PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a new V8 Patrol

Jackofjr
3rd May 2018, 07:17 PM
G'day All

As the title says I'm thinking of buying a new Patrol , I have prices on a 200-GXL and a VX Landcruisers but I had a look at a couple of Patrols today , there seem to be a lot more bang for your buck with a Patrol and these new CRD motors with DPF's sure seem to have a few problems

I will have a look around and a read of info on the forum , I guess the big thing is one is Diesel and the other Petrol , anyone have some real world fuel consumption numbers

I have a Isuzu Dmax extra cab , tray atm , towing a Tvan . We have just returned from a trip of about 11.5K to the Gulf , Lorella Springs the Dmax is very economical , I like to travel at about 100kph , plus maybe a couple more , same speed as Trucks / Road trains they don't have to overtake me and I rarely need to round them up , driving at 85/90 to save fuel that's not me .

I do a lot of High Country trips

I would have to rethink the way I carry all my junk with a wagon , where do I put the smelly stuff , chain saw , fuel ect . its easy with a tray .

anyway I would like some real info from owners , good / bad .

regards Jacko

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2018, 07:26 PM
I am prepared to test drive it for you. Ill gove it a good run. Say a weekend to be fair!!

Beast car mate!

Toyotas are for wankers and brain washed fools who cant see past the badge.

Sooooo much more bang for buck. 300kw cause you can!!

nissannewby
3rd May 2018, 07:34 PM
I have real world fuel consumption figures in my thread in this y62 section.

Get one mate. You wont ever look back. Such a great car.

Jackofjr
4th May 2018, 12:46 AM
I have real world fuel consumption figures in my thread in this y62 section.

Get one mate. You wont ever look back. Such a great car.

Thanks for the reply

I had a flick through your thread , a best of 15.6 and a worst of 19.3 is that right . Nissan claim a combined average of 14.4 , would 17-18 be more like it
I see the specs call for min of 95RON , I wonder if that would be a problem in the OutBack where they have that stuff ya cant get high on if you sniff it .
Is there much aftermarket gear available , Winch Bars , Side rails ect
They have 18" wheels std , is there any 17" aftermarked ones that are legal .( I really would prefer 16 inch ) I do a fair bit of 4wding in the Vic Highcountry .

Regards Jacko

nissannewby
4th May 2018, 08:26 AM
Best of 15.6 and worst at 22. Mine is a 2013 but the newer ones apparently are slightly better on fuel. The new engines have variable exhaust and intake timing. My one only has variable intake.
They run fine on the lower octane fuels so outback fuel shouldnt be to much of a problem.

Yes there is a little bit of gear out there for them not quite as much as for the y61 but you can wrap them in barwork like most others just manufacturers are limited.

You will most likely need to stay with 18" wheels. These things have massive brakes hence 18s. You might get away with a 17 but it would need a huge offset and I think this is unlikely. Remember you can put 35s on these legally.

the evil twin
4th May 2018, 10:29 AM
If 95RON is a concern you can carry a small bottle or two of octane additives.

My daughter does that for her Works Special Mini as higher octane fuel can be a PIA to get outside major regionals or along the Nullabor here in WA

Jackofjr
4th May 2018, 03:18 PM
I have found a YouTube Channel of a bloke that has a Y62 , he has fitted some 17" wheels , so it looks like it can be done .
The idea of 35inch tyres sounds good but what effect has it on performance , gearing , fuel , breaking ect . I don't know .
I wouldn't be looking to weigh the thing down with a lot of bar work , something on the front just to mount a winch , as most of you probably know its very easy to add weight and be over GVM .
The local Nissan Dealer has 3 Patrols a Ti , Ti-L and a series 3 demo Ti , all 3 have been on the lot for a while , certainly not fast sellers around here anyway , I would need to check the actual build dates .
I see a 20K price difference between a LC200 GXL and a Ti is often mentioned on the net , the figure I have is $8800 difference and the GXL still looks like a poverty pack compared to the Ti

