggling to find clear answers to the above questions and im weighing up whether im better off possibly not having a bullbar altogether.

Thanks in advanve gentleman.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

nissannewby
2nd July 2018, 08:44 PM
I am also looking at doing this. I have got answers from ont track to most of those questions. They have told me no ill effect on suspension components or bush life, they have yet to see any failed bushes. You dont lose much if any adjustment so tyre wear should not be a problem.

The kits does come with instructions and can be fitted with a good range of tools and some mechanical knowledge.

Now I just need time and money to put a lift in ours. The facebook y62 groups are really good for a lot of info about this sort of stuff.

bjrow
3rd July 2018, 10:46 AM
We just had our S2 Ti (with HBMC) done last week, so cannot comment on longterm issues or problems yet.
Have spent some time talking to various folk whom have done it and they have all been happy prior to "diving in" ourselves.
We fitted a single loop OL bar with winch and lightbar at the same time as the lift, hoping to go on some touring trips now with caravan in tow (3.3t loaded up 290kg on the ball).
From the little I've driven it since it is still comfortable to drive (seems much the same as before), although I tend to "loaf" along a it is a 3t car after all. The extra weight at the front is just perceptibly noticeable but no undue lean etc. pretty much same as before the lift etc.
We had airbags before and after, they just added 2" spacers so we could re-use them for when we tow.
Cheers BruceR

CamJam
3rd July 2018, 07:21 PM
Hi gents,

I owm a s4 2018 Ti. I would like to install the ontrack 4x4 HMBC lift kit so i can fit a OL tripple loop bullar and not have it sitting or hitting the bump stops. I'd love some help and feed back from anyone with personal experience of installing this kit.

My questions;

How does the kit stand up over long trips on fast corogated terrain?
Does the kit cause any long term reliability issues to the suspension and the hydraulic system itself?
Does the kit cause premature tyre wear?

Sorry for all the questions but im struggling to find clear answers to the above questions and im weighing up whether im better off possibly not having a bullbar altogether.

Thanks in advanve gentleman.

I am going through this right now, with the same car. I HAVE booked in at the end of this month for the TJM Explorer (single hoop) bar on the front, with recovery hooks, lights and an aerial to go on it as well as the 2" lift.

From what I can see online, if you don't get the lift, it only sags around 10mm - OnTrack also suggested this. So I am now thinking about not getting the lift done, and seeing how it goes. Regarding the bump stops that people keeps talking about, well - it's within the 85kg limit (I am not getting a winch) so it's within its design specs to be able to handle the bar up the front, with the recovery hooks (which I am guessing are about 20kgs all up). I'm like you though - very undecided. I will be getting a bar though, mostly for the protection but partly also for the fact I will be driving at night and want good lamps up front (not behind the grill or with an LED Bar) and to mount the aerial.

OnTrack also advised that with the 200+ lift's they've done, a percentage (they mentioned maybe a dozen) had issues with the CV boots. This can be remedied by putting on different boots they have - but it costs around $600. For me, that's a 5% fail rate, and to be honest it scares me a little. I get that I can fix it if it becomes an issue - but I don't do beach, I do remote travelling which is the last place I want a CV failing.

What I really want are just replacement springs for the front that are just a little stiffer in order to maintain the height - but OnTrack has said they can't do that, although it beats me why (perhaps the Y62 uses some specific ones that only come with that larger lift if required).

At the end of the day, I don't need a lift. But like you, the idea of bump-stopping along outback tracks has me, at this stage, leaning towards getting the lift. I think I need to call them again just to have the conversation... perhaps I'll not get the lift and then later go and do it if I need a Rear Bar or similar (if you get a rear bar later, it's a different set of springs they need to install).

1nando
3rd July 2018, 07:37 PM
I am going through this right now, with the same car. I HAVE booked in at the end of this month for the TJM Explorer (single hoop) bar on the front, with recovery hooks, lights and an aerial to go on it as well as the 2" lift.

