PDA

View Full Version : Rear Winches - Lowering Down versus Hauling Dead Vehicles Up

MB
17th April 2018, 11:51 PM
G’day NissanPatrol.com.au,
Being an electrical nuffy are keen to learn pretty please if lowering a Patrol or any big chunk of great steel down a descent length slippery hill could ruin an off the shelf say 12v rear mounted ute winch.
Have heard IIRC around the traps that winch motors do not appreciate being spooled out under power for too long?
Managed to sneak in a quick Google query earlier today and only seemed to come up with winch brakes ‘outwards’ are externally (gearbox) preferred versus inner drum brakes due to overheating/melting new age rope on their drum cores apparently?
As a secondary usage and more importantly a slow but highly torqued rear winch could hopefully help haul out dead/caput vehicles on super tight 40 point turn impossible tracks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
18th April 2018, 06:52 AM
MB, only impact is heat within the motor, if the winch is going forward or backwards, under same load, same heat. The issue with the brake is different as you know no doubt. If the vehicle is being backed down a hill via a winch, under power, the weight of the vehicle may exceed the torque, hence it would start to 'run=away'. Your brake then comes into play to decelerate, however the brake is not proportional to load, ie weight x speed if the vehicle is generating a load greater than the winch drive can handle, hence it might slip or stutter to a stop. Over repeated applications it may well glaze up and fail.This is a negative attribute of the electric winch brake set up, however they are generally configured to pull forward where the vehicle is simply arrested at the stop point or when you release the power button. The inertia build up is greatly reduced compared to a run-away condition, hence the brake works well. This is why I like my hydraulic winch - works all day forward and backwards if required, no fade.

I don't think you would have a problem in 'real world use' using a winch like this, however if you had to go a couple of hundred metres, you might run into trouble or at best need to rest the brake so it cools back down.

the evil twin
18th April 2018, 10:07 AM
Depends on the Winch, or more specifically the brake set up.
Many drum braked eleccy winches (esp low mounts) are not designed to be winched out under power for anything other than unloading/disconnecting IE a couple of metres
On multiple occasions I've had to replace Dyneema that looks like the last wrap was plastic plates melted around the drum on WARN's.

Externally braked eleccy and hydraulic etc will all do the job but be very wary of doing that with drum braked jobbies unless they are made to do that job

MB
18th April 2018, 11:27 AM
Thank you Gents, appreciate the top advice as always!
Found this ‘Sherpa 4x4’ Mule beast on Google, would be really great to hear your thoughts on them in this rear mount application.
https://www.sherpa4x4.com.au/collections/4wd-winches/products/dual-motor-4x4-truck-winch-australia
They appear very aware of drum heat issues within the link and pasted below also:
“Braking Design - Beware of cheap imitations! Many winches on the market use a ‘Brake in drum’ design which causes heat to build up in the winch damaging synthetic rope. ‘Brake in Drum’ winches are not designed for synthetic rope, this will become obvious at the most inconvenient time. Sherpa 4x4 winches are compatible with all types of synthetic rope as the brake is designed into the gearbox. This innovative design results in a trouble and heat free winch and braking combination.”

Cheers!!

PeeBee
18th April 2018, 11:37 AM
I think the internal brakes using friction surfaces are the killers. My electric 12000lb Milemarker winch, which I think is simply a chinese derivative, has a spring coil mechanism and I punished that for a while without detriment to the synthetic rope, always seemed to run cool. By comparison my 8000lb Warn low mount with a friction cone assy would certainly heat up very quickly. This unit obviously focuses on the brake issue, and it looks very robust. Run a tape over the length and room first as it looks really long with the two motors

MB
18th April 2018, 12:21 PM
Thanks Phil, should fit no problem on the GU as is 748mm wide its spec sheet appears. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/121.jpg

Rossco
18th April 2018, 12:59 PM
Just watched the crushing 4wd vid, always heard this story but never seen it happen- sure stuffed it. . . I Like how they state "don't try this at home" lol , bugger as just about to give it a go . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PeeBee
18th April 2018, 02:06 PM
Thanks Phil, should fit no problem on the GU as is 748mm wide its spec sheet appears. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/121.jpg

Rails on the GQ are maybe 640 from memory - certainly can't fit a warn 12000lb low mount.

MB
18th April 2018, 02:20 PM
Just measured AB’s GQ work ute rails at 1005mm inside to inside.
640mm is tiny you whacker :-)!

PeeBee
18th April 2018, 05:36 PM
Just measured AB’s GQ work ute rails at 1005mm inside to inside.
640mm is tiny you whacker :-)!

Yeah, sorry, was thinking about that on the way home and the 640 is between the front rails, and the chassis does flare out just behind the rear seat from memory.

MudRunnerTD
18th April 2018, 07:06 PM
Yeah that double motor one wont fit in the front a a patrol but would work great in the back.

My understanding of winch out heat of the drum is that when pulling in the brake disengages and allows the drum to spin, the brake locks on when you stop pulling. When you winch out the brake remains engaged and you drive through the brake with the winch motor creating internal heat in the drum centre immediately. Avoid winching out. Even spooling out using the motor is not ideal.

The himount has the external brake which is a winner.

MB
28th August 2018, 07:14 PM
We’ll test da ‘Sherpa’ out, although not a big fan of Richmond colours :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/598.jpg
In saying that my front end Warn HM is Collingwood worthy, should’ve gone Navy Blue pressure pack ;-)

PeeBee
28th August 2018, 07:27 PM
What are you thinking - are you going to winch yourself around the country or fix that engine - which might just get you out there quicker so you can play with this new monster toy!!!

Heaps of room there though. I am looking at installing a rear winch on my brothers hilux and its tight to say the least.

