PDA

View Full Version : New Headlight Bulbs - Best replacement on a GQ?

paulthekelly
14th May 2011, 11:42 PM
The beastie's lights are not so flash these days and I wanted to know two things;

1. What have other GQ owners done to upgrade the headlights on their unit?
2. At what point do you need to upgarde the wiring to a heavier gauge or install a relay (eg on a 100/90 or 130/90 H4)?

Cheers

Paul

XLR8
15th May 2011, 03:09 AM
installing the wiring upgrade and relays will give you an immediate improvement, even with the std sealed beam but if you want the best result fit HID. I recently did mine and am stoked with the result. I used the Britax/Revolution kit which is 55W/6000K Hi/Lo and fitted the Narva semi sealed lenses. The Narva upgrade kits are about $130 and come with 2 x 7" semi sealed lenses, dust covers and 2 x 55/100 Halogen globes. There are cheaper HID kits around on Ebay etc and from most reports, just as good as the more expensive brands but I got a good deal so went that way.

Silver
15th May 2011, 09:07 AM
there are legal issues with HID for on road use that need to be dealt with or ignored :-)

I put in those +40 H4 inserts - and the old Mav came with Hella spot and spread beam driving lights with an aftermarket wiring kit. The Hellas make a real difference.

I have been a long term user of Lightforce for shooting - mate has Roolights on his Tojo which seem quite impressive.

timbar
15th May 2011, 12:09 PM
Thank guys might upgrade my wiring thanx for pointing out my oversight

the evil twin
15th May 2011, 02:50 PM
If you stay with Halogen I'd upgrade the wiring even with stock globes as it even makes a difference to them.

90/130's will burn out the control stalk switch without relays and also potentially melt the earth pin on the headlight plugs so check the earths.

HID's are easily the best option but stick with the diffuser in the lense of the lamp. Yes, they are illegal but thats the kindest option for oncoming drivers. At this point it should be noted that 90 watt low beams are also illegal so you may as well go HID.

I found that the ultra white or blue "plus" light globes from Philips and Narva etc in standard wattage are equal or better than 90/130's but that was too my eyes so others may disagree.

maque
3rd June 2011, 06:15 PM
apology if i am making this thread. I am trying to put blue headlight 80 watt bulbs didn't work so i tried to put the originals back in that side and blew both blue headlight bulbs.Has anyone put higher wattage bulbs? and ran into any problems? any response. apology for this one really need your help. thanks!

-2008 Nissan Patrol - blue headlight bulbs (http://www.stylintrucks.com/category/lighting/bulbs.aspx)
-2007 Suburban 3LT - blue headlight bulbs
-2007 Haulmark Enclosed Car hauler
-2001 Pewter Z/28
-2000 NBM Camaro

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 06:35 PM
apology if i am making this thread. I am trying to put blue headlight 80 watt bulbs didn't work so i tried to put the originals back in that side and blew both blue headlight bulbs.Has anyone put higher wattage bulbs? and ran into any problems? any response. apology for this one really need your help. thanks!

I'm assuming this is your 2008 Patrol you are talking about?
There's something strange going on here. Are the original bulbs (that you blew both of) also blue?
Did you clean the bulbs before you switched them the lights on? If you don't clean them carefully to remove the oil from your skin after touching the glass it can cause hot spots which will crack the glass and blow the bulb.

Tony

paulthekelly
14th June 2011, 11:23 PM
Well after a few weeks of Humming and Ahhh-ing I really have to do something soon about these dull-as-dishwater lights. The low beams are fine for suburban traffic, but on the feeder road on Perth's southside, coming home at night with a car a kmor so in front, the low beams suck.
Something has to be done. Are HIDs the way to go? Or should I get a H4 Convo kit (is so which one and where), upgrade the wiring and build a relay set? Help Im confus-a-fied!
PK

big_fletch
14th June 2011, 11:32 PM
I just converted TUR7LE's headlights in his GQ from standard to 55w HID Kits and I have done my GU as well.. I will post some pics up tommorrow for you but the difference is incredible.. Made an absolute massive difference and as far as I'm concerned its the way to go, regardless of the fact they are technically illegal..

Option B as said above would be new light inserts and new good quality globes, then relay and run thicker wiring to lights.. Should make lights better at night..

Depends how bright you would like to go Haha

nowoolies
14th June 2011, 11:49 PM
Well after a few weeks of Humming and Ahhh-ing I really have to do something soon about these dull-as-dishwater lights. The low beams are fine for suburban traffic, but on the feeder road on Perth's southside, coming home at night with a car a kmor so in front, the low beams suck.
Something has to be done. Are HIDs the way to go? Or should I get a H4 Convo kit (is so which one and where), upgrade the wiring and build a relay set? Help Im confus-a-fied!
PK

put H I D`s in mate changed the factory globes over to them and what a differance
dont use the 55 watt the coppers are straight onto those
i have 35 watt and i recon about 10 times the light

YNOT
15th June 2011, 04:13 AM
If you do fit HID bulbs to your headlights please aim them down as they blind oncoming drivers if you don't.