From what I can see online, if you don't get the lift, it only sags around 10mm - OnTrack also suggested this. So I am now thinking about not getting the lift done, and seeing how it goes. Regarding the bump stops that people keeps talking about, well - it's within the 85kg limit (I am not getting a winch) so it's within its design specs to be able to handle the bar up the front, with the recovery hooks (which I am guessing are about 20kgs all up). I'm like you though - very undecided. I will be getting a bar though, mostly for the protection but partly also for the fact I will be driving at night and want good lamps up front (not behind the grill or with an LED Bar) and to mount the aerial.

OnTrack also advised that with the 200+ lift's they've done, a percentage (they mentioned maybe a dozen) had issues with the CV boots. This can be remedied by putting on different boots they have - but it costs around $600. For me, that's a 5% fail rate, and to be honest it scares me a little. I get that I can fix it if it becomes an issue - but I don't do beach, I do remote travelling which is the last place I want a CV failing.

What I really want are just replacement springs for the front that are just a little stiffer in order to maintain the height - but OnTrack has said they can't do that, although it beats me why (perhaps the Y62 uses some specific ones that only come with that larger lift if required).

At the end of the day, I don't need a lift. But like you, the idea of bump-stopping along outback tracks has me, at this stage, leaning towards getting the lift. I think I need to call them again just to have the conversation... perhaps I'll not get the lift and then later go and do it if I need a Rear Bar or similar (if you get a rear bar later, it's a different set of springs they need to install).Hi mate, we're both in the same boat. I hate the idea of a lift on a vehicle without live axles. I would prefer as you mentioned stiffer front springs but my research has indicated that the only way to go about this is via on tracks lift.

I have confirmed with my dealer that any drivetrain issue that could potentially arise will not be covered as a result of the lift. I sold my pride and joy defender to buy this vehicle as a comfotable and safe family tourer, spent a lot of money and got the nissan extended warranty rather than the dealership one. Last thing i want is to modify this thing and then start running into potential problems costing me money and basicllay regretting selling my landy. (Before anyone starts banging on about landys this thread is in regards to my question regarding suspension so if you don't have anything nice to say keep it to yourself as i know LR's are hated by a lotof people.)

I figure if im installing a bullbar it needs to offer complete frontal protection otherwise i won't bother. The single loop will save weight but still leave a lot of the front of the vehicle exposed to potential damage. My family and i do quite a bit of driving at night and the idea of an animal strike without a bullbar isnt my idea of fun.

It's confusing because some report the bullbar as being fine with only 10mm sag on the standard setup and others claim that it rests on the bump stops. I'd love a clear answer but i just cant get one.

If you could please keep me posted when you get your bar installed it would be appreciated.

CamJam
3rd July 2018, 08:20 PM
Yep - that's why I didn't want to go Rhino Bar - it's protection, but only half of it. The single loop coves the part I want covered - the radiator. Lights and side panels - I can get home without them.

Your fear on warranty is exactly why I am cautious about REALLY needing a lift. I just got into this after getting out of a 18 month old 62,000km Prado (2016 GXL) with 30mm lift (smallest you could get). It had a lot of issues - DPF, EGR, Drive shaft and rear diff. THat's why I sold it and got this. However, after the DPF was replaced a second time, I also got notice from Toyota that the diff and drivetrain issues will no longer be covered as I had lifted the vehicle and it now had changed the drivetrain issues. All BS, as there are plenty out there with 2" lifts - but I don't want to be in that boat.

Having said that - I'd rather take that risk than run the bump stops. I'm probably going to go with no lift, once I confirm the Bar and the two recovery hooks are less than 80kg's. Then I say it's within Spec, and shouldn't need a lift to get off the bump stops. The loss of 10mm can easily be gotten back by fitting larger tyres, which I intend to do. 285/70/R18 will gain you 14mm...

