PDA

View Full Version : UHF issues - help please :-)

Silver
12th May 2011, 05:03 PM
G'day,

I have a Connex Bushranger Mk 2 UHF installed by a previous owner in my trusty GQ.

When I push the push to talk button on the mic, the handbrake and battery warning lights come on on the dash.

Also, while I can see from other radios that mine is transmitting, there is no audible sound apart from the initial 'click'.

Any suggestions welcome

BillsGU
12th May 2011, 06:17 PM
I would have a look at where the previous owner connected the power cable and the earth. Try disconnecting the cables and hooking them straight to the battery pos and neg terminals.

timbar
12th May 2011, 06:36 PM
I would have a look at where the previous owner connected the power cable and the earth. Try disconnecting the cables and hooking them straight to the battery pos and neg terminals.

this would be my guess earth the radio to the dash chassis directly then it would be the best earthing spot

Silver
12th May 2011, 07:03 PM
thanks BillsGU and timbar. The radio, and it's 27meg cousin, and a now unused equali2er all live in a roof console. Might just run new wires if there is room

big_fletch
12th May 2011, 10:39 PM
Howdy mate, I would be tracing the wiring from the uhfs back to where they are connected.. Chances are they are wired to something they shouldn't be or have a bad earth..

Finly Owner
12th May 2011, 11:15 PM
and check your mic plug is tight.

Tim

Silver
14th May 2011, 10:30 AM
have now checked the mic plug - not a solution but thanks for the tip.

Bigrig
14th May 2011, 10:40 AM
Yep - still sounds like an earthing issue ... have you traced the wires? Painful, but I had a problem with the rear lights I ran - they'd come on periodically and I couldn't figure out why - the earth wire ran under the door scuff plates and was dodgy under mine ... everytime I stood on it, it would separate/rejoin (as it were) and cause an intermittent problem - reran the wire and all good ..

Good luck with it boss!!

Silver
14th May 2011, 03:31 PM
It's down the list a bit as I can listen to the hard wired unit on the highway, and transmit on the handheld when playing off road