1nando
4th May 2018, 08:21 PM
I have found a YouTube Channel of a bloke that has a Y62 , he has fitted some 17" wheels , so it looks like it can be done .
The idea of 35inch tyres sounds good but what effect has it on performance , gearing , fuel , breaking ect . I don't know .
I wouldn't be looking to weigh the thing down with a lot of bar work , something on the front just to mount a winch , as most of you probably know its very easy to add weight and be over GVM .
The local Nissan Dealer has 3 Patrols a Ti , Ti-L and a series 3 demo Ti , all 3 have been on the lot for a while , certainly not fast sellers around here anyway , I would need to check the actual build dates .
I see a 20K price difference between a LC200 GXL and a Ti is often mentioned on the net , the figure I have is $8800 difference and the GXL still looks like a poverty pack compared to the TiWe bought ours to replace a heavily modified HD 110 defender. We needed a family friendly spacious vehicle for our growing family. The boxes i needed to tick were safety, space, comfort, offroad ability and power.

So my research led me to 4 options. 1. pajero exceed, 2. disco 5, 3. 200 series 4. Patrol
Now to be honest the patrol only became an option after i stumbled on Daves you tube channel now know as "dash offroad".

We (the mrs and i) looked carefuly at all the options and i honestly thought id walk away with the pajero as i thought it was excellent value for money, has a reliablity reputation that most cant match and genuinely like the look of them kitted out. Anyway mrs hated it and said it looked cheap with too much plastic. Fair enough i said.
Disco 5........reads well on paper but i just couldnt handle all the electrics. Honestly its fancier than my phone. Being a LR man at heart driving a disco would make me feel like im almost cheating on a partner as to me LR stands for extreme adventure and disco is no defender! Also all new untested engine and platform.....ruled out. Mrs liked it i didnt so all things being fair we ruled it out as she hated the pajero.
200 gxl is what we tested as the sahara was way too expensive. I refuse to spend that on a jap car! Well ticked a lot of boxes but i just couldnt understand the price point and why so many people are attracted to them. In saying that it was leading the race and i thought thats probably going to be it.

Now i mentioned that i stumbled onto the patrol after coming across Daves youtube cgannel the night after testing the 200. First impression was POWER and lots of it. Looking further into it and researching further i found the TI represented excellent value for money and left decent money in the budget for some camp friendly mods and accessories to be fitted in time. So after all this researching and dreaming of ideas we went to our local nissan dealer and looked at one. Mrs sat in it and loved it! The rest is history. Paid $77k for a series 4 TI with extended warranty, rear tow kit and front tinted windows. I was happy with that price.

Fuel so far after 15000kms (and i have never reset the computer since day 1) is reading 14 liters per 100km average. Now i live in the eastern suburbs of sydeny so half those kms have been in stop start traffic. On the highway at 115kms i get 10-12 and 17-20 around the eastern suburbs.

If u do a lot of stop start driving and love economy this is not the car for you! People will provably blast me for that comment but its true. The thing is capable of drinking more than an Ashes winning cricket team combined!
But what it does have is decent highway driving economy, power that no other equivalent 4wd can match and safety. Did i say power....
I put my family in it, set the gps to my location get on the motorway and set the cruise control on 115km and relax...........unitl i see a 200 and absolutely blast past them on purpose. I know; im a big kid at heart! Love it

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

threedogs
5th May 2018, 03:09 PM
nissannewby they are very good figures for the Y62
a local guy with the V8 troopy First model gets 10 per 100 kph
How true that is I dint kmow take it a grain of salt a troopy is a big heavy brick.
I had a SBC in a troopy HWY I returned 18/100kph off road I used gas.
The new V8s are very efficient these days and bang for buck my money would be on the Y62 every day
of the week

Jackofjr
7th May 2018, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info , I haven't decided yet still seeing what's around , there is a few new Y62's in yards around here and quite a few on carsales , most of them have been on the lot for some time , still 2017 models some series 3 and some series 4 , is there much difference between the 2 ,
I was told that the auto is a CVT is that right .
Regards Jacko

1nando
7th May 2018, 08:56 PM
Ill put it simply for you;

If you want power, reliabilty, space, comfort, mod cons and more power then the y62 is for you.

If you want economy then the y62 isnt for you. They arent as bad as the reviews but they're no 4 cylinder diesel thats for sure. In saying that a y62 would drag any of the 4 and 5 cylinder diesels to the scrap yard.

The 200 provides a lot of what the 62 provides at a ridiculous entry point and isnt as frugal as reported. The reliabilty of them isnt what Toyota leads you to believe and they're not even in the same field when it comes to power.

