PDA

View Full Version : Finally a decent review?

1nando
31st May 2018, 07:32 PM
I thought this was a fair review, what do you think?

https://www.motoring.com.au/nissan-patrol-ti-l-2018-review-112390/

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

AB
31st May 2018, 07:37 PM
The link is broken mate, did they just remove it?

1nando
31st May 2018, 07:41 PM
Try now mate...sorry i think i didnt copy ut properly..

Let me know it its good now
The link is broken mate, did they just remove it?

AB
31st May 2018, 07:51 PM
All working mate...

Around town at 24.2/100 seems extreme though.

Any owners confirm that or was that a decent pedal at lights and intersections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben-e-boy
31st May 2018, 07:59 PM
All working mate...

Pretty sure Mat's does 19 towing the horse float,

1nando
31st May 2018, 08:09 PM
I averave 17-18 around town and 10-12 at 115kmph on the high way not towing. I havent towed with it yet.
I have a series 4 which seems to be a tad more frugal once at speed.
All working mate...

CamJam
31st May 2018, 08:45 PM
Anyone noticed a few more Patrol reviews lately - even prior to the S4 coming out? Perhaps I am just noticing more of them, but here's hoping it starts the swing towards people considering this awesome vehicle. That way, more after-market goodies and retained value!

nissannewby
31st May 2018, 08:56 PM
All working mate...

Yeah I have never got 24 out of mine yet. I think the worst was around.

nissannewby
31st May 2018, 08:56 PM
All working mate...

Yeah I have never got 24 out of mine yet. I think the worst was around 22.

AD07
6th June 2018, 08:34 AM
Yeah I have never got 24 out of mine yet. I think the worst was around 22.

I have a series 1 and just did a simple MAF sensor clean. Probably 80/20 city to highway driving. Went from 15.6 to 14.2 and has stayed there for 2 weeks.
Pretty happy for a 5min job.

Cyclone
30th June 2018, 12:25 PM
Had mine twelve months now. Getting 15/100 round town. 10/100 on a trip to Sydney. 21/100 towing a caravan 2.5ton.

And have not had a speeding ticket for more than 30 years until a got this beast 2 tickets in 6 months. Just love the sound of that V8 when you give it a light boot.

himble
12th July 2018, 07:47 PM
Had mine twelve months now. Getting 15/100 round town. 10/100 on a trip to Sydney. 21/100 towing a caravan 2.5ton.

And have not had a speeding ticket for more than 30 years until a got this beast 2 tickets in 6 months. Just love the sound of that V8 when you give it a light boot.

Just admit it mate, you're a re-born hoon!!:hpfredgeorge1:

Back in the day (many many moons ago) I had several V8s. After getting my Y62 it was hard to NOT misbehave (like I did back then).....and I'm just shy of 70yo!! :cool:

vern
13th July 2018, 01:49 PM
13.6 here, that's everyday driving including towing as we have been moving house, also thats on 94 and 95, i have just been testing different fuels to see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bazzaboy
13th July 2018, 04:40 PM
I have a friend that owns one. He's not happy with the fuel economy, especially when towing, and he came from a late model Cruiser. He's got it on the market for sale. Too thirsty for me. Shame, it' a nice rig and they've got some squirt.

1nando
13th July 2018, 06:56 PM
I have a friend that owns one. He's not happy with the fuel economy, especially when towing, and he came from a late model Cruiser. He's got it on the market for sale. Too thirsty for me. Shame, it' a nice rig and they've got some squirt. So to clarify a few things;

1) the patrol makes 100kws more than a 200 series. Thats 50% more power and 50% more go!

2) the patrol makes 90nm less than the 200. That's a defecit of 13.85% overall. Between 1600pm and 3600rpm its making around 500nm and a max of 560nm at 4400rpm. So its disadvantage to the 200 is roughly 23% torque in the lower rpms.

3) a 200 uses roughly 23% less fuel overall as most new 200s run in the 14s ( L/100km) in suburbia. I use around 18L/100 in suburbia. I usually fill up once ive done around 700km and my mate usually fills up around 850 kms per tank. Its roughly a difference of 150kms.

Now 23% less fuel (generous figure) roughly equals less than $40 per tank (generous; more like $31) of fuel. I cant be bothered going into the full maths and writhing it up.

So to clarify; ive got 50% more power, 13.85% less torque and a fuel running cost of 23% more.

I've also got:
- less to go wrong
- more reliable as theres less to go wrong
- safer overtaking ability. Power when i need it.
- less engine noise
- much cheaper entry price
- better pulling ability

[emoji848] what am i missing here?

Considering the power on tap its actually better than the 200!

CamJam
13th July 2018, 08:30 PM
I have a friend that owns one. He's not happy with the fuel economy, especially when towing, and he came from a late model Cruiser. He's got it on the market for sale. Too thirsty for me. Shame, it' a nice rig and they've got some squirt.

I came from a 2012 LC200 GXL, with a 2016 GXL Prado in between, and after 5000km's the Y62 is using around 2L/100km more than what I got on the diesel LC200. I am getting around 14.5L in driving that the LC200 used around 12.8L/100 in (11.2 in the Prado). And both have/ had a permanent Front Runner rack up top - the Y62 doesn't yet have the bar out the front (which I've found doesn't add much at all - it's only 70kg's and aerodynamics don't really apply to the bluff front).

As 1nando alludes to - I will more than happily pay 2L/100 (indeed, I thought it'd be up to 5L/100 - still may get there) to have no Turbo, no EGR, no DPF, no AdBlue and no need to replace engines (I hope) at 135,000km like my GXL. It's why I went to the 'new' 2.8 Prado after the LC, thinking Diesel was still where it's at and Toyota should surely get an engine right. Nup. That Prado spent 2 of 18 months off the road in dealerships, chewed two DPFs and a drive shaft, had recalls on the rear diff and ECU, and still failed to become reliable by the time I traded it (was squealing like a b*tch when coasting off-power at above 80km/h).

Instead, for 2L/100km I gain back over-taking power and all the other good stuff Nando mentions. No way I'll buy a diesel again (after 40 years of them, including 2 x GU's and a GQ) and no way I'll buy a Toyota 4WD (while they add their Toyota Tax, anyway).

Jackofjr
14th July 2018, 01:11 PM
My Ti has only done a bit over 3100k , I'm on my 5th tank of petrol all fills have been 98 , overall average for the first 4 tanks is 14.2x100 , mostly Highway , county roads driving at the speed limit wherever I can , that calculated by fuel pump and odo reading , not the computer.
I know its only early days but I'm happy enough so far vehicle is still completely stock

The Rhino bar and winch will be fitted next month and I will do some sort of Fitout in the back .
This tank might drag the average down a bit , I have done a few performance runs :smile:

bazzaboy
14th July 2018, 07:07 PM
CamJam,
You don't have to justify the purchase or the fact that you like these, to me. Your certainly entitled to you likes and opinions. But as I said, not for me, too thirsty, regardless of the extra power it makes. I agree with you about all diesels in general and thick my next 4wd will be petrol again.
As for Toyotas, I've had a much better experience with them than any other vehicle I've owned. I had ten years in two 120 series V6 Prados. Both did over 250 thousand K's each and never had a spanner on them. They ran faultlessly and returned about 14 -16 /100, driving local,Hwy, or towing, with more than enough power to spare. I would have bought another one except they stopped making that model.
My current 2014 Y61 Titanium Patrol is a slug in comparison, although I enjoy driving it solo. It's when you put a trailer behind it that you want to slash your wrists.
Anyway .... it will be a difficult choice when the time comes to buy something else.

vern
14th July 2018, 11:20 PM
Funny you say the new patrol is too thirsty for you, yet those fuel figures you posted of your ex prado' s are worse than i get in my patrol. I am confused here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CamJam
15th July 2018, 11:17 AM
There's no justifying here - anyone who buys a vehicle based purely on the head would buy a $10,000 third hand school-run 4WD and pocket the $70,000 in savings. Personally I think anyone who tries to 'justify' a new 4WD purchase is really just trying to convince themselves. I've got no dilemmas in admitting I bought the Y62, in part, based on its looks, size and the power I don't really need at all. There are sooooo many variables out there in an individuals mind and wish list of wants and needs - anyone who knocks another persons choice is a peanut.

Having said that, the Prado 2.8 is, from my experience, a dogs breakfast. It's known for DPF failures (had two, third on its way), driveshaft failures (had that too) and from the 3.0D4D for it's injector failures. Now it's the dusting in the 2.8 as well (this was suspected in causing bearing squealing when I sold it). I bought the Prado after buying into the Toyota reliability myth and it's cost me a fair bit of money. TMCA are great to deal with - right up until the point where it will cost them money for something to be fixed (I can't, however, say that Nissan isn't like this as I haven't needed to ask so far). They stalled on every single fix, every step of the way. It was NOT, however, the dealers. They went above an beyond trying to help out - to the point they showed me the communication between them and head office in Sydney with them pleading my case and the TMCA replies just requesting more tests to be done (which reads as more time off the road at my inconvenience).

If you want Petrol, you're left with (in the affordable > 5 seat market) with the LC200 or Y62.

As for the Y61 Titanium - there's a fair bit out there that would lift it's power just slightly, but enough to make a good difference. Minor chips or remaps, exhaust and better cooling should see a noticeable increase. And they've fixed the ZD30 years ago (which is what the 2.8 is becoming in the Prado/ Hilux/ Fortuner). My bet is that it'll be one of the last half-million kilometre engines with a bit of care.

the evil twin
15th July 2018, 01:49 PM
Sorry Mods but I like Seagulls, Chips and Popcorn so here goes... here are the VFACT Sales figures for calendar year 2017.
Given all 3 "models" in the discussion have been in Oz for several years now so pretty much a level playing field they are interesting.

200 Series... 12,814

Prado... 15,982

Patrol... 916

1nando
15th July 2018, 06:26 PM
Sorry Mods but I like Seagulls, Chips and Popcorn so here goes... here are the VFACT Sales figures for calendar year 2017.
Given all 3 "models" in the discussion have been in Oz for several years now so pretty much a level playing field they are interesting.

200 Series... 12,814

Prado... 15,982

Patrol... 916I'd love to know the faults per vehcile ratio. I'd bet decent money that the Datsun would have the least issues. Thats part of the reason why they outsell those 2 vehciles everywhere else in the world

CamJam
15th July 2018, 06:55 PM
YTD 2018 in the US...

Nissan Patrol = 18,445 (Nissan Armada)
Toyota Prado = 11,670 (Lexus GX)
Toyota Land Cruiser = 1,536

Sales figures are irrelevant and a pointless comparison between cars (Corolla is not the market leading car in any area). It's so heavily led by bias, marketing and government sales in any given country it's not worth it. The fact people raise it at all, to me, suggests the vehicle itself can't stand on it's own in a comparison, and/or the person making the argument doesn't know enough to point out area's of competitive edge over another.

nissannewby
15th July 2018, 07:31 PM
Most of its irrelevant. I bought a Y62 cos I wanted to and it suits my needs. I wanted a patrol not a landcruiser. I only looked at one other option over the y62 and that was an audi Q7 TD V8. I am a diesel fitter and would unlikely buy a modern diesel. The engines themselves are usually pretty good but all the emission crap they put on diesels these days is what kills their reliability and simplicity.

If I cared for fuel economy I would have bought a prius. But I bought a 5.6L V8 that does everything I ask of it with ease and everyone is very comfortable and entertained inside.

I feel there is no real comparison for petrol vs diesel. Diesel might be more fuel efficient but servicing and reliability is getting costly. Petrol is currently 20c/L cheaper here than diesel. So while my fuel bill might be more my servicing and reliability is cheaper/better. Basically I'm saying they are on similar ground for costing in this department and its purely a personal decision.

the evil twin
16th July 2018, 12:53 PM
snip... Sales figures are irrelevant and a pointless comparison between cars... The fact people raise it at all, to me, suggests the vehicle itself can't stand on it's own in a comparison, and/or the person making the argument doesn't know enough to point out area's of competitive edge over another.

Thank you for using the "irrelevant and pointless" US figures against the "irrelevant and pointless" Aus figures to show the "fact" that I am "making an argument" because "I don't "know enough to point out area's of competitive edge" and the "vehicle itself can't stand on it's own in a comparison".

Firstly it isn't an argument and IMHO nissannewby at #24 is on the money.
What I was highlighting was that, in 2017, the competitive edge/s of the Y62 still hasn't translated to vehicle sales and by a factor of more than 10 against the double Hunjy and the Prado.
If the Oz figures are "irrelevant and pointless" then quoting foreign ones back must be even more so.

For the record, I wouldn't buy a Prado even if I won Lotto however I quite like the 200 series.
The Prado's in our work fleet are sick of me abusing them but the 200 pulls one of our boats that weighs in at 3,499.9Kg dry all around W.A. and like it's predecessor has been faultless.
Albeit we killed an SES 200 in the first week we had it at a water crossing when the Driver drowned it and we couldn't get the shit out of the Alternator to get it going.

Also for the record my next Patrol (lucky #7) will be a Y62 even tho Nissan Aust. do their best to stop me with their totally shithouse attitude and zero customer service. How the Dealer franchisees put up with it I do not know...

CamJam
16th July 2018, 08:10 PM
Jeeze - way to jump to a conclusion that it must be personal! AFAIK, you didn't put anything out there to say one was better than the other - sorry if you think I was targeting you, but I wasn't because there's nothing you've said that suggests an argument. If an 'argument' is someone putting up figures, then someone else putting up other figures then that's news to me. If you re-read my post on it then you will see no where do I mention you or your comments. I can, however, see your point and I guess you'll just have to accept that it's likely a poor choice of words by me and if that's how you took it - sorry for that.

Yes, the Y62 still hasn't translated into sales figures. I know when I was looking at my 2016 Prado purchase I didn't even consider the Patrol simply because I remember that when it came out, it was over around $90K drive away - despite me being reasonably active in the 4WD scene nothing triggered a memory to suggest Nissan had lowered their price. No marketing for it and not enough momentum in ownership to hear it by word of mouth. I also waited 4 months for delivery and on two occasions was about to cancel the order due to their lack of knowledge and customer service.

The big difference of a Prado over a LC200 (and the reason I went to the Prado when I sold the 200) is the 750Kg payload on the Prado (similar to Patrol which from memory is 785Kg) versus the 610kg (VX model - Ti equivalent) on the LC200. That's a fair bit of mods that you are able to do on the Patrol or Prado before you hit the payload of a clean-skin LC200. And if you've only lost one LC in the SES you're doing well. So far we're at three Troopy's (one drowned, one rolled and one... melted) and a Hino since around 2003.

the evil twin
13th September 2018, 11:34 AM
Took delivery of my spiffy new Series 4 Y62 Ti yesterday.

Things I have noted so far;
- Face hurts from smiling so much
- Speedo - is overreading by 7% (60 KPH actual is 65 on the Speedo, 100 KPH actual is 107 on the speedo)
- Odometer/Tripmeters - are almost dead accurate +/- maybe 1% at the most (100 Km known survey distance)
- Trip computer fuel - 10.4 LPH Freeway cruise light/med traffic
- Trip computer fuel - 13.3 LPH Urban commuter heavy traffic (Urban med traffic by Syd or Mel standards)
- All around Cams and Zooms are the absolute bomb!!!
- Selectable folding ext mirrors are also good idea
- Factory Exhaust is shyte... that note? on a V8? Really? Mr Nissan obviously has shares in aftermarket Zorsts
- Cruise isn't sensitive enough IE allows a couple too many K's to wash off before it compensates
- Sunroof, ability to give a 360 degree finger to the wankers in their shitty Prados, just awesome
- Series 4 grille and bumper looks great IMHO (some people bag it but it is indeed a subjective view so mine is the only one that counts)

Thats about is so far

Touses
13th September 2018, 02:09 PM
Calling BS on this evil one. Where's the feckin photos of the shite eating grin !!!

the evil twin
13th September 2018, 03:27 PM
Calling BS on this evil one. Where's the feckin photos of the shite eating grin !!!

Here ya go... this is the "just passed another Prado" smile

:eck05:

Touses
13th September 2018, 04:32 PM
Here ya go... this is the "just passed another Prado" smile

:eck05:

Your first selfie?

bjrow
14th September 2018, 03:14 PM
Sweeeeet, love your style.

I like the sunroof comment, may put that into practice I think. Love it!

Cheers BruceR.

the evil twin
18th September 2018, 07:31 PM
https://www.facebook.com/offroadtijuana/videos/1392200157489479/UzpfSTc2Nzk2ODQwOTk0ODExNjoxODY2OTUzOTAwMDQ5NTU2/

ROFL ... I know there are a lot of variables but this is goddam funny (literally)

Plasnart
18th September 2018, 07:48 PM
https://www.facebook.com/offroadtijuana/videos/1392200157489479/UzpfSTc2Nzk2ODQwOTk0ODExNjoxODY2OTUzOTAwMDQ5NTU2/

ROFL ... I know there are a lot of variables but this is goddam funny (literally)

Haha nice. That F truck needs a pallet in the back and a better driver!

nissannewby
20th September 2018, 08:12 PM
Some nice honest feedback from owners on both sides of the fence.

https://youtu.be/k112pjbuzoE

https://youtu.be/4SGA73Th-SU