PDA

View Full Version : Ncop

TuffTD42
16th May 2011, 02:36 PM
Thought this might come in handy for those that are fitting bigger wheels tyres & suspension etc & want to know what the legislation is. You'll have to check with your state roads authority to see if it is implemented in your state yet.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

Bigrig
16th May 2011, 02:40 PM
Thought this might come in handy for those that are fitting bigger wheels tyres & suspension etc & want to know what the legislation is. You'll have to check with your state roads authority to see if it is implemented in your state yet.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

Good work mate - this one should become a sticky so it's easily found!

Bob
16th May 2011, 04:15 PM
So am I right in assuming that any Lift over 50mm (2 ") is illegal if your State has adopted it

the evil twin
16th May 2011, 04:34 PM
All States and Territories have adopted the VSB 14 content several years ago now... only the names have been changed to protect the innocent IE the appropriate sections/clauses won't necessarily be called VSB 14 in your state and may refer directly to the ADR etc etc.

Regards Lift over 50mm. Yep, VSB allows a total lift IE any combo of tyres, body, suspension up to a max of 50mm. After that it's inspection/engineering time

TuffTD42
16th May 2011, 05:08 PM
So am I right in assuming that any Lift over 50mm (2 ") is illegal if your State has adopted it

As far as NSW go's, you could only ever have a suspension lift of no more than 2"s unless you got an engineers cert regardless of the NCOP. You could have the 2" lift plus a tyre size upto the 15mm bigger than your standerd tyres aswell. Don't think this will worry to many in NSW as to me it's pretty much the same except you can now have bigger tyres. I haven't contacted the RTA to see if they have adopted the NCOP as yet. The NCOP is a bonus I think for those in the likes of QLD. Not sure where the other states use to stand.

cheers Jono.

Bigrig
16th May 2011, 05:22 PM
QLD legislation hasn't changed as yet (but will very soon), so the 50mm here is unenforceable currently - the same 15mm increase in tyre diameter exists though and is enforceable. Currently the dept of transport guidelines is that any and all 'modifications' MUST:

1. Be installed by a licensed installer
2. Meet Australian Design Regulation standards
and
3. Meet the standards of "sound engineering practices"

That all said - even when the legislation comes in there will 'apparently' be no ability to do retrospective fines etc, so it will apply to any modifications being undertaken post the implementation of the ruling.

Either way, if you have a monster truck, you should be concerned. A mate of mine is a cop locally where I am, and he reckons (personal opinion, but he is up to date on the guidelines) that most forbies wouldn't even get stopped due to police not having the knowledge (vehicle heights, track, wheelbase, etc measurements from OE guidelines etc). It would more than likely be left to the dept of transport through changes to the vehicle registration process to have some form of inspection at renewal of our rego like many other states already have (we don't have that here yet).

the evil twin
16th May 2011, 05:27 PM
Hiya Jono

I was under the impression the 50mm is overall lift... IE tyres OR suspension OR body. 33's and a 2 inch suspension lift and a 1 inch body lift for example require engineering certifications.

Also 15mm tyre size is for passenger cars... real 4X's are allowed 50mm under VSB14 BUT as in all things that is a maximum. Jurisdictions can specify smaller but not larger should they choose to do so.

From the VSB ( Patrols are MC2 under ADR's)

4.2.4 Overall Nominal Diameter
The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to a passenger car or passenger car derivative must not
be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle
manufacturer for that model.
The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to:
 4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR
category). All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be
certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not
included in this category;
 4WD goods vehicles and their 2WD equivalents if the chassis and running gear are
essentially the same as the 4WD version (N ADR category); or
 any medium weight goods vehicle (NA2, NB ADR category).
Must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the
vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.

Bottom line tho is that it is all as confusing as beejezus hence the NCOP train of thought and even then the States/Territories can fiddle with the clauses

TuffTD42
16th May 2011, 05:43 PM
Yea evil it confuses me to as it can be taken I think in different ways. Just going on what my engineer said, that previous you could have the 50mm lift accompanied by the 15mm increase in tyres. I think i read something there about lifting 50-150mm was ok as long as the vehicles height isn't raised any higher than 75mm? Go figure but I only did skim through quickly I'll have to take the time to read it properly & let it all sink in which sometimes is hard for me lol.

cheers Jono.

TuffTD42
16th May 2011, 05:49 PM
It seems to me as usual, that they (RTA etc) say here are the rules but we can change or manipulate them to suit ourselves.