PDA

View Full Version : Chains for 2018 Patrol

Mushie
22nd June 2018, 12:45 PM
Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a new 2018 Patrol. We goto the snow alot (vic) and need chains. I seem to be having trouble locating (read 'googling') chains to suit the tyres on the new car. Tyre size is 265/70R18.
Has anyone purchased some or know where to get them?

PeeBee
22nd June 2018, 12:52 PM
I would think any of the larger 4wd accessories companies would be able to help, ARB, TJM, Piranha, or the likes of autobarn or east coast auto spares etc. I have a full set of piranha diamond pattern but for 15" rims.

BillsGU
22nd June 2018, 01:12 PM
When you buy them make sure you try them on at the place you buy them (or better still get them to put the chains on for you). Some of the latest vehicles have problems with the chains clearing suspension and brake bits located behind the tyre. The idea is to go to one of the chain hire places. They are experts at sizing and fitting chains and they usually sell them as well.

Mushie
22nd June 2018, 01:46 PM
I would think any of the larger 4wd accessories companies would be able to help, ARB, TJM, Piranha, or the likes of autobarn or east coast auto spares etc. I have a full set of piranha diamond pattern but for 15" rims.

Thanks PeeBee,
Piranha emailed me back, apparently those tyres are between sizes of chains. He suggested I go and try and fit one of the ones either side.

PeeBee
22nd June 2018, 01:51 PM
Thanks PeeBee,
Piranha emailed me back, apparently those tyres are between sizes of chains. He suggested I go and try and fit one of the ones either side.

I have found this also at times. I utilised a couple of the 'crushable links' you can get at Bunnings to extend the tails on my chains when required, and also carry a couple of spares in case they are required for use on another vehicle in the group I am travelling with. A couple of small lengths of chain also will help. I am happy to stuff around in the garage to resolve things like this. Funny enough, slightly smaller is a gift rather than loo long as its been easier to add length than subtract it from the chains I have found

fits5
24th June 2018, 10:01 AM
I've hired them before and they fit no worries (can't recall the size unfortunately) Rear wheels only though. If you search for the size on eBay, plenty of hits come up, mostly from the USA though.

Jackofjr
17th July 2018, 01:02 PM
Mushie did you find a set of chains that fit ?

Jackofjr
18th July 2018, 04:37 PM
Piranha 127s chains fit ok but I would
only fit them to the rear wheels , clearance on the front is to close

Mushie
19th July 2018, 05:03 PM

Thanks Jackofjr. I dont have the car yet - still waiting.....its going to be agony. I spoke with Piranha, they basically said come in and they will sort it out, either by adding links to the smaller size, or (probably easier) removing links from the larger size.
Nissan assure me that you can get the chains on the front wheels - although I have my doubts, as you say, there isnt alot of clearance in there.

CamJam
19th July 2018, 05:09 PM

That's interesting. While I am aware of the debate surrounding front or rear wheels, I'd have though the front wheels - which steer - would be better? Acknowledging your point - I would have though that considering these cars can run 305/65=R18 stock (according to most) that clearance wouldn't be an issue - have you heard differently?

Jackofjr
19th July 2018, 05:31 PM
The 127s chains fit no problems no need to add or remove any links , my std tyres are 265-70-18

You might be able to use them on the front but there is bugger all clearance , there wasn't enough room for my finger between the chain and the top ball Joint and whatever that thing is that's attached to it .

I don't think I would risk it .