MudRunnerTD
28th August 2018, 07:29 PM
Wow mate is that a twin motor job? Looks cool. This sethp also means you can winch the guy behind you rather than snatch. A warn himount in the back would be sweet

MB
28th August 2018, 07:29 PM
PMSL, builder has bin sourced I believe:-)

MB
28th August 2018, 07:32 PM
BTW: Please do post up a pic of your rear grader blade winch bar ;-)

MB
28th August 2018, 07:42 PM
Wow mate is that a twin motor job? Looks cool. This sethp also means you can winch the guy behind you rather than snatch. A warn himount in the back would be sweet
Still trying to payoff the last HM rebuild you kindly guided me to brother :-) This jobbie was half the price although only expected to perform less frequently and at 17,000lb should help clear the deadwood gulleys !

MudRunnerTD
28th August 2018, 07:54 PM
Still trying to payoff the last HM rebuild you kindly guided me to brother :-) This jobbie was half the price although only expected to perform less frequently and at 17,000lb should help clear the deadwood gulleys !

Soft......... you love it!

MB
28th August 2018, 07:59 PM
High Mounts ‘Pimped’ are Sexy and we know it ;-)
Did have two once, hmmmmm [emoji848]

MudRunnerTD
28th August 2018, 08:06 PM
High Mounts ‘Pimped’ are Sexy and we know it ;-)
Did have two once, hmmmmm [emoji848]

Hahahaha. Bloody AB has got a very tidy Himount. Built. Modified with some good bits off mine cause i got better good bits.... then i bought another Himount for the GUIV. It aint got no good bits :(

MB
28th August 2018, 08:15 PM
An F350 stump remover tends to test em out, snatch blocked and all :-)

MudRunnerTD
28th August 2018, 08:27 PM
An F350 stump remover tends to test em out, snatch blocked and all :-)

And big fat ass GUIVs stuck to the xhassis in Soupy muddy snow 90 degrees off the track.

MB
28th August 2018, 08:47 PM
And minutes after your recovery a GU1 ute slid off too, thankyou Sir & Sir winch tough torque rebuild advice [emoji106][emoji106]

MB
5th November 2019, 04:14 PM
Sadly another busy year has gone by, shed queen is still awaiting TLC including previously planned add ons as per the 17,000lb Mule for its rear purchased above.
Family fun adventures in the old faithful GU wagon are taking first place of late and wondering whether or not the Mule could assist hauling our barge?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/38.jpg
Our wagons current old faithful Warn 9,000lb low mount I seriously doubt will handle an upcoming planned adventure and looking towards getting the twin motor Mule up under there.
Measurements today find it could easily fit width wise albeit needs the mounting holes and fairlead shifted left some 20-25mm.
Is there any issues, legal or otherwise with butchering up a bullbar to get this beast on board a GU?

MudRunnerTD
5th November 2019, 04:44 PM
Only airbag compliance. Don't alter that and your all good

PeeBee
5th November 2019, 05:04 PM
Re-drilling 4 holes won't make any difference to the structure as it sits. The only hesitant or watch point is the potential to now be able to extrude that hulk with a bigger winch, ie 9000 V 17000lb and there might be a requirement to double line pull, 34000lb worst case at stall - could happen if you were in a sticking suction type situation. Ring the bar manufacturer and find out what the design capacity is. Happy to run some numbers for you on the mounts - need dia, no off, thread form, will see how you would travel worst case.

MB
5th November 2019, 05:33 PM
Cheers Philstar!
Bars off the ute originally from WA, can’t honestly remember the popular day maker there but knowledgeable blokes once said they were renowned for camel proofing trucks there with W.T 8.8 bolts galore as reinstalled underneath.
A weakest link theory may have to be downgrading rope to 10 or 11mm instead of 12mm as purchased for the utes arse end beast plans originally?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/39.jpg

MudRunnerTD
5th November 2019, 08:25 PM
MB how much rope did you buy mate? What size did you get?

MB
5th November 2019, 08:30 PM
12mm 45m

MudRunnerTD
5th November 2019, 09:35 PM
12mm 45m

Nice, is that for your GU Ute front yeah?

You could fit the himount to the front of the wagon for.your trip mate.

MB
5th November 2019, 10:41 PM
I’m pissed, sure you’re not on dwugs Daz mate?

MudRunnerTD
5th November 2019, 10:48 PM
I’m pissed, sure you’re not on dwugs Daz mate?

Bhahahahaha. Ask Nicco about the drum sander beother. Found you a ripper if your still chasing. Sent him a link.

MB
5th November 2019, 10:59 PM
I’m lost boys?

MudRunnerTD
5th November 2019, 11:03 PM
I’m lost boys?

Sorry mate, left field side note at this time of night will always lead you astray brother.

Ask Nicco tomorrow to show you the link. Could not send it to you as it is Facebook.

MB
5th November 2019, 11:16 PM
FaceMcFarkinWhatskiPouf?

threedogs
6th November 2019, 01:34 PM
Ok ok ok Im driving up a hill Oh no Im stuck,
wait a minute Ill winch myself down, can someone
please tell me how you do that without a tether
or similar on the front.
MB I have a 10000LB low mount winch here if you want it,
would hate to throw it out

PeeBee
6th November 2019, 02:35 PM
John, unsure what you mean really? If you are going uphill and want to winch back downhill maybe you have blown something up or its safer to take it down on the cable for stability or so slippery as soon as you start to move its a slide situation, simply attach to a tree and reverse drive the winch - am i missing something?

In MB case he is talking about heading downhill, then attaching a winch cable from a rear mounted winch to allow him to do a super slow descent on the cable.

MB
7th November 2019, 09:52 PM
Thank you John, correct Phil mates!
Original plan on thy ute was to carefully lower oneself down nose first from arse and or front end tether and haul dead landcruisers or the like upwards.
Have always convoy preferred somewhat relaxed running as tail-end charlie although it does come at a slippery price once several trucks have bastardised the tracks ahead.
Thinking of it in theory like an Elephant walk downwards, Calves get lowered by Mum first and after subsequent processions a wide arse final heavy bull relies on his own tail :-)

mudnut
7th November 2019, 10:08 PM
If you're so worried, put the winch in backwards to lower yourself then swap it over to winch yourself back up. Time wasted but all good!!:1087:

MB
7th November 2019, 10:12 PM
Apologies Craig mate, I’m lost there?

mudnut
7th November 2019, 10:17 PM
So am I, mate, Just being a smart arse.

