PDA

View Full Version : OH OH what have I done!! Rear 1/4 chop

growler2058
13th May 2011, 06:42 PM
Well i bit the bullet and broke out the lil angle grinder & zippo rear 1/4's cut and gone. I'll try gettin some foters up tomorrow. Scary SH!T i can tell ya. Have never cut a not to bad panel up before but is actually an easy task. I just followed the instructions from a link i think i posted in one of Big Rigs threads. The next bit patching and folding tags/tabs will probably be more difficuilt but not a biggie I dont rekon. I'll keep ya updated hopefully done over the weekend :clapping:

Bigrig
13th May 2011, 06:48 PM
Well i bit the bullet and broke out the lil angle grinder & zippo rear 1/4's cut and gone. I'll try gettin some foters up tomorrow. Scary SH!T i can tell ya. Have never cut a not to bad panel up before but is actually an easy task. I just followed the instructions from a link i think i posted in one of Big Rigs threads. The next bit patching and folding tags/tabs will probably be more difficuilt but not a biggie I dont rekon. I'll keep ya updated hopefully done over the weekend :clapping:

I've got chills just thinking about it!!! lol - good on ya boss for taking the grinder to it ... look forward to the photos ...

OMG ... I can't believe we are all chopping up perfectly good panelwork!!! I've got to steel up my resolve!! LOL!!!

DX grunt
13th May 2011, 06:52 PM
OMG ... I can't believe we are all chopping up perfectly good panelwork!!! I've got to steel up my resolve!! LOL!!!
Don't stress, it's only a GQ. Oops. lol

growler2058
13th May 2011, 06:53 PM
I've got chills just thinking about it!!! lol - good on ya boss for taking the grinder to it ... look forward to the photos ...

HAHAHAHAAH i took a foter of a little bit of rust which is what i used to justify the cut haha

Bigrig
13th May 2011, 06:56 PM
HAHAHAHAAH i took a foter of a little bit of rust which is what i used to justify the cut haha

What am I thinking? I can see this ending very badly for Tank!! lmfao

Hope yours goes swimmingly though mate ...

DX grunt
13th May 2011, 06:58 PM
Any pics, growlers?

big_fletch
13th May 2011, 07:00 PM
Don't stress, it's only a GQ. Oops. lol

Exactly true Ross.. An improvement with the GU not having to cut anything Haha..
Keep us updated mate, can't wait for some pics of your handy work.. Should look a heap better

YNOT
13th May 2011, 07:00 PM
What am I thinking? I can see this ending very badly for Tank!! lmfao

Hope yours goes swimmingly though mate ...

Have a couple of cans of courage and you'll be fine, what could possibly go wrong???

Tony

DX grunt
13th May 2011, 07:01 PM
Exactly true Ross.. An improvement with the GU not having to cut anything Haha..
Keep us updated mate, can't wait for some pics of your handy work.. Should look a heap better

Sorry growlers I was rude. To cut mine down, I just unbolt the pod. lol

GUtsy ute
13th May 2011, 07:03 PM

Wait till we butcher that bullbar!!!LOL

big_fletch
13th May 2011, 07:03 PM
Have a couple of cans of courage and you'll be fine, what could possibly go wrong???

Tony

Exactly what Tony said!! What could possibly go wrong cutting into body pannels with a electric saw or angle grinder LMFAO

NissanGQ4.2
13th May 2011, 07:16 PM
I still remember the day prolly about 10 years ago I was a passenger in one of mates GQ's and we were out doing some tracks with his old man in another GQ, we pulled up, next minute his old man rips out a pair of Tin snips from the back and starts hackin into the 1/4 panel and says...now that should fix it *L* think i have a photo of it somewhere. Still can't believe he done it

timbar
13th May 2011, 07:45 PM
Im sure it will turn out fine i have faith in you Growlers

OH No Hes F*cked it there goes the tail light on one side and half the back window on the other ....mmmm does it look even ????

Just joking mate

Dhuck
13th May 2011, 07:51 PM
Im sure it will turn out fine i have faith in you Growlers

OH No Hes F*cked it there goes the tail light on one side and half the back window on the other ....mmmm does it look even ????