Jackofjr
4th July 2018, 09:29 PM
I went to the Open Day at " On Tracks " last Saturday , it was very interesting I got some good info regarding accessories.
There were some nice Patrols with plenty of mods , big tyres , big lifts a couple with SuperChargers .
A SuperCharger would be nice but I really think my Ti has more than enough power .
They had the light weight Bull Bar on one of their Patrols , 45kg that would be good but access to a winch was not good .
I have talked to a local spring place near me , I'm going to fit my Rhino Bar and Winch and see how much the front drops before I do anything with springs , I will only want to bring it back to std hight but all heavy springs will have some lift over std ,
I think I will probably only ever use std size tyres the extra lift from a tyre will not help bump stop clearance.
I would think Nissan would be no different to any other make regards non std accessories

1nando
5th July 2018, 06:24 PM
I went to the Open Day at " On Tracks " last Saturday , it was very interesting I got some good info regarding accessories.
There were some nice Patrols with plenty of mods , big tyres , big lifts a couple with SuperChargers .
A SuperCharger would be nice but I really think my Ti has more than enough power .
They had the light weight Bull Bar on one of their Patrols , 45kg that would be good but access to a winch was not good .
I have talked to a local spring place near me , I'm going to fit my Rhino Bar and Winch and see how much the front drops before I do anything with springs , I will only want to bring it back to std hight but all heavy springs will have some lift over std ,
I think I will probably only ever use std size tyres the extra lift from a tyre will not help bump stop clearance.
I would think Nissan would be no different to any other make regards non std accessoriesYour right regarding accessories.

Different springs aren't a option on hmbc models in the front. You have to replace the shock and spring assembly as one unit from my research.

A 1 inch lift would be more than sufficient i think but only 2 inch is available..... its a tough one thats for sure

CamJam
5th July 2018, 06:50 PM
Well, I've decided I'll get the bar without the lift. Works going to take me away for around 8 months overseas later in the year - so I figure if it is needed, then I can get it when I can come back, and I'll likely have the money to get the rear bar also. If you get the lift, then the rear bar later, then it's another $600 to change the rear springs. So I figure I'll be able to put up with any 'bump-stop' issues - if there indeed are any (it's less than 85kgs) until I return next June when I can then get the rear bar and the lift at the same time. I'll let you know if I have any issues. Between now and me going away (so sans lift) it'll be doing some Brindabella and Snowys/ High Country trips, as well as a possible Flinders jaunt - so if it's an issue I'll definitely know about it by then.

Jackofjr
5th July 2018, 08:40 PM
On Track are working on a GVM upgrade for these Patrols , no idea of price at this stage but those shiny new control arms under the back look bloody expensive
I really don't want to do anything to the suspension until upgrade is available .
Like I have posted before our Ti completely stock with a full tank and 2 of us onboard went 3000kg .
It's going to be almost impossible to keep it to 3.5t .
I would say every Patrol I saw last Saturday at On Track would be well over the std GVM .

CamJam
5th July 2018, 09:08 PM
Yeah - they just released something on facebook along the lines of "looking forward to the big announcement" recently - I wonder if that's it.

I agree with the weight limit - I'm quite anal on that. Everything I have that goes on board is minimal weight, something I found I had to do with the Prado which has a similar pay load. So out went the 2 x 8kg camp chairs and in came the Hellinox 1.4kg chairs. All our gear is hiking gear too, so cooking equipment, sleeping bags, tents and the like are all light weight. About the only heavier-than normal thing was the Front Runner rack, but it's the only one that maintains a good weight limit (not like the Rhino Backbone one) when off road. I'm nerdy enough to run an excel document that lists all our gear that's permanent, which allows us to calculate what we can fit it. Go light weight and you'll be surprised how you can easily gain another 80 - 100kg's that you can put towards food.

Jackofjr
5th July 2018, 10:04 PM
Yep CJ , I'm going to have to rethink everything I carry , now I have a waggon my usually recovery gear is probably enough to put it over and to be honest most of it is just in case stuff .

I did ask about a time frame for the GVM , they said ummm 6 months , don't hold ya breath , but they did say if you fit their springs now , they will be part of the GVM upgrade, that's a positive , others would be money wasted .