MB
7th November 2019, 10:33 PM
Quick picture grab of old ourselves off here, this situation was unbeknownst to us all and slippery as all getup. Reckon if on my lonesome would seriously consider slowly winch/lowering oneself down forward to flat ground first. Love snow but tis a long cold walkout from there and I friggin hate being cold without my 88C thermostat running :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/11/64.jpg

EDIT: Forgot the old 6.5 twactor runs twin ACDelco 88C thermostats so that’s a whopping 176C in cab comfort as a minimum:-)

threedogs
8th November 2019, 11:25 AM
MB ever though about some kind pulley system underneath
ground clearance taken into account.

MB
8th November 2019, 12:47 PM
Yeah pretty sure the old Land Rover Military 101 a mate used to have was similar.
Think the PTO spool was up underneath near the gearbox and you could direct the cable forwards or backwards from memory through roller type fairleads each end?
Not so great if you’re stuck down to your floor pan on a GU like you say John mate!

PeeBee
8th November 2019, 02:19 PM
MB ever though about some kind pulley system underneath
ground clearance taken into account.

Hey John, I thought about this set up long and hard as well, even fabricated up a pulley system bracket at one stage and to be honest it just was easier installing the winch in the back. The mistake I made was going as big as I did as the physical size of the warn 15000, plus the weight added vehicle length, weight and modification to the custom rear bar and the anchoring system. I would have been better off with a 12000lb unit, which funny enough I have one on the floor of the garage - somewhere. Anyway I have used the rear winch a couple of times and I think for the Patrol setup plus the issue with cable route especially when you are buried or on the p*ss its a good setup. Even a 9000 would be fine on a double pull I would think.

MB
30th August 2020, 01:11 PM
Almost another year gone by and back onto the Shed Queen Ute rear Sherpa 17,000lb mounting mock-ups :-)

Could do with a bit of safety engineering advice if possible pretty please PeeBee Mate?

Found this TJM plate to possibly utilise/customise off our old work Rodeo 9,000lb alloy bullbar mounted variant.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/186.jpg

Appears to sit quite well 50mm above the rear cross member and no further out than the chassis ends.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/187.jpg

Chassis ends have unused nuts possibly ready for approximately 12mm bolts I quickly guesstimate.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/188.jpg

Cross member rear has unused nuts possibly ready for approximately 8mm bolts I quickly guesstimate.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/189.jpg

I don’t really want to weld anything permanent to the chassis so hoping something like this scribble I could knock up as a bolt in adaption both left and right sides?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/190.jpg

What’s your thoughts structural integrity wise brother or should I look towards an entire full width new plate with only single drop down wings left & right?

Cheers!

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2020, 01:55 PM
those catured bolts on the side of the chassis rail are factory mounts for the Tow bar so will certainly hold that cradle. They where like that on my GQ. The GU uses bolts under the chassis rail. I fitted the towbar off my GUIV onto the GQ and made internal plates with nuts welded to mount it to the chassis then used those bolts to mount my rear bar. That will work mate

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2020, 02:01 PM
Although to be honest i would use that mount you have as a template and buy a piece of flat the right length so it sits straight on top and bits into the vertical plates bolted in. Weld a length angle or 30x6 along front and back edge like that has. Probably take the same time to fab as making those bracket.

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2020, 02:04 PM
when I made my rear bar I started by making those brackets and making them longer and incorporating a 16mm hole in each as 2 rear recover points then bolted them in and welded everything else to them mounted. I will take some pics or find them in my build.

MB
30th August 2020, 02:06 PM
Awesome, thanks Daz [emoji106][emoji106]
Just wondering now if the next weakest link in the adaptation (TJM plate <>Custom Z bolted plates) might handle 17,000lb potential hauling on say 45 degree angles, possibly 80 degrees track realignment sideways if sh#t got real gnarly:-(

MB
30th August 2020, 02:07 PM
Cheers, I was typing too slow again :-)

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2020, 02:09 PM
@MB

Now to the rear bar...........

I have decided I don't want to risk making a centre recovery point again so I have fitted the H&R tow at off the GUIV to the GQ.

THIS IS NOT A DIRECT BOLT UP!

The GQ tow bar bolts to the side of the chassis rail with 2 bolts. The GU tow bar bolts up under the chassis with 3 bolts..... I can make that work!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/20.jpg

I used so angle I had to weld nuts to to use inside the chassis rails.

First I drilled the holes in the angle and bolted it to the tow bar then welded the nuts in place.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/21.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/22.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/23.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/24.jpg

Then I did some panel beating to my long range tank that has taken some BIG Hits!! Nothing a sledge hammer couldn't sort out.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/25.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/26.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/27.jpg

Panel beating done.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/28.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

[QUOTE=MudRunnerTD;674199]So I had to drill 14mm holed up into the bottom of the chassis to mount the GU tow bar. I'm pretty stoked with how it's come up.

I wire brushed and painted the towbar before mounting it.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/31.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/32.jpg

Today I cut off the factory tie down points off the back as they are in the way and not required.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/33.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/34.jpg

Then I made a start on my new rear bar. I bought some 100mm wide flat plate 16mm thick to use as the mounting plates and will incorporate a recovery point at each chassis rail too.

In between it Pissing down rain today I got a little bit done.

I will make the middle of my new bar the same as my old one with C channel as I like the look.

The mounting plates.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/35.jpg

Marked out and centre punched ready to be drilled in steps.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/36.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/37.jpg

Now the 25mm recovery hole suitable for a shackle. The plate is 16mm thick and I left 25mm of meat in front of the hole. I consulted 3dogs about this and he reckoned that would be fine.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/38.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/39.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/40.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/41.jpg

Using a 100mm cutoff wheel I marked where I will grind to later.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/42.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/43.jpg

I bought this drill bit set off eBay years ago! Bloody handy bit of kit!!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/44.jpg

Did I mention it pissed down most of the day!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/45.jpg

Damn I need a Shed!!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/46.jpg

Mounted up the mounts to the GQ Factory towbar mounting holes.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/47.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/48.jpg

I'll grind the radius later.