Coming from a dmax you may very well have unrealistic fuel expectations for the 62 and you definitely will be impressed with the power on offer. You have to remind yourself that the 62 has twice the power plus some of the dmax. It will move when u want it too and those horses need feeding.

I have no doubt a 200 would chew close to the same fuel if it produced the same power, but it doesnt.

Test drive all, enjoy the experience and then consider your requirements and buy accordingly.

I've had a 200 owner tell me i was cheap for buying a patrol. "Couldnt afford a 200" he says yet i live in the eastern suburbs of sydeny and my house could buy 3 or 4 of his.....fkn moron... If i was to spend 130k on a sahara or more id be buying a European car and not a jap car thats for sure! Plus the y62 is a better vehicle in my opinion!

The truth is money was never an issue, i just refuse to be ripped off! This same bloke then talks about economy which makes his first statement a double standard.

Write a list of your requirements and then test drive all your options and pick the one that ticks most boxes.
Thanks for the info , I haven't decided yet still seeing what's around , there is a few new Y62's in yards around here and quite a few on carsales , most of them have been on the lot for some time , still 2017 models some series 3 and some series 4 , is there much difference between the 2 ,
I was told that the auto is a CVT is that right .
Regards Jacko

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatal

fits5
8th May 2018, 09:17 AM
Simply put, the Y62 is a damn great vehicle. Not perfect but value for money, nothing comes close. Outback touring or rough off road it excels. I've done over 50,000km in mine in the past 2 years(now has 90,000km on the clock) and love it. Yes it can drink a bit but driven sensibly it returns pretty good figures on the open road. If I run the 275/70 18 A/T's and sit on 100 I get 13.4l/100k. Towing a Tambo Cooper camper trailer with the same wheels gets me 15.9l/100k. Running the 305/70 18 Muddies in the High Country returns 19.7l/100k (actual kilometres are higher due to the rolling diameter so fuel is better than recorded). That's with TJM full bulbar, 9" spotties, roof rack, dual battery system and 5 occupants.

Standard equipment compared to the 200 is brilliant. The throttle control modes work really well and the front traction control stays on in low range virtually locking the front diff.

The auto could do with a bit more manual control in my opinion. Down shifts are only allowed at lower revs, but first gear low range reduction is far better than my old RD28 GU.

I run mine happily on 91 octane fuel if I can't get 95. Never bother with 98 unless it's being discounted. Bugger all difference in usage or performance.

Jackofjr
13th May 2018, 08:04 PM
G'day Guys
Can I ask another question . Those of you that do real 4WDing have you had any problems with breaking CV's .

I get up the Vic Highcountry a lot , my Dmax is very good at busting CV's , I have had other IFS 4wds and I have never seen anything break as easy as Dmax CV's , its not just me either I know of plenty of others that have done the same .

Dash Cam of my second CV going crunch , how easy was this , my son was driving on a track I have driven countless times over many years , without any problems .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUZaF-F51Yk&t=69s

Thanks regards Jacko

nissannewby
14th May 2018, 09:18 PM
I havent had any problems and have used it quite a bit now. I havent really heard of anyone else having cv problems. They are a different animal compared to anythimg else. Everything can be approached with so much control and with rear locker and 4wd system it just eats most things.

Mushie
18th June 2018, 01:19 PM
Hi all, I am also looking into one of these. I was looking at a Prado, but didnt think the boot space was big enough - really not much bigger then my 2003 X trail, so I thought I'd go test drive the Patrol. My gut feel was that it was going to be a truck and hate the size of the thing for parking in a supermarket, but both my wife and I were surprised - great fun to drive. (Plus I am concerned about the DPF issue that doesnt appear to be sorted)

My question is when driving up mountains in windy roads, does it sway around much, or does the hydraulic suspension actually work to prevent this.
Also I have heard a few issues with the cruise control not maintaining speed very well. Can any one here offer comment?

Jackofjr
18th June 2018, 02:19 PM
I pick my Patrol up tomorrow morning , so give me a week or so and I will be happy to answer any questions
DPF you do realise these Patrols are a V8 petrol so they have no DPF .