I had a look at a Front Runner rack the other day ,that's what I will get

1nando
11th July 2018, 06:33 PM
Hows the lift mate?

Sway?
Car parks?
Economy affected?

Any info is appreciated
We just had our S2 Ti (with HBMC) done last week, so cannot comment on longterm issues or problems yet.
Have spent some time talking to various folk whom have done it and they have all been happy prior to "diving in" ourselves.
We fitted a single loop OL bar with winch and lightbar at the same time as the lift, hoping to go on some touring trips now with caravan in tow (3.3t loaded up 290kg on the ball).
From the little I've driven it since it is still comfortable to drive (seems much the same as before), although I tend to "loaf" along a it is a 3t car after all. The extra weight at the front is just perceptibly noticeable but no undue lean etc. pretty much same as before the lift etc.
We had airbags before and after, they just added 2" spacers so we could re-use them for when we tow.
Cheers BruceR

bjrow
12th July 2018, 12:29 PM
1nando, pretty happy with it actually but not enough kays to comment on fuel yet sorry.
Sway, same as before. Car parks, same as before as the camera is now mounted on the front of the bulbar above the number plate, but hey I always take 2 spots!
For underground carparks, cannot really comment yet, I've roof racks on so never tried any of the low ones anyways. Does remind me I should get the tape measure out at some point this weekend and check tho.
Towing the caravan to get serviced Monday so will be interesting to see how that goes, guess I wont be doing an economy test then either for that trip (weight of caravan is 3.3T loaded up) but will be interested to see how confident the setup is on the road and at speed.
Cheers BruceR.

bjrow
29th August 2018, 10:31 PM
Well been a few weeks since the mods (bar, winch & 2" lift).
Towing the caravan at 80 thru 100klm/hr (Donnybrook and Hume Fwy) in high gusting crosswinds was remarkably unexciting...in a good way of course.
The WDH used was not having to be tensioned as much to get the car level (approx. 280kg towball download) and seemed more stable than orig setup. The van is a dual axle, 3.3T and 21ft long so not big but not one of the smaller ones either.
Without towing, normal driving it uses approx. 0.5 - 1 l/100klm more than stock, probably depends how quick off the mark you want to be to get all that weight moving is going to cost.
You can feel the extra weight in the front going around twisty bits, car still stays reasonably flat in the corners but understeers just a bit compared to original. In the wet, some corners I am a little more cautious than previous, a bit more experience/confidence to be gained incrementally without sliding off the road!
Probably making it sound worse than it really is but it is perceptible.
Cheers BruceR.

bjrow
21st September 2018, 09:25 AM
Just completed a trip to Geelong and back for work which I have done several times in the past, 316kays. Down Donnybrook onto the M80 (what a mess with roadworks....actually Donnybrook Rd is a disaster as well atm).
Filled up in the morning and again once returned, same servo and pump, use 98. Fuel usage was 11.97l/100klms, computer indicates 8.0klm/l. Pretty happy with that.
I do ease off slow from a stopped condition but always travel at the sign posted speed if able/safe to do so.
Of note, heading down around Lara there was a stiff headwind that chewed up a bit however it was a tailwind on the return journey. Perhaps the car is a little more susceptible to these conditions with the 2" lift than previous.
I'm sure the extra weight would show up in day to day city driving but happy for what we do.
Cheers BruceR.

Jackofjr
21st September 2018, 11:33 AM
Under 12ltx100 thats great but I dunno how you achieve that , My Ti has averaged over the the 8k since I got it 14.4ltx100
that's by the pump Lt's and the odo , the dash readout usually shows .6X100 better .