Cut and test fitted the C channel

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/49.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/50.jpg

Measured, marked and drilled the holes for the 4 mounting points across the back where I have previously welded nuts on for my last bar.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/51.jpg

I have also decided I will cut the end of the towbar off behind the pin hole and per mantle mount a new hook into the tow bar tube with new longer bolts through from the top like the removable one but permanent.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/52.jpg

Getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!![/QUOTE

MB
30th August 2020, 02:26 PM
Looks good to me, thanks heaps Dazman [emoji106][emoji106]

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2020, 03:05 PM
MB here are a couple on the car mate. You could do similar but weld onto the top edge for sure mate 100% doable.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/194.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/195.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

PeeBee
30th August 2020, 03:23 PM
Mark, have a look at this design. This is what I believe addresses the forces and their directions - Vectors they are called. Its a serious structure, however it will do the job, and is what i would build myself. The integrity of the towbar is maintained and in fact is increased as it is now hard locked into the upper chassis member.818958189681897

MB
30th August 2020, 03:35 PM
I like that a lot thanks Phil Mate!
Ticks all of my concerns too as 17,000lb potentially doubled and angled once I think you said can be some scary sh#t[emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
30th August 2020, 03:40 PM
I like that a lot thanks Phil Mate!
Ticks all of my concerns too as 17,000lb potentially doubled and angled once I think you said can be some scary sh#t[emoji106][emoji106]

You can fabricate this quite easily, tack it up, check fit, adjust then weld it out.

MB
30th August 2020, 03:45 PM
Just in the shed trying to visualise it thanks mates, got me thinking again, is there any structural drawbacks on the OEM chassis back down the line?
An element of chassis rail flexyness is possibly OEM designed in and hoping this wouldn’t lock them together too much?
Only reason I mention is that I met a bloke before lockdown readying his ISUZU twuck for around Australia and he choose a full floating type tray <> chassis mount system to retain some flex he was trying to engineer in.
Cheers!

PeeBee
30th August 2020, 03:49 PM
Just in the shed trying to visualise it thanks mates, got me thinking again, is there any structural drawbacks on the OEM chassis back down the line?
An element of chassis rail flexyness is possibly OEM designed in and hoping this wouldn’t lock them together too much?
Only reason I mention is that I met a bloke before lockdown readying his ISUZU twuck for around Australia and he choose a full floating type tray <> chassis mount system to retain some flex he was trying to engineer in.
Cheers!

Its already restrained and you wont affect anything, stop over thinking it! Build it, bolt it in, get out and start using it - when you are allowed by Kevvy.

MB
30th August 2020, 03:52 PM
Roger that thanks heaps mate!
Now.....does Australia Post deliver for BHP these days :-)

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2020, 03:52 PM
Cheers!

No more than the factory towbar does now mate.

MB
30th August 2020, 04:26 PM
Double thanks Daz Mate [emoji106][emoji106]

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2020, 06:07 PM
Mark, have a look at this design. This is what I believe addresses the forces and their directions - Vectors they are called. Its a serious structure, however it will do the job, and is what i would build myself. The integrity of the towbar is maintained and in fact is increased as it is now hard locked into the upper chassis member.818958189681897

MB @threedog if you can draw those fish plates to scale you could get them laser cut for sure mate.

MB
30th August 2020, 06:18 PM
Thanks Daz/John, great idea, Philstar did kindly ring on the Bat phone and suggest another mock-up firstly as we’ve noticed they would be most likely vertical plates, top to bottomish?

MB
30th August 2020, 06:29 PM
Must say, in theory, it could be a decent relatively easy commercial bolt on rear for utes that someone could make some backyard coin out of if their skills and time permitted [emoji106][emoji106]
Not too many nutters foresee the need for rear winches though :-)

MB
13th September 2020, 04:38 PM
Have diverted slightly off your awesome plan thanks PeeBee Mate, a lockdown shed day finally made an agricultural looking start finally:-)
Forgot I had this 200mm x 12mm plate & another 150mm x 10mm tucked away down at the yard.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/56.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/57.jpg
Added a couple of bracey triangles either side of the spool, may need more along the plate although I’m thinking it’s only a fairlead plate as the winch is bolted down on the 12mm beast below.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/58.jpg
Unfortunately had to sculpt out one of the triangles as the gearbox on the twin Sherpa is a larger diameter than the secondary motor side.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/59.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/60.jpg
Had enough for one day, next round will aim for the vertical “fish plates” to the chassis side holes & towbar below and a few speed holes for some sexyness to try and match her Millweld front [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/61.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/62.jpg
Any do’s or dont’s for scrub truck safety before next round would be greatly appreciated please!!

Rossco
13th September 2020, 05:12 PM
Far out Markie that is chunky certainly aint gonna fall apart anytime soon lol. . . Nice work looks smick, get the old girl go'n shes had long enough rest and the mountains are call'n, hopefully can get there soon. . .

PeeBee
13th September 2020, 05:18 PM
Looks good mark, top job. Don't overlook the load on the fairlead as it can be the primary reaction point of the pull. Adding the H/D fairlead assy will provide the support to a large degree

MB
13th September 2020, 05:57 PM
Cheers Gentlemen, was actually waiting to get properly flamed, it is quite fairly heavy this wacky contraption :-)
Unfortunately the Tucker Truck still has a ways to go before next adventures, to name a few:

#Seam busted rear main tank thanks to Champion Link TK :-)
(Have a replacement ready but scratching my noggin on how to raise it 150mm ish for towbar rail walloping firstly next time)
#Overheating 170amp GQ < > 6.5NA pimped up alternator again due to twin thermo fan frontal blasting.
# A valve spring believed cracked from intense ‘run on’ experienced nearing a vertical pinch due to lack of lift pump air issue pressure as best as I can ascertain so far :-(

Mountain Grubs will be back on the menu one day somewhere in 2021 [emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
13th September 2020, 06:05 PM
Fab up a local area deflector to push the air away from the alternator, as discussed a fair while ago. Whats in the way of the tank going straight up or even displaced slightly? Why 150mm lift, how big was the ding? What about a simple bash plate out of ally, say 6mm?