Tony

paulthekelly
17th June 2011, 10:54 PM
Ok heres the plan;

1. picked up a set of replacement headlight inserts on Ebay. $45
2. Neighbour's driver is a leccie, he's already offered to make me a relay and do the wire-up, with beefed up wires. $Carton
3. Bulbs. Philips Xtreme-power or Narva Blue+90
3 & 1/2 If the Blue+90 doesn't make a huge difference, I'll go the HID's
I'll take some before and after pix to show the difference.

big_fletch
18th June 2011, 09:31 AM
Sounds good mate, let us know how you go with it

paulthekelly
18th June 2011, 09:30 PM
Update: Scored a pair of Phillips +100 Xtremes last night on ebay.
So once i get the beefed up relay in, and replaced the reflectors, I'll try the Phillips. If I'm not convinced there's a difference, I'll switch over to 100/80w or 130/100w plain H4s.
I'm getting a warning buzzer fitted at the same time so that if I leave me headlights on at work (again......) it'll beep at me when I switch off the ignition.

paulthekelly
23rd June 2011, 09:26 PM
The globes arrived today!
The lenses shouldn't be far away.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the beefed up relay?

patch697
23rd June 2011, 09:42 PM
The globes arrived today!
The lenses shouldn't be far away.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the beefed up relay?

Just make sure you get The relays with the right amp rating ( 40 to 50 amp rated relays will be fine in this application )

New era do a 50 amp rated, fused duel bank relay that a popular choice in this type of upgrade for around $35.oo These can be sourced from most auto elecs

Ducattirp
3rd December 2011, 12:00 AM
I've just replaced my standard bulbs with the new Phillips X-treme Vision and the result is excellent. Way more brighter, whiter light. Phillips reckon it's a 100% improvement and I think they could be right. Great fun getting the bulbs out of course, those damn plugs are so tight on the back but I used a blast of WD40 and a big flat blade screwdriver and it worked. That also then makes the rubber gaiter nice and slippery to get hold of when you try and pull it off. I'd recommend taking the air filter lid off and use a pair of pliers to move the bulb back into position on left side.

patch697
3rd December 2011, 12:22 AM
I've just replaced my standard bulbs with the new Phillips X-treme Vision and the result is excellent. Way more brighter, whiter light. Phillips reckon it's a 100% improvement and I think they could be right. Great fun getting the bulbs out of course, those damn plugs are so tight on the back but I used a blast of WD40 and a big flat blade screwdriver and it worked. That also then makes the rubber gaiter nice and slippery to get hold of when you try and pull it off. I'd recommend taking the air filter lid off and use a pair of pliers to move the bulb back into position on left side.

The headlight plugs have built in retainer clips which is why they don't just come off in your hand. You need to depress both sides of the plug in order to remove them as a rule.

I trialed the Philips X-treme globes & to tell you the truth I found them bto be lacking for the price....

You can get globes that will surpass an X-treme for half the cost & spend the money you save on headlight wiring upgrades & new inserts which well give you a vast improvement again in the quality & light output.

Ducattirp
3rd December 2011, 01:28 AM
Did you try X-treme Power or X-treme Vision? I'm using Vision which replaces Power and is brighter. I think my old Osram bulbs were pretty knack'd anyway, so that's why I'm so happy.... :-)

Skull
5th December 2011, 09:27 PM
Quick hi-jack..... Does anybody know if the opperating temperature of HID is higher or lower than a standard fillament halogen??? Just concerned about melting light reflectors and lens's.

big_fletch
5th December 2011, 11:08 PM
Quick hi-jack..... Does anybody know if the opperating temperature of HID is higher or lower than a standard fillament halogen??? Just concerned about melting light reflectors and lens's.

I have done some testing in this actually with my kits and some through work.. 35w is not as hot as a standard globe, 55w is just slightly hotter, 70 watt is about the same as a 100w halogen globe and a 100 w HID globe is very hot and I probably wouldn't recommend in a plastic Driving light which is why I got the Hella Rallye 4000 which is metal and glass.. I run 55w Hid in my headlights in my troll and they are fine but wouldn't go any higher than that..