I like you drive at the speed limit where I can but I use a GPS for speed , if you are using the Patrol speedo it indicates about 9kph slower with std size tyres

the evil twin
21st September 2018, 01:40 PM
My Speedo is out by 8 KPH @ 110KPH
My Odometer is spot on (def less than 1% error).
My trip 'poota looks like it is a little generous IE says 12.5 LPH but closer to 13 maybe a tad more (not enough data to be sure yet).
Indicates average fuel use of - 10.5 LPH Freeway, 12.5 Urban (light urban tho not City stop start every 100 metres).

I sit on the speed limit (GPS), roll off the mark slowish but then accelerate more firmly to traffic speed.
I cruise with an eye on the 'instantaneous fuel' bar graph on the display but happily metal it every now and then if I need to make a gap.
I also drop across to 5th manual in 70 to 80 speed zones and don't use the Cruise Control.
An educated right foot will easily save 1 LPH over the cruise control plus I just like to 'drive' rather than 'ride'.

Jackofjr
21st September 2018, 04:06 PM
Ok looks like I have to learn drive , I can't get those numbers .
Correction my speedo show fast , I said slow above .

the evil twin
21st September 2018, 04:44 PM
Ok looks like I have to learn drive , I can't get those numbers .
Correction my speedo show fast , I said slow above .

ROFL... not really... lots of variables involved and mine is a clean skin at the moment so the only way from here is worse.
Every car will be different (ZD30 CRD's were notorious for widely varying fuel useage)

A few tips I was given over the years;
- 'roll' the throttle on don't 'punch' it
- 'feather' the throttle off don't 'lift' it
- if a K or two washes off on the uphill, live with it, trying to accelerate back up uses heaps of fuel (relatively)
- accelerate on the downhill
- get up to speed smartly on injected engines (no accelerator pump) don't drive like miss daisy and "lug"
- keep tyre pressure high
- don't let the RPM drop off the front of the Torque curve (1500 ish for us) IE one gear lower can often save fuel IF the rpm is now up in the torque band
- Anything on the roof uses a LOT more fuel than if in the back or at home in the shed at anything over about 50KPH (aero drag is exponential not linear)

Jackofjr
21st September 2018, 05:57 PM
Yeah I was only joking , it is what it is , I think the 14ish I'm getting is pretty good the Rhino Bar and Winch I have had for a few tanks but doesn't seem to of made any difference,
The 3 Rhino roof bars haven't been there for a tank yet but going by the dash readout it's not looking to bad , I know one tank is not enough to tell .

1nando
21st September 2018, 07:18 PM
Out of my 21000kms I have done more than half of that between Sydney- Adelaide. Adelaide- Melbourne, Melbourne- Sydney multiple times and I drive in 110 zones at 115 and 100 zones at 103 according to gps. My average is under 12.5ltrs/100. In fact easily between 10-12 average.

Sydney to Gulgong across the blue mountains with its many hills and climbs sees 12-13 ltr/100 which I reckon is bloody good as i roar past every overloaded diesel struggling up hills.

In the eastern suburbs of Sydney however I manage between 18-20 depending on how hard I boot it of the lights and stop start traffic. I have seen as high as 23 when I get over excited or overly frustrated with spastics trying to sneak in rather than waiting there turn. I'd rather crash into someone than let them in thinking their time is more important than mine and not willing to do the right thing and wait like everyone else! Fkem!

Mine is a s4 ti that's completely standard other than a Engel fridge in the back. I don't know whether a OL bull bar, roof rack and tyres would take that closer to 14-15 on the highway and 20-22 in town...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

threedogs
22nd September 2018, 05:38 PM
Just give Andrew at On Track a call Im sure he can answer all your problem

kevin07
8th November 2018, 04:59 PM
fit aftermarket cv boots and maybe uca's

threedogs
8th November 2018, 06:23 PM
Why not just ring Andrew, Ill pop down and see him and see what he has to say.
Need to see him anyway as getting some smoothies fitted soon

CamJam
24th December 2018, 11:14 PM
Just an update to close my contribution to this tread - on a car without the lift kit but with a TJM Explorer bar, spot lights and UHF aerial hanging off the front. I've had no issues (as far as I am aware) of hitting the bump stops without the lift. From Canberra, we have gone from to Lightning Ridge, Birdsville, Cameron Corner (all via back roads and ranges), Flinders Ranges, Vic High Country, Brindabella ranges and done a couple of 4WD courses - never once hitting the bump stops. Most of the time we'd be at 3300 - 3500kg all loaded.