MB
13th September 2020, 06:17 PM
Was that wallop on the rock shelf half way down the Link mate that wholey compressed the OEM bash plate (no ding) and caused the top/bottom seam to split.
Remember we had to plumb my system externally from the filter into the forward sub tank filler to get up next pinch’s and out to flatter top country home ?
It’s a GU ute ‘Coily’ issue as they are some 6” lower by design than our DX ‘leafy’ models and I’m looking to hybrid it somehow without going full aftermarket custom?
Alternator GQ shield yes my friend, although still believe I can solve the already purchased Delco Remy 200amp, 130amp at idle Yanky Bus alternator debacle:-)

MB
13th September 2020, 06:30 PM
Looks good mark, top job. Don't overlook the load on the fairlead as it can be the primary reaction point of the pull. Adding the H/D fairlead assy will provide the support to a large degree

Apologies Philstar, missed the edit there old mate! Nuffy me, what is a H/D acronym fairlead brother?

PeeBee
13th September 2020, 08:43 PM
Was that wallop on the rock shelf half way down the Link mate that wholey compressed the OEM bash plate (no ding) and caused the top/bottom seam to split.
Remember we had to plumb my system externally from the filter into the forward sub tank filler to get up next pinch’s and out to flatter top country home ?
It’s a GU ute ‘Coily’ issue as they are some 6” lower by design than our DX ‘leafy’ models and I’m looking to hybrid it somehow without going full aftermarket custom?
Alternator GQ shield yes my friend, although still believe I can solve the already purchased Delco Remy 200amp, 130amp at idle Yanky Bus alternator debacle:-)

I remember having to wait until the trees were cut down beside my vehicle just so i could get out the doors, yes, that tight track and fuel piping job in failing light does come back. Bit of a bugger about the tank height but I know you will resolve it. just a thought, but my rig is running a 300amp unit with 140amp at 500rpm avail, in fact its the same size as the chev 110amp unit, so if you mod it with the Quicktifier you only need to change the pulley to vee belt, which they will supply at no charge - that monster alternator is going to be painful at best. Only thing though the alternator does not have the vac pump - which would be the same issue with the monster??
If you want to keep it i would try to fit it on the front of the engine. Since you have the beast 'on blocks' whip the radiator out and see what you can do, you are going to need the access for the bracket anyway. Doing a jackshaft is possible but remember nothing on that motor is flat, straight or square, and the mount points of opportunity are small and crappy - I have a bucket full of brackets in the corner of the garage from my attempts with the endless air pump - FAIL!!

PeeBee
13th September 2020, 08:44 PM
Apologies Philstar, missed the edit there old mate! Nuffy me, what is a H/D acronym fairlead brother?

The spare unit I have thats on the front and rear winches I have, with the 1" diverter bolts?

MudRunnerTD
13th September 2020, 08:48 PM
Welds look Sik mate. Nice work. Only negative comment would be that it will act like a big bucket and hold a ship load of mud and stuff so need to consider how it will self drain??

Maybe drill a few drainage holes in the 10mm plate ?? Not sure. Getting there though mate. Nice one.

MB
13th September 2020, 09:01 PM
Reverse “Speed Holes” maybe I should’ve mentioned thanks Legends Agreed [emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
13th September 2020, 09:36 PM
@MB, here is the 300amp unit I have swapped into the truck. I still have the 110amp unit under the bench, so you are welcome to use it as a template if you wanted to, identical between the 110 and 300 frame sizes. I am running the 400amp quicktifier which you have also. Worth considering.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Output-300-Amp-NEW-Alternator-For-K1500-C2500-Suburban-C3500HD-Truck/192822312362?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&amp;_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

MB
15th September 2020, 06:50 PM
A massive thank you again PeeBee Mate for the permanent trial gift of your “H/D Fairlead Assembly” self design.
Can’t wait to collect and connect it one day in the not too distant future hopefully Legend [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/71.jpg
Certainly does look 17,000lb Sherpa worthy my friend!!

PeeBee
15th September 2020, 07:23 PM
Thanks @MB, you are welcome. It takes the place of the standard fairlead, can take a straight thru or offset alum hawse and bolts up to the standard hawse points. The concept is to move a single 25mm hardened peg into one of 3 positions to divert your winch rope onto a different part of drum on the winch. the primary 'market' is low mount winches which have an annoying propensity to bust the tiebars holding the end plates together. The pin obviously needs to be repositioned without load on it, so the recovery may take you a minute or so longer per winch drum zone but you won't break the tiebars. Its all been run thru a stress analysis package and came up trumps first go. It also is worth noting that you are presenting the rope to the drum at 90 deg to the drum so it wraps correctly, instead of loading up on one side. its basically a rope alignment device.

MB
15th September 2020, 07:51 PM
Some more safety/legality advice needed pretty please good folks!
Designing this whole rear contraption on the fly was tonight shed thinking how it possibly could also be utilised to carry our AG bike at certain times if needed.
Being an Extra Cab GU my new upgraded mountain adventures tray is planned to be much much shorter than it’s current WA touring 2.0m x 2.0m very comfy canvas bedroom.
We nuttered out this wacky idea earlier in a rushed 2020 for our mobile work donga and seemed to get the kitchen platform safely and strongly off the ground away from critters.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/72.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/73.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/74.jpg
Wacky concept now is for a mini say only 600mm ish extension on either side of the utes rear for a checker plate channel temporary add on adaption for the AG bike if tamer adventures were possibly planned.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/75.jpg
Long story short, I do see tonight McGoogle images of motorbikes on vehicle rears but are they actually legal if non-protruding widths and taillights are all in check etc....?