Mushie
18th June 2018, 02:51 PM
I pick my Patrol up tomorrow morning , so give me a week or so and I will be happy to answer any questions
DPF you do realise these Patrols are a V8 petrol so they have no DPF .

Yep, I was referring to the DPF issue on the Prado. One of the main things pulling me towards the Y62 is the fact that its not a smelly diesel. It is looking like the simple reliable diesel of the past is no longer relvant with all the new emmissions controls.
A quick google suggests that getting ULP in the middle of the outback isnt too big of an issue (except maybe the canning stock route).

I look forward to hearing how you find your new steed!

1nando
18th June 2018, 05:21 PM
Hi all, I am also looking into one of these. I was looking at a Prado, but didnt think the boot space was big enough - really not much bigger then my 2003 X trail, so I thought I'd go test drive the Patrol. My gut feel was that it was going to be a truck and hate the size of the thing for parking in a supermarket, but both my wife and I were surprised - great fun to drive. (Plus I am concerned about the DPF issue that doesnt appear to be sorted)

My question is when driving up mountains in windy roads, does it sway around much, or does the hydraulic suspension actually work to prevent this.
Also I have heard a few issues with the cruise control not maintaining speed very well. Can any one here offer comment?

Thanks :)The body roll is excellent for close to a 3 ton vehcile. Excellent! In fact i would argue that its better than most.

I have a series 4 Ti and the cruise control is great. I've done nearly 18000 kms in 6 months including trips from sydeny to adeliade, Melbourne x 2, blue mountains, gulgong, mildura and a lot of others i cant think of right now but i never once thought the cruise control wasnt great.

The biggest issues with this vehicle are the stupid rear folding seats which dont fold flat, the Speedo is out by a lot (122km on the Speedo is actually 110km), the fuel gauge reads very conservatively and looks lower than what you're lead to belive. (good thing depending on how you perceive it i suppose)
Other than that all good

CamJam
18th June 2018, 06:02 PM
The body roll is excellent for close to a 3 ton vehcile. Excellent! In fact i would argue that its better than most.

I have a series 4 Ti and the cruise control is great. I've done nearly 18000 kms in 6 months including trips from sydeny to adeliade, Melbourne x 2, blue mountains, gulgong, mildura and a lot of others i cant think of right now but i never once thought the cruise control wasnt great.

The biggest issues with this vehicle are the stupid rear folding seats which dont fold flat, the Speedo is out by a lot (122km on the Speedo is actually 110km), the fuel gauge reads very conservatively and looks lower than what you're lead to belive. (good thing depending on how you perceive it i suppose)
Other than that all good

Having just come from a 2016 Prado with a 2.8 - I can absolutely state that there is less body roll in the Y62, far less nose-diving under deceleration and far less wandering on the road than the Prado. I had to get OME suspension just to compensate and make it a 'normal' car. Even then, the Y62 is far superior to that.

And yep - was on the third DPF.

Go the simple V8. I will never, ever look back at diesel again.

1nando
18th June 2018, 07:44 PM
Having just come from a 2016 Prado with a 2.8 - I can absolutely state that there is less body roll in the Y62, far less nose-diving under deceleration and far less wandering on the road than the Prado. I had to get OME suspension just to compensate and make it a 'normal' car. Even then, the Y62 is far superior to that.

And yep - was on the third DPF.

Go the simple V8. I will never, ever look back at diesel again.Honestly i work with diesel trucks everyday of my life and truth be told if nissan had the 5ltr v8 cummins diesel in it id buy it over the petrol everyday of the week. However they dont and the v8 petrol is a smart choice as a result. Diesels with dpf's and egr's need serious milage and hours put on them weekly, and you might find this hard to believe but a good thrashing every other day. Worst thing you can do is drive around like miss daisy and start clogging up the whole system.
The v8 in the Patrol does have a lot of benefits but if pushed it will drink more than an Ashes winning Australian team combined. In saying that the running costs over 150000kms would probably be cheaper to run than a 200 diesel for example. If a fuel system component goes on a modern day diesel get ready to pay big dollars, probably enough to fuel your patrol for the next 2 years and considering the cheaper entry price when buying your miles ahead.