The 'stop', if there is one, is the GVM (despite this having one of, if not the, best payloads of a 4WD wagon on the market). So I think I will still get the lift - but only due to it being part of the much-promised but yet to be realised GVM upgrade from OnTrack. That's going to be around $6000, but I think that's the only thing stopping this vehicle from being the best touring vehicle I have owned. With the GVM upgrade comes the ability to carry more fuel, and I'm loving the Rotopax system of fuel storage at the moment (low profile, bloody durable) to I'll with 4 x 15L jerry's we're looking at a 200L fuel supply and an ability to go anywhere in comfort, with power, legally.

If it weren't for the GVM increase, I'd not go the 2" lift as I don't think it needs it for touring.

Jackofjr
27th December 2018, 01:32 PM
G'day CJ , its been kinda quite around here lately

I like you would rather not lift the Patrol , just back to std ride height would be ok but I will look at " On Tracks " GVM upgrade if they ever get it approved .
I have towed a Tvan to my Daughters place in Malanda Qld just recently and returned home without it

The arse of the 62 dropped a fair bit with the Tvan attached , I fitted some Air Bags when we got home but haven't towed our Tvan with them yet .
My bump stops have definitely bottomed out both front and rear .

I haven't needed to carry any extra fuel yet but I'm interested in the Rotopax system of fuel storage you are using , its on ya roof I assume , got ant pic's

I don't want all the extra weight of a big tank under the arse and definitely don't want a bloody wheel hanging of the back , it would give me the shyts every time I went to open the back door :(

My 62 has just clocked up 20K , its in for a service 3 Jan .

catch ya regards Jacko

1nando
27th December 2018, 09:14 PM
I'm in the same boat as both of you (Jacko and Cam).
If on track did a small 25mm lift id buy it asap. I'm not convinced on the 50mm....

CamJam
27th December 2018, 10:19 PM
Certainly has been quiet! I've been overseas for a bit over a month and come back to have a look and... not much! Everyone must be enjoying the good weather (I've heard about).

Jacko - a short solution for you may be the airbags? Apparently with those you can get an engineer to put your GVM up by 180kg's. Give's you a little more wiggle room but also should stop that sag happening. The facebook post had a dude in QLD getting the upgrade, and I've since found out there's an Engineer in ACT who'll do the same. Unsure where 180kg comes from - perhaps axle weight tolerances, wheels or similar - but all of them do 180Kg... possibly a short term for you? I've only clocked 17,000-odd now, but that's with 6 weeks off!

The Rotopax I saw when overseas with other countries using them. They are very expensive, but the most durable things you can find on the market. Any google of Rotopax will come up with what I have - I've got 2 x 4-gallon (15 litre) tanks mounted with a Front Runner bracket to the roof. I figure 170L is all I will need and if I ever need more, will just add Rotopax systems.

I'm surprised you've definitely hit the bump stops - you have a Rhino don't you? so less weight than mine by around 25kg's or so (although from memory you have a winch, so that likely negates it). Maybe I have and just haven't noticed, or you're doing much harder roads than I! I might go out and mark them with some chalk and see what happens next week I'm in Bendethra.

1nando - Absolutely. I would just like it returned to stock height but that's not an option dammit. I went for a 30mm lift on the Prado for the same reason - didn't want a lift, just needed added stiffness at the front. And even then that caused issues with Toyota and any warranty (got a letter after a couple of DPFs stating that any driveline claims from the engine back wouldn't be covered due to a permanent lift).

Jackofjr
28th December 2018, 12:39 AM
Thanks CJ , the 180 upgrade is to the max axle rating I'm guessing , that would be very close to being enough .

