PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 GU Ute/Tray Back - Coily Rear Main Tanks

MB
16th April 2018, 11:56 PM
G’day NissanPatrol.com.au,
Hoping I’ve finally worked out how to select the correct section to query a ‘Series 1 GU Ute/Tray Back/Bakkie etc....Rear Main Diesel Tank’ modification/replacement.
Upon slowly descending down a nasty rocky track recently found its entry (bullbar) angle to pass through without issue, although seconds later all hell near broke loose.
The GU’s weight was almost entirely resting/tippy-toeing on these awesome Patrol axles before skipping say one metre of traction to a rear end rock shattering smack down. So much so that never before experienced the transfer case jumped into neutral (Angel Gear) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/114.jpg
Kudos to Nissan for an amazing OEM bash plate that helped save the rest of the descent although the tanks central seam was slightly popped apart/weeping diesel from the impact.

Would any of you good folks possibly know of an aftermarket available rear tank manufacturer please and or a reasonably priced custom company to discuss getting a new needed tank a little higher with plenty of space available it appears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
17th April 2018, 02:05 AM
Get AB to put sn add on Facebook too mate

Rossco
17th April 2018, 06:43 AM
LRA, Long Ranger, and Brown Davis for newbies all gonna be up there $$ wise tho. Need a good second handie to come up. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tip12345
17th April 2018, 08:12 AM
mmmm yes I have been looking to . I have found that most tanks have rust in the bottom !
I would love to have somewhere to put my spare wheel . When I took mine out I put a bung in the bottom to be able to drain the Tank .
Lets know if you find an Answer to the problem

the evil twin
17th April 2018, 10:41 AM
A custom tank (std size) that sits higher would be huuuuge bucks I reckon.

A standard tank mod'd to sit higher might be viable and if so would be cheaper.
Heaps available as people put long range tanks in too

All of the long range tanks I've seen (incl mine) sit as low as original with plate BUT won't allow for the bash plate without reducing clearance even more

IF you don't want extra capacity I would just replace like for like
Cheapest, easiest option

sigh... compromises, compromises... life is full of 'em

MB
17th April 2018, 12:22 PM
Thank you Gents appreciated all!
You’re on the money again there thanks ET, just rang Patrol Apart and was quoted under $200 for a good OEM second hand one. Suggestion was also to just custom mount it higher with some steel work as I’m happy with the OEM volume for my needs. Was mentioned that one of their personal tourer utes cost over $1,100 smackers for a 160L custom tank spanning hard underneath the tray to same OEM underneath clearance with 3mm plate base. Even if I only went 80L custom built raised tank sounds like the same OEM raised outcome for approximately under 1/5 of the price.
Next struggle I’m imagining rearing its head is getting diesel into the bugger as the filler lines going to be very close to level :-(

the evil twin
17th April 2018, 12:41 PM
Yes, when filling mine (147 litres) with a hi-flow I need to be watchful, standard pump works OK but takes ages

NissanGQ4.2
17th April 2018, 03:51 PM
Was mentioned that one of their personal tourer utes cost over $1,100 smackers for a 160L custom tank

Nothing custom is ever cheap, even slight changes 2 something a company makes as standard will drive the price up. I don't know about other metal fab company's but at a guess 99.9% of our custom work gets drawn up on auto-cad, sent 2 the lasers and then sent back 2 be folded / fabricated into the end product

MB
17th April 2018, 04:55 PM
For sure Toddstar, fully understand mate! Hoped there might have been a chance that a mob out there may have already started producing bolt in aftermarket raised ones in decent volumes to get the prices halfway. Could definitely justify $1,100 full custom if it were a tourer and also saving money on cheap bulk fill ups around town when found.

MB
19th April 2018, 01:31 PM
Good score from Patrol Apart on the way through town. Late model second hand but near new condition, happy days! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/122.jpg A few shed beers are in order tonight to try and nut out how to raise the bugger 200mm at least!

PeeBee
19th April 2018, 01:57 PM
Good score from Patrol Apart on the way through town. Late model second hand but near new condition, happy days! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/122.jpg A few shed beers are in order tonight to try and nut out how to raise the bugger 200mm at least!

MB, measure the diameter of the inlet pipe - I might just have a 1m length of 44mm fuel hose you can utilise - brand new, not needed, might be required when you lift the tank

MB
19th April 2018, 02:07 PM
Cheers Philstar, seems to only be a 32mm ID. Appreciate the kind offer though good bloke!!

Tip12345
19th April 2018, 02:19 PM
You have done that put it in the tray
I wish I could find somewhere to put my spare wheel

MB
19th April 2018, 03:08 PM
Been thinking about removing the 6.5Chev and space creating with the new 1.5Nismo. Heaps more room then up there for the spare :-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/123.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/124.jpg

MudRunnerTD
19th April 2018, 05:47 PM

Wow! That is Brand New mate