CamJam
18th June 2018, 09:08 PM
Honestly i work with diesel trucks everyday of my life and truth be told if nissan had the 5ltr v8 cummins diesel in it id buy it over the petrol everyday of the week. However they dont and the v8 petrol is a smart choice as a result. Diesels with dpf's and egr's need serious milage and hours put on them weekly, and you might find this hard to believe but a good thrashing every other day. Worst thing you can do is drive around like miss daisy and start clogging up the whole system.
The v8 in the Patrol does have a lot of benefits but if pushed it will drink more than an Ashes winning Australian team combined. In saying that the running costs over 150000kms would probably be cheaper to run than a 200 diesel for example. If a fuel system component goes on a modern day diesel get ready to pay big dollars, probably enough to fuel your patrol for the next 2 years and considering the cheaper entry price when buying your miles ahead.

Generally a true statement on DPFs - but that's not the problem with the 2.8's on the Prado, Hilux or Fortuner. It's a design fault that has them unable to reach operating temperatures above around 80km/h. They receive too much wind at over 100km/h, which means they don't hit operating temperatures. What I have said comes from emails I have from Toyota Head Office, and is also from the Japanese Engineer that came out and spoke with him in February to look at my vehicle. It was after around two months of me complaining and being fobbed off with the 'take it out and give it a drive' thing from every mechanic and wannabe from Toyota. And I have never been too much of a light-foot (except so far on the Y62 - I'll give it a couple of thousand kilometres. Not to say I haven't booted it whenever someone new jumps in...). They have changed an ECU to hit a Regen far more often and added a paragraph to the Owners Manual - and that's it for now.

I put on 62,000km on the 2016 Prado in the 18 months I had it. It was not a school-run van. Add a loss of compression in a cylinder (apparently a first for this - hence the Japanese coming to have a look), a huge squealing sound coming from around the DPF (but it wasn't the DPF - they put 5 x microphones around it to check) and ridiculous week-long drop-off's at Toyota so they could try and fix it and I gave up. That's before the EGR needed a clean, even though I had a catch-can (Provent200 - so one of the best and an original one) - which Toyota did for free as a sign of good will. Can't fault the fact they tried to help - they really did. But it's a design fault that I was told I didn't need to worry about as they'd always be able to fix it again - great advice for the middle of the West Mcdonnell Ranges. I also countered about the 3.0L injector issues and asked if they were doing them for free for previous customers... I have emails from Toyota indicating a more permanent fix is in the testing phase, for release October this year. I couldn't wait that long. Whoever is first to the market with a high-flow Turbo-Back and inclusive of a high-flow DPF that is made for Prado and Hilux will make a killing...

I'll take a simple, non-DPF, non-EGR, non-Turbo motor any day of the week. Those three things rule out diesel in Australia now - so Petrol for me all the way! And if you're shopping for that, you have (if you need 6+ seats as I do) the Y62, LC200, Range Rover or the G-wagon (until the Disco5 comes out with a petrol ingenium engine). With 5 seats or less, add Jeep and Velar I guess... the list isn't huge.

1nando
18th June 2018, 09:14 PM
Generally a true statement on DPFs - but that's not the problem with the 2.8's on the Prado, Hilux or Fortuner. It's a design fault that has them unable to reach operating temperatures above around 80km/h. They receive too much wind at over 100km/h, which means they don't hit operating temperatures. What I have said comes from emails I have from Toyota Head Office, and is also from the Japanese Engineer that came out and spoke with him in February to look at my vehicle. It was after around two months of me complaining and being fobbed off with the 'take it out and give it a drive' thing from every mechanic and wannabe from Toyota. And I have never been too much of a light-foot (except so far on the Y62 - I'll give it a couple of thousand kilometres. Not to say I haven't booted it whenever someone new jumps in...). They have changed an ECU to hit a Regen far more often and added a paragraph to the Owners Manual - and that's it for now.