Our 62 is about the same weight as yours , on the bridge with the Tvan and full load for QLD trip , we were
1560kg front axel , 2000kg rear axel and the Tvan axel was 1080kg , I didn't bother unhooking for the Ball Weight but our Tvan is about 170 - 180 .

So we were over by 80kg in the Patrol but I did have all my recovery gear I take to the Highcountry , I would normally leave some of that at home but I thought stuff leave it there and see how she goes.

Looking under the vehicle I can see where the bump rubbers have contact the stops .

I did google those Rotopax fuel containers , they do look good about $160 for the 15lt ones , plus mounting hardware.

Face Book is the reason this place is so quite , FB has just about killed off most forums .

CamJam
28th December 2018, 10:41 AM
Yes, agree with the scourge of FB - although I much prefer forums. The information is put under categories and people tend to have a look through threads rather than simply asking the same question over and over again. Having said that - if you FB search the forums then yeah, that 180kg will crop up, and I haven't seen it here just yet. Scott Fleming on 14 September raised it on AussiePatrol FB page. I've added a photo of another 180kg increase plate someone put on also... I'm in the same boat - 150kg would be fantastic as I'm borderline now. I think I may go down that route, once I research it a bit more and consider internal controls to electrically adjust the airbags.

Jackofjr
28th December 2018, 12:14 PM
I think David Dash had the 180kg upgrade done to his Patrol , the engineer had to do lane change and braking tests on a airfield somewhere near Adelaide , probably cost more than the On Track gvm will , if they eventually get it approved.

David Dash's Patrol is not a HBMC model and that photo of the Mod Plate is on a 2013 so it's not HBMC either ,

That upgrade wouldn't be approved for our HBMC models ,

I did check with On Track on how their upgrade was coming along before I fitted the Air Bags , they said it has to happen because it has cost them a small fortune so far , hmm I hope it does.

CamJam
29th December 2018, 10:37 AM
I think David Dash had the 180kg upgrade done to his Patrol , the engineer had to do lane change and braking tests on a airfield somewhere near Adelaide , probably cost more than the On Track gvm will , if they eventually get it approved.

David Dash's Patrol is not a HBMC model and that photo of the Mod Plate is on a 2013 so it's not HBMC either ,

That upgrade wouldn't be approved for our HBMC models ,

I did check with On Track on how their upgrade was coming along before I fitted the Air Bags , they said it has to happen because it has cost them a small fortune so far , hmm I hope it does.

Ah yes, there's one from 2016 with the 180kg GVM increase and I assumed it'd be HBMC - quite possibly not.

If it's available for HBMC, I got told by an qualified/ certifying ACT engineer that the test and certification would be less than $1100. I was enquiring about a generic GVM increase as I have heard that even if the OnTrack one is federally approved, it still needs to be state-approved (more a formal thing in that case, but still needs to be done). From what I have heard locally, it depends on the engineer on whether they want the full gambit of tests conducted on your specific vehicle or if they're happy that the testing has been done elsewhere on a similar car/ set up. He indicated to me that the Federal approval would negate the need for the full suite of tests.

I'm also going to enquire as to whether or not they can certify the car with 130kg on the roof. I doubt it, as that's a structural and ESC thing, but you never know.

Jackofjr
29th December 2018, 11:17 AM
Yep ok , I might make some enquiries around here in the new year , the place I got my airbags from I know works with a engineer for some things ,
I would think a 2016 Patrol would have to be a HBMC but not sure when Nissan dropped the std suspension.

1nando
10th March 2019, 09:00 PM
Certainly has been quiet! I've been overseas for a bit over a month and come back to have a look and... not much! Everyone must be enjoying the good weather (I've heard about).

Jacko - a short solution for you may be the airbags? Apparently with those you can get an engineer to put your GVM up by 180kg's. Give's you a little more wiggle room but also should stop that sag happening. The facebook post had a dude in QLD getting the upgrade, and I've since found out there's an Engineer in ACT who'll do the same. Unsure where 180kg comes from - perhaps axle weight tolerances, wheels or similar - but all of them do 180Kg... possibly a short term for you? I've only clocked 17,000-odd now, but that's with 6 weeks off!

The Rotopax I saw when overseas with other countries using them. They are very expensive, but the most durable things you can find on the market. Any google of Rotopax will come up with what I have - I've got 2 x 4-gallon (15 litre) tanks mounted with a Front Runner bracket to the roof. I figure 170L is all I will need and if I ever need more, will just add Rotopax systems.

I'm surprised you've definitely hit the bump stops - you have a Rhino don't you? so less weight than mine by around 25kg's or so (although from memory you have a winch, so that likely negates it). Maybe I have and just haven't noticed, or you're doing much harder roads than I! I might go out and mark them with some chalk and see what happens next week I'm in Bendethra.

1nando - Absolutely. I would just like it returned to stock height but that's not an option dammit. I went for a 30mm lift on the Prado for the same reason - didn't want a lift, just needed added stiffness at the front. And even then that caused issues with Toyota and any warranty (got a letter after a couple of DPFs stating that any driveline claims from the engine back wouldn't be covered due to a permanent lift).Hi mate, did you end up checking whether or not your hitting the bump stops?

I've just installed the same TJM bar as you and also put a set of 9" tjm driving lights on. Over speed humps I think it's definitely nose diving further than pre bullbar but uncertain as to whether it may be hitting. Ive actually been hitting some hard intentionally to see what happens but too difficult to tell

Jackofjr
10th March 2019, 11:01 PM
Just grab a torch and have a look you will easily see where the rubber bump stops have been touching it will be nice and shiny ,
I will almost put money on its been bottoming out , can't see why it would be any different to mine .

I have fitted Air Bags to the rear the jury is still out as to if they will be enough .

Did you take any measurements before the bar and lights were fitted .

CamJam
11th March 2019, 09:43 AM
Hi mate, did you end up checking whether or not your hitting the bump stops?

I've just installed the same TJM bar as you and also put a set of 9" tjm driving lights on. Over speed humps I think it's definitely nose diving further than pre bullbar but uncertain as to whether it may be hitting. Ive actually been hitting some hard intentionally to see what happens but too difficult to tell

At some point I have, but I've been checking infrequently and two of those trips involved having some fun in the Brindabella Ranges and in the snowy's. It's never been noticed by me, so my take on it is that they're doing their job and when they do touch, it's more likely something like that - certainly never been 'hit' with any force that I've noticed. I just looked under our Volvo V40 Cross Country and they've also been touched (not lifted and the most it sees is a gravel road) so I'm leaning towards the notion that all is good.

My main concern with hearing about people 'hitting' the bump stops was that it'd be sending a jarring feel through the vehicle or limiting the ability of the car - that's certainly not the case.

But alas, I think I need to lift it. From what I hear, the GVM upgrade comes up with a mandatory 2" lift with it and I'm pretty keen on the GVM increase. Having said that - with the extra 585kg they're looking at putting into the equation, I may be able to turn that 2" into 1" with a few add-ons now like a rear bar and permanently install the fridge etc in the back. I wonder if the GVM increase increases the front axel weight limit too?

Got to say - loving this naturally aspirated vehicle. Nothing is going wrong with it! Little squeaks in the dash - but that's where the units been taken out and a UHF put behind the HVAC controls and nothing I can't fix with rubber washers when I can be bothered.

Tsg bayar
25th March 2020, 06:10 AM
Hi guys, just shifted to y62 from 12 years of 200 and in Mongolia. Love the vehicle and its power. Mine is 2018 y62 LE which is similar to TI-L. I have been trying to find a way to lift mine 2 inches. And I would rather disassemble HBMC and put 2inch front coil spring. Have you guys come across any specific front coil spring that will do it? Thanks

Tsg bayar
25th March 2020, 06:15 AM
Hi, do you know any specific 2inch springs that can replace std HBMC front coil springs?