PeeBee
15th September 2020, 08:55 PM
Its sort of like an extension bike rack idea? If you look at that concept all you need to ensure is your number plate is visible, and if travelling at night, probably lit up, brake and indicators could be replicated like a trailer with a flying lead and plug. I guess you should sketch it up and seek comment from either Vicroads or a VASS engineer. A Vass engineer should be able to advise if it legal to do it and what if any regs need to be complied with.

MB
15th September 2020, 08:56 PM
Found this on McGoogle, still uncertain if it’s compliant or not but does mention light issues etc....

https://www.peterstevens.com.au/mo-tow-tow-bar-bike-carrier-motow.html

Not so keen on the single central Hayman Reece connection, reckon I could flog out that one SHS wobble point on some corrugations, thinking my double wacky idea should counteract that maybe?

MB
15th September 2020, 08:58 PM
Apologies, typing same time thanks Philstar:-)

PeeBee
15th September 2020, 09:07 PM
Yes I think its more than the single hitch point for sure, but a simple cantilever assy could easily be achieved off your superstructure

MB
15th September 2020, 09:12 PM
Kind of also liking the much raised height thoughts too mate, they look so low and extended the towbar models I’d destroy it getting out of my canyon these days home wash away driveway :-)

MudRunnerTD
16th September 2020, 09:30 AM
Found this on McGoogle, still uncertain if it’s compliant or not but does mention light issues etc....

https://www.peterstevens.com.au/mo-tow-tow-bar-bike-carrier-motow.html

Not so keen on the single central Hayman Reece connection, reckon I could flog out that one SHS wobble point on some corrugations, thinking my double wacky idea should counteract that maybe?

These are widely used mate. plenty of guys running one. I bought one of these. it came without lights or wiring and i fitted LED lights and a trailer plug to it. I then fitted it to the back of the GU to carry the DRZ400.. Heads Up... with the Kaymar rear bar and the spare wheel swing away the tyre is further off the back door and the bike Did Not Fit. damn it. spent a few hours and a fare whack of coin to get it ready to go then could not load the bloody bike.

I sold it to Matty for a loss but happy to pass it on to him. He has used it behind his bravo to take a bike to NSW. have a chat with him. you could probably borrow and test it out mate.

PeeBee
2nd October 2020, 08:30 PM
@MB, how is this progressing? I have told my nephew I will make him a cradle for his GU ute and 12000lb winch, keen to see where you land.

MB
3rd October 2020, 06:53 PM
Nothing more than a few above in the last weeks apologies mate, will keep you posted for sure, good and or bad (dumbass) findings :-)
Flat out with Littlens Lockdown Boosting lately [emoji106][emoji106]

https://youtu.be/xRPsauyRu8Q

MB
17th October 2020, 01:26 PM
A couple more baby steps today PeeBee Mate!
Working on the side rear end mounting plates 12mm.
A trial & error cardboard template first:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/10/100.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/10/101.jpg
Does anyone out there kindly know what correct size & thread pitch our GU utes rear outer chassis end bolt holes are?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/10/102.jpg
Would like to securely bolt in place these plates with correct size 8.8 grades before welding next steps pretty please [emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]

PeeBee
17th October 2020, 03:15 PM
Looks good Mark, keep going, another 80kg of plates and 20kg of butter welds should suffice! That is going to be a very robust platform for the Sherpa winch - no problems.

Metric fine pitch bolt options are M12x 1.5, M12 x 1.25, m14 x 1.5, M14 x 1.25, M14 x 2.0 (coarse) (M12 x 1.75P (coarse) Grade 8,8 minimum as discussed. You have plenty of support designed into the assy.

MB
17th October 2020, 06:10 PM
Cheers Again Philstar, Do Really Appreciate Educational Chats Brother [emoji145] OFF[emoji106][emoji106]
The old now scrub truck (without tray) is way too light these days, more than happy to load up its arse end for added traction and lighter again add 6x Expedition Boxes MAX to come full of good needed bits & bobs :-) [emoji123][emoji106][emoji106]

MB
28th January 2021, 04:45 AM
The never ending rear winch installation has taken another turn now.
Looking to install it on the GQ ute build hopefully throughout February 2021 [emoji1696][emoji12]
Was hoping here for some final electrical advice please gentlemen so I can purchase some wire for this design below if you think this could work best hopefully too?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/01/181.jpg
Trying to isolate the 170amp deep cycle away from from winch loading and to keep the 12v Optima’s parallel connected for greater oomph winching front or back.
Any design flaws or better suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I do also please need expert wire size choice for the long distance back to the twin motor Mule power hog [emoji120][emoji106]
Cheers Mark

matfew
28th January 2021, 05:50 AM
Got ya covered bro [emoji4]

Will post up some info as we install it for others and see how she performs

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk

MB
28th January 2021, 06:55 AM
He’s Alive [emoji23]
You’re a Legend thanks heaps always Matfew Mate [emoji120][emoji106]

MudRunnerTD
16th February 2021, 04:40 PM
A couple more baby steps today PeeBee Mate!
Working on the side rear end mounting plates 12mm.
A trial & error cardboard template first:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/10/100.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/10/101.jpg
Does anyone out there kindly know what correct size & thread pitch our GU utes rear outer chassis end bolt holes are?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/10/102.jpg
Would like to securely bolt in place these plates with correct size 8.8 grades before welding next steps pretty please [emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]

I found your winch today. i have sent it to you via Motorcycle Courier! They promised Next Day Delivery!!

MB
16th February 2021, 04:49 PM
GOLD.....Love IT [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

MB
7th March 2021, 09:47 PM
Rear winch cradle got its final pressure pack paint this morning and final mounting to the GQ ute:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/48.jpg
Matfew & Rossco kindly spent a big afternoon/evening assisting with wiring/lifting & heaps of other Super Appreciative Build Help LEGENDS [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/49.jpg
Unfortunately the twin motor beast is running backwards for some reason and won’t rotate the opposite way either.
Posting this old schematic with notes below from my aged purchased although they were acronym line followed exactly with some contradictions found on the 1,2,3,4 locations of coloured lines out of the control box.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/50.jpg
Contacting Sherpa in the morning QLD time for technical assistance as they were fantastic throughout the original purchase some years ago now [emoji106][emoji106]

MudRunnerTD
7th March 2021, 10:51 PM
Get on the Beers Bloke!!! Looking grand

MudRunnerTD
7th March 2021, 10:53 PM
Officially, if matfew can't figure it out then you are Farked Fella!