I put on 62,000km on the 2016 Prado in the 18 months I had it. It was not a school-run van. Add a loss of compression in a cylinder (apparently a first for this - hence the Japanese coming to have a look), a huge squealing sound coming from around the DPF (but it wasn't the DPF - they put 5 x microphones around it to check) and ridiculous week-long drop-off's at Toyota so they could try and fix it and I gave up. That's before the EGR needed a clean, even though I had a catch-can (Provent200 - so one of the best and an original one) - which Toyota did for free as a sign of good will. Can't fault the fact they tried to help - they really did. But it's a design fault that I was told I didn't need to worry about as they'd always be able to fix it again - great advice for the middle of the West Mcdonnell Ranges. I also countered about the 3.0L injector issues and asked if they were doing them for free for previous customers... I have emails from Toyota indicating a more permanent fix is in the testing phase, for release October this year. I couldn't wait that long. Whoever is first to the market with a high-flow Turbo-Back and inclusive of a high-flow DPF that is made for Prado and Hilux will make a killing...

I'll take a simple, non-DPF, non-EGR, non-Turbo motor any day of the week. Those three things rule out diesel in Australia now - so Petrol for me all the way! And if you're shopping for that, you have (if you need 6+ seats as I do) the Y62, LC200, Range Rover or the G-wagon (until the Disco5 comes out with a petrol ingenium engine). With 5 seats or less, add Jeep and Velar I guess... the list isn't huge.I didnt realise the 2.8 was so bad......

glend32000
26th June 2018, 11:31 AM
We are also looking at a new Patrol at the moment, the minster of finance can't quite get her head around the 'wood' inserts. Has anyone removed them? Was wonder how hard it would be to remove and wrap in something more pleasing.
Thanks, Glen.

CamJam
26th June 2018, 07:09 PM
We are also looking at a new Patrol at the moment, the minster of finance can't quite get her head around the 'wood' inserts. Has anyone removed them? Was wonder how hard it would be to remove and wrap in something more pleasing.
Thanks, Glen.

Jump on the Y62 Aussie Patrol facebook site for plenty of pictures of people wrapping them in carbon look or similar. I've found it's grown on me, especially at night - with the lighting I can imagine I'm in a luxury car and it looks pretty speccy.

MB TD42
26th June 2018, 09:17 PM
Might be a nice rig but cant see myself spending 100k on a rig that will only last 5 years...I mean how much can you get out of an alloy petrol 4wd motor these days with all those electronics...the electrics are only good for 5 before you start chasing your tail with faults. i recon we're gonna see a fair few burn to the ground in a few years ;) :P

Clunk
26th June 2018, 09:32 PM
Might be a nice rig but cant see myself spending 100k on a rig that will only last 5 years...I mean how much can you get out of an alloy petrol 4wd motor these days with all those electronics...the electrics are only good for 5 before you start chasing your tail with faults. i recon we're gonna see a fair few burn to the ground in a few years ;) :PProbably more years than you can get out of these modern diesels [emoji13]

MB TD42
26th June 2018, 09:38 PM
Probably more years than you can get out of these modern diesels [emoji13]

Gorrr geez...what could go wrong with 2.3 twin turbo pulling a 3o foot caravan...

CamJam
27th June 2018, 08:04 AM
Might be a nice rig but cant see myself spending 100k on a rig that will only last 5 years...I mean how much can you get out of an alloy petrol 4wd motor these days with all those electronics...the electrics are only good for 5 before you start chasing your tail with faults. i recon we're gonna see a fair few burn to the ground in a few years ;) :P

Seeing as my LC200 motor lasted 135,000km (2012 GXL) and my last Prado 2.8 had the signs of failure at 60,000km - I reckon a petrol motor with no DPF, no EGR, no Ad Blue, no turbo's will shape up pretty well. They've both got just as many electronics that can go wrong now - not like the ol' 4.2 I had. Ask a few 70' series LC guys how their alternator goes in river crossings and whether the motor keeps chugging on after it...

Mushie
28th June 2018, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Glen.

I am about to go buy one tonight - After weeks of reading reviews, forums (mostly here - thanks everyone), test driving, more test driving, few sleepless nights....

But I agree one of my main thoughts has been, that fake wood is so 1980's, I had been thinking if there was some glued backed something that you could carefully stencil/cut and stick on....but then I probably wont be bothered in the end.
The other 3 little things I was trying to come to terms with were (on a car this expensive):
- the dash in front of the driver is a little dated as well compared to a few other cars I test drove
- the seats could hug the driver a little more, I found I slid around in the big seats when corning (we do alot of km's on windy roads)
- no rear cross traffic alert in a car this big (this one my wife has the biggest problem with)

But I think its going to be an awesome camping car for the family and eventually a trip around OZ. I dont tow anything, so power is a little overkill for me, but I love the space - my wife will just have to get used to parking it at the supermarket!!

