PDA

View Full Version : GU TD42 fan shroud removal/replacement fan.

Burden
17th May 2011, 11:42 AM
Hi Guys,

My dad has just purchased a 1998 GU TD42 DX and needs to replace the fan as there is a crack in the center of it. Two questions:

How do you remove of the fan shroud to get the fan out? On my GQ TD42 the shroud separates top and bottom and on th GU it appears it doesn't separate top and bottom. Is it easier to remove the hub clutch on these? How do you normally get the fan off to replace?

Has anyone had bad experience with after market fans? Genuine are $170 at Nissan and other fans going for 50 bucks on eBay. Any experience with these?

Any ideas would be great. Thanks, Carl

katwoman
17th May 2011, 06:35 PM
Hey, Carl. Cant help with the shroud as Katrol didnt have one and I had to make it. I went from thermos fans back to clutch fan.. Just replacing the blades should be easy enough.. I assume the diesels arent that different to petrols? I bought the aftermarket blades and clutch fan and so far ( fingers croosed) no problems.. Managed to fit without removing the 5 core radiator which is wider than the standard.
I had to fit clutch fan and blades as one !! I'd have to know if diesels are the same as petrol tho ?? before I could tell you how to pull it apart..

fixer982
17th May 2011, 06:54 PM
Hi Carl,
I am not a mechanic, but I just changed the radiator on my TB45 Petrol, which looks the same as the TD42 Diesel I saw not long ago. On mine, the shroud is held in by three screws across the top and 2 moulded plastic pins on teh bottom which engage into elongated holes on brackets which are part of the radiator. I had quite a job putting the shroud back in as the bottom pins have to "click" into these holes and required a bit of force but care not to break the pins. Not sure if yours is the same, but if it is, then that's what you do. I was able to pull the shroud back enough to remove the radiator, and then the shroud came out, so the shroud went in first over the fan, then refitted the radiator. It was quite easy once you have done it.

As I say, this was on a 1999 GU TB45 petrol, but looked the same to me. Hope this helps. Let us know if it turns out to be much different.

Regards, ian.