MudRunnerTD
7th March 2021, 11:04 PM
Is this of any help brother

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/54.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

MB
7th March 2021, 11:15 PM
Legend Cheers Daz [emoji106][emoji106]
Solenoid #1 (main) is within the control box and we don’t want to crack the seal at this stage voiding. Solenoid #2 is a mini Albright 125amp jobbie for secondary motor hauling in only not outwards I believe?

PeeBee
8th March 2021, 07:31 AM
@MB, notice you are running a roller fairlead - steel cable or rope? Install looks great. Have you welded the rope deflector device to the frame - if so, good idea, stronger than the bolts for sure.

MB
8th March 2021, 09:41 AM
All welded Mate, no bolts on the front at all.
It’s the roller fairlead that came with it, hopefully that’s ok for the 12mm rope I’m intending?

matfew
8th March 2021, 11:15 AM
Is this of any help brother

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/54.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using TapatalkNothing like the Sherpa drawing either daz. They have only 2 wires to the second motor and 2 of the other 2 bolts are joined together not running to the solenoid. It's a weird probity but hoping with some help from Sherpa I can get it going right

matfew
8th March 2021, 11:17 AM
Didn't even think of it yesty. Rope will get jammed between the rollers on the right angle. That's why all normal winches use the alloy solid fairlead so nothing to get caught on. Might have to look at changing that. I can pull mine off if we need

Rossco
8th March 2021, 11:39 AM
Yeah not recommended or ideal but our 75 ute has rollers and rope and so far never had an issue with it, had to pull at a pretty extreme angle before and all good. . Might have a spare ally one in shed if you want it, can even paint it yellow. .[emoji6]

MB
8th March 2021, 11:45 AM
I think this specific design one will be ok looking at it [emoji1696]
Certainly is advertised/written with this winch for your choice of either cable or rope.
Will compare the roller overlap against an old TJM roller I have hidden somewhere [emoji23]

MB
8th March 2021, 12:01 PM
Can’t find the old TJM variant roller but pretty sure it didn’t have as much overlap and height on the sides as this one, can’t really see it being a problem and happy for the extra roller assistance on the soft rope [emoji120][emoji1696]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/56.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/57.jpg

jay see
8th March 2021, 12:28 PM
Mark mate, I've still got my old roller off my TJM bar. It's yours if you need it.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

MB
8th March 2021, 01:44 PM
Cheers John Mate, Appreciated [emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]
I think this Sherpa one will be ok, hard to test at the moment though, motors are playing funny buggers [emoji23]

MB
8th March 2021, 01:53 PM
Fluked IT......Old spare tyre door still closes, just [emoji1696][emoji23]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/58.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/59.jpg

Rossco
8th March 2021, 02:19 PM
Looks neat as, bloody lovely job [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Winnie
8th March 2021, 04:20 PM
Super tidy Markie, love your work bro!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Brissieboy
9th March 2021, 09:46 AM
Before you abandon the rollers have a look at this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHXiJ5_IbI&ab_channel=L2SFBC-RobertPepper-autojourno)

MB
9th March 2021, 10:50 AM
Thanks BB Mate [emoji106][emoji106]
Definitely more than happy to retain these OEM rollers especially with a 17,000lb double line pull potential of 34,000lb friction I can imagine would be huge.

MB
20th March 2021, 11:20 PM
Finally got a chance to lightly test the Sherpa out in Tasmania [emoji322][emoji123]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/97.jpg
Even better it was for a lost Toyota [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/98.jpg

MB
27th March 2021, 05:39 PM
Playing around tonight with another wacky idea for utilising the rear winch to assist lifting the Ag/Reconnaissance Pizza Bike sideways up a fair bit higher than standard readily available dirt bike towball wobbly carriers:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/277.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/278.jpg
Does anyone kindly know how the self leveling truck type removalist platforms fulcrums work?
Hoping to just walk the Ag up sideways, strap it down, then winch hoist up beyond the GQ’s departure angle before a final platform lockdown on either side of the tray if that makes any sense?
Cheers Mark

MB
3rd April 2021, 06:34 PM
Trialled an even wackiest idea today.....complete waste of time [emoji23]
Concept was to hoist the Ag up to height:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/24.jpg
Twin steel tray old death traps extended:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/25.jpg
Twin steel tray DT’s retracted for Ag wheels alignment over channel to come:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/26.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/27.jpg
Way too cumbersome in practice, unfortunately forgot to photograph the bike midair [emoji51]
Going back to basics I’m thinking now of modifying/shortening our old bent Kanga loader ute tray MaxTwax Ramps [emoji23]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/28.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/29.jpg

MB
5th April 2021, 04:05 PM
Went back to the original self leveling wacky lifter concept after nearly dropping the AgBikey sideways off the ramp [emoji51][emoji23]

https://youtu.be/iXgfsL3aBa4

Appears to be finally working tonight tacked up and after a shipload of failed fulcrum attempts all long weekend [emoji3062][emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/54.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/55.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/56.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/57.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/58.jpg

MudRunnerTD
5th April 2021, 04:17 PM
Oh!!!!! WTF MB!!! You been trying all.weekend to better than THAT!!! That Sir,.is Bloody Brilliant.

Rossco
5th April 2021, 04:46 PM
WOW I think it's safe to say you MB'd the eff out of that one [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] [emoji1787] [emoji108] . . .

MudRunnerTD
5th April 2021, 08:23 PM
Hahahahahahah. GOLD. You did indeed MB the crappa outta that!!