Now all I need to decide is the colour......

1nando
30th December 2018, 10:22 PM
Might be a nice rig but cant see myself spending 100k on a rig that will only last 5 years...I mean how much can you get out of an alloy petrol 4wd motor these days with all those electronics...the electrics are only good for 5 before you start chasing your tail with faults. i recon we're gonna see a fair few burn to the ground in a few years ;) :PThe v8 nissan super cars run the same motor with a few mods and a lot more hp. The alloy block holds up well and the vk56vd is considered an excellent engine.

This platform had been around a while now, especially in the middle East and they are considered extremely reliable, hence why they out sell the LC200 3 to 1 on average.

The biggest concern in the long run would be the direct injection and potential gunk build up on the intake valves. Your best bet to avoid this is to run 98 and quality oil.

In my opinion the 62 is a rock solid platform.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MB TD42
31st December 2018, 11:10 AM
The v8 nissan super cars run the same motor with a few mods and a lot more hp. The alloy block holds up well and the vk56vd is considered an excellent engine.

This platform had been around a while now, especially in the middle East and they are considered extremely reliable, hence why they out sell the LC200 3 to 1 on average.

The biggest concern in the long run would be the direct injection and potential gunk build up on the intake valves. Your best bet to avoid this is to run 98 and quality oil.

In my opinion the 62 is a rock solid platform.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TapatalkUsing supercars as a model isn't reliable...they have to rebuild them every race...bigger that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1nando
2nd January 2019, 09:15 AM
Using supercars as a model isn't reliable...they have to rebuild them every race...bigger that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkThe super cars need a engine that can take punishment and the 5.6 can. It's actually over engineered as almost every other nissan petrol engine before it.

As far as I'm concerned nissan knows how to do 2 things well:

1) build excellent petrol engines. E.g. ca18, sr20 det, rb25 det, rb26det, vk56vd etc
2) build a tough drivetrain in their 4wds and sports cars.

Our friends in the middle East have been dune bashing y62s for almost 10 years and they're so reliable that the police and military have stuck with nissan as a result. They also out sell lc200 3-1 and are roughly the same price

http://www.motoraty.com/blog/2017/08/20/top-10-suvs-2017-uae/

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

the evil twin
2nd January 2019, 12:57 PM
Yeah, Nissan Petrol Engines have almost always been world class leaders... Diesels not quite as much they are either awesome or dogshit... curious isn't it.

As well as those above... the Datto 1600 engine back in the day powered prob 1/2 the race/rally cars on the planet, the RB30 Skyline/Commodore engine was a belter (even the Cabbies couldn't kill that one) and then the crazy horses they get out of an essentially stock 4.8 litre six.

The VK series engine is well over 15 years old now and the 5.6 version is almost 10 years old and the pick of the litter, only engineering issue I have heard of is the premature timing chain wear issue on the earlier ones.

MB TD42
10th January 2019, 03:48 PM
]The RB 25 always was popular with the Nismo crew back in the 90s...oil and gas compression combustion engine relay need some looking at though...less replacement parts and built stronger? Why all the perishable items...apposed piston engines can ignite gasses...but are big and weighty...always wonder what happened to the research on diesels...it just stopped all of a sudden at its worst design but began at with a better one...
$$$$$$secrets maybe

Clunk
10th January 2019, 07:40 PM
]The RB 25 always was popular with the Nismo crew back in the 90s...oil and gas compression combustion engine relay need some looking at though...less replacement parts and built stronger? Why all the perishable items...apposed piston engines can ignite gasses...but are big and weighty...always wonder what happened to the research on diesels...it just stopped all of a sudden at its worst design but began at with a better one...
$$$$$$secrets maybe

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkNo secrets..... Diesel is dead [emoji12]

Avo
11th January 2019, 01:25 AM
No secrets..... Diesel is dead [emoji12]Petrol pony

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clunk
11th January 2019, 01:34 AM
Petrol pony

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkAnd what are you looking to get?

MB TD42
11th January 2019, 01:46 AM
And what are you looking to get?Lol...probably aids if he keeps cuddling all you lot...[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]