35w is a good upgrade for better light, 55w is just bloody brilliant but prepare to get flashed a lot unless you have them aimed very low

Skull
6th December 2011, 12:36 AM
Thank big_fletch.
I run the Jay car 35w set up in mine. Was thinking about stepping up to the 55W with my new truck. Was just a little concerned as my GUIII seems to have glass H/L lens's but the GUIV and up seem to be plastic H/L lens's. Was worried the extra heat might begin to yellow or burn the lens. Still undecided as to which way I will go. I hate it when someone coming at me is blinding me and I can't see a thing. Just driving by the line down my passenger side. If a roo jumped out i'd be screwed. Hate to do that to every bugger I passed. Esspecially being a lil higher up. Thanks for the info anyway.

Robo
17th January 2012, 11:45 PM
You will still blind everyone as you come over a rise , and 35w hid are just as bad as 55w hid they are both to bright, and the cops will have you either way.
Don't know if legal or not, but the new clear lens, and focus reflector lights available, work better than traditional semi sealed, especially with defuser removed, but think to remove this and possibly remain legal globes need painted/sealed tips. may be someone else here knows.
Something to do with if the someone looks at the light they cant see anything else hence covered tip. so the story goes.
+20% waste of time/money, go +50%.
std type globe around 5000 Kelvin white light.
Those 8k blue-ish ones are no good on a wet Rd at night. actually there dangerous. you cant see.
Cheers

Aggressive 4x4
21st February 2012, 12:05 AM
Hi Guy's , I just upgraded my origianal sealed beam to Narva H4 glassed housings with phillips +100 globes as they are standard 55/60 but puts out 90/100 with no need for replay, etc. as theres no more current draw and they a bright enough that people flash me until i flick high beam on them. 100% improvement with little cost involved.

Mrowka
7th March 2012, 10:30 PM
I have some kind of IPF bulbs and relays (as well as IPF headlight housings) in mine. Major improvement over stock.

Robo
8th March 2012, 12:52 AM

supposed to be lower for equal wattage.
they are just plain dangerous on the rd for low beam, keep hid where they belong.
Hi beam and open Rd with no one around to blind.
Mate I have em in my 2 cars and love em but hi beam only and spotties.
please do the same.

Cheers.

cookpa
4th April 2012, 10:04 PM
i just brought a set of crystal performance semi sealed h4 lenses and stuck in the narva h4 60/55 plus 50% gave me fantastic lights with no further drain on my electrical system !

Robo
5th April 2012, 12:07 PM
Thank big_fletch.
I run the Jay car 35w set up in mine. Was thinking about stepping up to the 55W with my new truck. Was just a little concerned as my GUIII seems to have glass H/L lens's but the GUIV and up seem to be plastic H/L lens's. Was worried the extra heat might begin to yellow or burn the lens. Still undecided as to which way I will go. I hate it when someone coming at me is blinding me and I can't see a thing. Just driving by the line down my passenger side. If a roo jumped out i'd be screwed. Hate to do that to every bugger I passed. Esspecially being a lil higher up. Thanks for the info anyway.
Do the Jaycar hid's take a little while to warm up when you turn em on.
Flash followed buy approx 4 seconds time to 1/2 decent lighting again

97_gq_lwb
5th April 2012, 12:19 PM
How do they go with water crossings i have one h4 on the left wich i noticed has a few inches of water in it.
The old sealed beam on the right is of course dry lol.
Was thinking of an upgrade if not i'll just stick another sealed beam in the passenger side.

cookpa
5th April 2012, 06:49 PM
with the h4 ,s just make sure the rubber boots are on the light around the globe ,they are a nice tight fit

Robo
6th April 2012, 01:17 AM
How do they go with water crossings i have one h4 on the left wich i noticed has a few inches of water in it.
The old sealed beam on the right is of course dry lol.
Was thinking of an upgrade if not i'll just stick another sealed beam in the passenger side.

My 4x4 is a tow pony so sealed beam isn't needed.
Had H4 Hella,and was not happy.
I Now run those clear reflector lens available on ebay for as little as $30pr+ postage.
Probably a 20% increase in light output with the defuser.
Remove the defuser inside lens + approx 30% more light again.
Its a little tricky to get defuser out, you have to crush/cut it abit to fit it out threw hole, and not scratch inside lens.
Think they/these ones, may not be legal due to focus is wider than std, but I work on the Rd for a living at night and I can't tell em apart from other late mod cars out there.
You may just need to install a globe that has the tip painted to remedy removing defuser in the lens to keep this part legal, some old rule about how looking directly at the light blinds people or some cr#p.
Personally think lighting has moved way beyond this but thems the rules.
Recon for the price it's worth given them a go.
See if ya can seal em up , if successful you won't go back.
And with a globe up-grade +50, 5500k-6000k.
Iv'e had these for a yr now, think +20 and 5500k and only last week I still told my missus how impressed I am with the setup again
Cheers.:bananarock: