PDA

View Full Version : bigger exhaust on a 3.3SDT?

Finly Owner
17th July 2010, 10:00 PM
just couple of things; is it worth going bigger exhaust on a 3.3SDT?

AB
17th July 2010, 10:31 PM
Just moved this to here Tim so everyone will see it better.

Finly Owner
17th July 2010, 10:33 PM
cool, only used to ebay

patch697
17th July 2010, 10:39 PM
G/day there Tim.

The answer is yes mate.... Anything with a turbo likes a big exhaust, thay need to be able to breath

Cheers
Paul

Finly Owner
17th July 2010, 10:43 PM
can i use one of a later model? and whats the census on how big?

AB
17th July 2010, 10:44 PM
cool, only used to ebay

If you have any new questions mate its better to start a whole new post otherwise itll get lost.

Ebay hey, well theres a few ebay nutters here.

Click on this link (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?246-How-to-Ebay.&highlight=ebay), you may find it helpful.

Finly Owner
17th July 2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks Andy, I visited the link and no I don't need advice for ebay. Have been member buying and selling for years. But just goes to show what sort of people I should come across here if all are as willing to offer help the same as you.

patch697
17th July 2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks Andy, I visited the link and no I don't need advice for ebay. Have been member buying and selling for years. But just goes to show what sort of people I should come across here if all are as willing to offer help the same as you.

Buckle up Tim cos your in for one hell of a ride here mate.... You may never be the same again....lol

Cheers
paul

Patty
18th July 2010, 11:46 AM
can i use one of a later model? and whats the census on how big?

I cant see why not Finly. Someone else may offer suggestions in more detail but i cant see a problem using a later model.

Most people seem to be running 3 inch and are happy with that.

patch697
18th July 2010, 11:54 AM
3" mandrel bend is the optimum choice for most Turbo application.

Cheers
Paul

Finly Owner
15th April 2011, 11:32 PM
So, after thinking about this for a long time....., I know what a mandrel bend is, but, why is so important on a road vehicle as I understand that it is imperative in performance motors. Why shouldn't I use a standard exhaust shop bent system. And would a 2.5" not be big enough?

I thought I'd throw this up for discussion for myself and others out there who are researching silently.

Also can I just replace from turbo - back? using another models set up? eg GQ 4.2 turbo deisel exhaust.

Thanks Tim

YNOT
16th April 2011, 07:22 AM
Mandrel bends flow better, a 3 inch press bent pipe flows roughly the same as a 2.5 inch mandrel bend. Smaller pipe is cheaper and easier to package under the car. That's about the minimum size I would recommend for your Patrol. As said above, turbos need to breath.

If you can find one an exhaust from a GQ 4.2 turbo diesel should go close to fitting. The down pipe from the turbo to the first join will probably need to be custom made. Not sure about the tail pipe section.

I would need to have a look at the dump pipe (the first bit of exhaust directly on the back of the turbo) to see what the internal size is but most factory turbos benefit from a bigger dump pipe, this really opens the turbo up and lets them get up on boost earlier.

Tony

MQ MAD
16th April 2011, 09:58 AM
Most of the SD33T lads are goin the 3" pipes
Even without goin bigger dump pipes
Im interested on the positives of goin bigger pipes for myself
A GQ larger pipe system wouldnt be a great difference fitment wise to a MQ/MK system

YNOT
16th April 2011, 10:39 AM
I actually meant an aftermarket GQ turbo exhaust because you wont find a standard GQ 4.2 turbo exhaust.

Tony