Just joking mate

LOL. Love it Tim. But that will be Scotty's rig once me and him get to it after a few drinks one weekend

growler2058
13th May 2011, 07:55 PM
Bumper Off.. Then the rust spot that "made" me do it and so on so on

NissanGQ4.2
13th May 2011, 08:01 PM
looks good mate

timbar
13th May 2011, 08:02 PM
Looking good mate

Bigrig
13th May 2011, 08:30 PM

Tony

Everything!!! Especially with a few cans of "harden up" in the gullet!! LOL

Bigrig
13th May 2011, 08:31 PM
Wait till we butcher that bullbar!!!LOL

I'm crying!! lmfao

Bigrig
13th May 2011, 08:32 PM
LOL. Love it Tim. But that will be Scotty's rig once me and him get to it after a few drinks one weekend

Oh ... gee ... I'm feeling more comfortable with doing the chop chop every minute!!! LOL

Bigrig
13th May 2011, 08:33 PM
Bumper Off.. Then the rust spot that "made" me do it and so on so on

Looking good boss ... but I'll need more instruction than that!!! lol

growler2058
13th May 2011, 08:47 PM
Looking good boss ... but I'll need more instruction than that!!! lolhttp://www.mudrhino.com.au/Docs/DIY2.pdf step by step this is what i followed

Dhuck
13th May 2011, 08:56 PM
I can see panel carnage happening and we won't even be 4 wheeling

Bigrig
13th May 2011, 09:15 PM
I can see panel carnage happening and we won't even be 4 wheeling

We couldn't cock it up that bad ... could we???

Keep the instructions coming growler!!! LMFAO

big_fletch
13th May 2011, 09:19 PM
Photos look good, they look so much better with a rear quarter chop..
Good work mate

Trolatron
13th May 2011, 10:14 PM
Good work mate scarey making that first cut isnt it, then theres no going back lol.

Bigrig
13th May 2011, 10:23 PM
Here's a question - what do you cover the rig with so no hot sparks etc burn into the paint work etc? Or just doesn't happen?? Thinking more so about the welding than the cutting ...

Dhuck and I were discussing it earlier ..

DX grunt
13th May 2011, 10:55 PM
Everything!!! Especially with a few cans of "harden up" in the gullet!! LOL

Are you drinking????

growler2058
14th May 2011, 05:12 AM
Good work mate scarey making that first cut isnt it, then theres no going back lol.

Sh1t yeah gotta keep a steady hand

growler2058
14th May 2011, 05:17 AM
Here's a question - what do you cover the rig with so no hot sparks etc burn into the paint work etc? Or just doesn't happen?? Thinking more so about the welding than the cutting ...

Dhuck and I were discussing it earlier ..

In that link I put up a coupla posts ago they rivet and bog so that's my idea at the moment to do the same. Got a mate. comin ova today who's pretty good on panel work I'll run it by him. Otherwise a welding blanket should do the trick

katwoman
14th May 2011, 05:23 AM
In that link I put up a coupla posts ago they rivet and bog so that's my idea at the moment to do the same. Got a mate. comin ova today who's pretty good on panel work I'll run it by him. Otherwise a welding blanket should do the trick

If you are worried about sparks, just tape thick cardboard over panels..
Cheap and easy

AB
14th May 2011, 07:50 AM
Very nice job mate, I know your what you mean, doesnt feel right when you start cutting through perfect panels, etc...LMAO

Looks neat!!!

growler2058
14th May 2011, 07:57 AM
Thin blades everyone and small angle grinder for better precision I used sticky tape for a straight line and then thin black texta. Quite easy in the end.......But I haven't been out to look at it this morning yet hahahahahahaha

Bigrig
14th May 2011, 09:02 AM
Are you drinking????

I will be for this effort!! LOL

Bigrig
14th May 2011, 09:03 AM

Too easy - I'm thinking weld rather than rivets ... but what do I know!! lol

growler2058
14th May 2011, 09:31 AM
Too easy - I'm thinking weld rather than rivets ... but what do I know!! lol

I think i'd prefer weld so gunna source a welder over the weekend

Bigrig
14th May 2011, 09:37 AM
I think i'd prefer weld so gunna source a welder over the weekend

From what I've seen, if done right the weld looks good and requires heaps less bog - hence less chance of cracking, paint flaking etc down the track ...

Good luck with it mate ... I'm still in two minds about it! LOL!!

growler2058
14th May 2011, 09:42 AM
From what I've seen, if done right the weld looks good and requires heaps less bog - hence less chance of cracking, paint flaking etc down the track ...

Good luck with it mate ... I'm still in two minds about it! LOL!!

AH PooP I only did it cause i thought you were gunna HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHHH

Bigrig
14th May 2011, 09:50 AM
AH PooP I only did it cause i thought you were gunna HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHHH

Hahahaha!!!! Seriously doubt that!! It's going to happen, it's just a decision on whether I have a lash with two left hands, or get someone anatomically correct to do the actual cutting part!!! lol

Dhuck and I will definitely be doing the tube work for the sliders and rear bar, just not confident on the cut and weld (and paint) part of it ...

growler2058
14th May 2011, 09:54 AM
Hahahaha!!!! Seriously doubt that!! It's going to happen, it's just a decision on whether I have a lash with two left hands, or get someone anatomically correct to do the actual cutting part!!! lol

Dhuck and I will definitely be doing the tube work for the sliders and rear bar, just not confident on the cut and weld (and paint) part of it ...

Fair enough mate, the first spark causes the sphinctometer to hit around 9.5/10 Wifey sayin "do you know what your doin"!!! planting the seed of doubt hahahahahahha

big_fletch
14th May 2011, 09:55 AM

The paint part is easy, pay $100-200 and get it powdercoated Haha

Bigrig
14th May 2011, 09:58 AM
The paint part is easy, pay $100-200 and get it powdercoated Haha

Hahaha!!!! May as well do the whole truck then hey!! Now that'd be tuff!! LOL

big_fletch
14th May 2011, 10:00 AM
Hahaha!!!! May as well do the whole truck then hey!! Now that'd be tuff!! LOL

Why not, wouldn't have to worry about scratches as much....... Wonder how much it would cost lol

DX grunt
14th May 2011, 10:04 AM
Don't worry, if you hack it up, just take it to a professional, who will fix it up.

For that price, they'll send a taxi to drop you off home and pick you up. lol

I admire you DIYers. I haven't got the guts to do it myself.

Bigrig
14th May 2011, 10:05 AM
Why not, wouldn't have to worry about scratches as much....... Wonder how much it would cost lol

Surely it's been done before!! LOL

No more lantana linework from the bush tracks! No more having to wash it ever! These are all good reasons .... surely!!! lmfao

NissanGQ4.2
14th May 2011, 10:07 AM
this is the start of the 1/4 chop my mates old man started while out bush, finished it up properly a few weeks later.

growler2058
14th May 2011, 10:09 AM
this is the start of the 1/4 chop my mates old man started while out bush, finished it up properly a few weeks later.

HAHAHAHAHA whatever it takes hahaaha

nowoolies
14th May 2011, 10:14 AM
strewth im off line for a bit and now vehicles are getting the chop every where hahahaha

Bigrig
14th May 2011, 10:17 AM

Old school!!! Doing it by hand!! LOL

NissanGQ4.2
14th May 2011, 10:18 AM
HAHAHAHAHA whatever it takes hahaaha

This was done 10 years ago.... could of been longer, can't remember the actual date! And it was necessary 2 do it at the time :)

Bigrig
14th May 2011, 10:41 AM
This was done 10 years ago.... could of been longer, can't remember the actual date! And it was necessary 2 do it at the time :)

It's ALWAYS necessary!!! That's what I keep telling the missus every time I do something to Tank ... especially if it costs money!!!! LOL

big_fletch
14th May 2011, 12:28 PM
Surely it's been done before!! LOL

No more lantana linework from the bush tracks! No more having to wash it ever! These are all good reasons .... surely!!! lmfao

I would say someone must of, tempting isn't it! LOL

growler2058
14th May 2011, 01:03 PM
OK a bit of folding action! i put stick tape back on and drew myself a line where i want the fold to be. I cut the tabs as close to the line as my nervous hand would allow. I cut a wedge out 1 side of each tab to help with folding. I chose to use multi grips and little bends at a time. Small duck bill pliers or vice grips may do better. This part of the job may well be left to a panel dude but i rekon a slight hammer tapping and a scrape of bog will get the edge nice n straight again. Or it may get hidden by new barwork to, i'm not too concerned next job will be rust proof before placing the infills in, i cut them outa a old sign. So far the jobs cost 3 small angle grinder discs!

Bigrig
14th May 2011, 01:28 PM
OK a bit of folding action! i put stick tape back on and drew myself a line where i want the fold to be. I cut the tabs as close to the line as my nervous hand would allow. I cut a wedge out 1 side of each tab to help with folding. I chose to use multi grips and little bends at a time. Small duck bill pliers or vice grips may do better. This part of the job may well be left to a panel dude but i rekon a slight hammer tapping and a scrape of bog will get the edge nice n straight again. Or it may get hidden by new barwork to, i'm not too concerned next job will be rust proof before placing the infills in, i cut them outa a old sign. So far the jobs cost 3 small angle grinder discs!

STOP!!! you don't do that!!!

Nahhh ... just jokes! Like I have a clue!!! lmfao

It's getting there bloke, doing well!!!