Nekminit #24vtheshitoutofthat

MB
5th April 2021, 08:49 PM
24Volt rear electrical weaponary would unfortunately piff the #shitouta my little AggyBike catapult style Dazman [emoji23]

https://youtu.be/u6FRvkIUsZA

MB
6th April 2021, 07:48 PM
A wee bit more tweaking this afternoon, got rid of the bow shackle winch connection point as it was hindering/pinching the lowest possible reach:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/74.jpg
Seems to work well so far having repurposed recovery point 4.7T hitches as it now holds itself without any winch tension on the upper less important levelling arms:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/75.jpg
Platform test hoisted the little AgBike up including the shortened old Kanga loader MaxTwax ramps now securely supported/connected without the winch breaking a sweat:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/76.jpg
Removable tail light/number plate plastic trailer beam rail brackets in place and finally a 5th recovery hitch (not for hauling) only as a backup high lift jack point in case the winch ever claps out:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/77.jpg
Tie down/up points for the Aggy and entire rack system are next on the agenda before it’s first upcoming test adventure [emoji1696][emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]

MB
6th April 2021, 08:10 PM
Forgot to photograph but removed the temporary plastic pipe modified bushes used to test the mechanism originally as can be seen on the main connection ends getting painted below:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/81.jpg
The boys at work kindly popped into Bearing Wholesalers-Lilydale on their way home for me and picked up 2 x brass (24mmOD x 16mmID x 30mm Long) bushes that has now made the whole contraption with 16mm HT bolts extremely tight and has kept the platform finally level throughout second tests [emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]

jay see
6th April 2021, 08:55 PM
Once again.

Your an ideas man MB[emoji122][emoji122]

Plasnart
6th April 2021, 10:17 PM
Once again.

Your an ideas man MB[emoji122][emoji122]

MB
6th April 2021, 10:34 PM
Truly do miss being first at the news agency to weekly grab the good old Trading Post and a highlighter Plassy Mate [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

MudRunnerTD
7th April 2021, 03:03 PM
Truly do miss being first at the news agency to weekly grab the good old Trading Post and a highlighter Plassy Mate [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Do Not under Any circumstances join Facebook!! Thr Marketplace will do your head in. Lol. And you'd be racing me....

MB
8th April 2021, 05:14 PM
AggyBike is on and ready for an adventure finally [emoji3060][emoji106][emoji106]
Just need some fork chocks and better tie down angles and we’re off to pull some mono’s.....in the GQ up some rocky hills [emoji23]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/100.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/101.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/102.jpg

matfew
8th April 2021, 08:16 PM
Looks awesome but wow you've over done it again markie haha

MB
8th April 2021, 08:39 PM
I know right [emoji23]

Q: How did the busted GQ Ute driver get himself out of the bush?
A: On his little mowterbikey!

Q: How did the GQ Ute break?
A: His mowterbikey on the back [emoji23]

Hopefully 70rwkw & 63% reduction gears @ 1kmph will ease through some silly stretches [emoji120][emoji23]

MB
8th April 2021, 09:06 PM
FWIW: This under 4 minutes removable build contraption is not for full tilt gnarly VHC adventures and or Tasmanian west coast madness [emoji23]

Life is too short and looking to get away solo trucking more often with our girls whenever they each want/need and or myself alone more regularly too.
Base camp the Ute when required and Aggy potter around covering heaps more scenic sites as the little Red Ripper is fully road registered with pillion pegs and Pizza always ready in the Expedition Box [emoji106][emoji106]

AB
8th April 2021, 09:19 PM
I know right [emoji23]

Q: How did the busted GQ Ute driver get himself out of the bush?
A: On his little mowterbikey!

Q: How did the GQ Ute break?
A: His mowterbikey on the back [emoji23]

Hopefully 70rwkw & 63% reduction gears @ 1kmph will ease through some silly stretches [emoji120][emoji23]

Next mod coming up for testing depths before the bronze whaler trailer goes in lol

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/04/106.jpg

MB
8th April 2021, 09:25 PM
GOLD AB....Love IT [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

NissanGQ4.2
10th April 2021, 04:25 AM
AggyBike is on and ready for an adventure finally [emoji3060][emoji106][emoji106]
Just need some fork chocks and better tie down angles and we’re off to pull some mono’s.....in the GQ up some rocky hills [emoji23]

Nice work MB,

My home made job 19 years ago, its still sitting out the back unfinished, prolly go into the scrap bin now that I don't have the bike anymore

MB
10th April 2021, 07:00 AM
That’s a Ripper Toddstar [emoji106][emoji106]
TOO Good to scrap mate [emoji51][emoji107][emoji107]

Brissieboy
10th April 2021, 08:46 AM
Need to be mindful of your rear overhang. Measured from the centre of the rear wheels/axles to the extreme end, it should be more than 60% of the distance between front and rear wheel centres or 3.7m, whichever is less. I think that is standard across all states.

MB
10th April 2021, 01:44 PM
Thanks BB Mate, Appreciated [emoji106][emoji106]
Bugger....looks like I’m 200mm over that, going to have to shorten the rear light bar and its support arms back, is still doable [emoji1696][emoji51]

MB
11th July 2021, 05:25 PM
Friggin love this rear Sherpa Mule, great for Tasmanian Toyota’s behind and Sunday solo works with no innocent bystanders within cooee [emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/07/60.jpg

https://youtu.be/JU4mhp515L8

Yes……I stopped and utilised our articulated loader once the winch line angle [emoji424] applied some only slight train wheel side pressure [emoji1696][emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

matfew
13th July 2021, 05:25 AM
Be much quicker with the Highmount haha.

Glad it gets some use actually. Not many people would use a rear wish as much as you do marky hehe.

How'd the wood turn out?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MB
13th July 2021, 05:58 PM
Only made possible by the excellent old incorrect wiring instruction deciphering by your Professional Good Self Matty Mate [emoji120][emoji120]

In regards the wood, I might have overcooked the thinner cladding sticks amongst a wee bit overdone……..nothing a bit of bog can’t fix [emoji23][emoji1696][emoji1696]