PDA

View Full Version : No power at all

BrodieTiGQ
22nd March 2018, 02:07 PM
I’ve just installed a new alternator, before starting the install I removed earth strap off the battery, I installed alternator and went to put earth back on battery and it sparked the the positive side had some smoke,
Now I have no power at all.. I’ve been through all fuses and found a 10amp from under dash blown so I replaced it. It was for eng cont
It’s a td42 converted using all Tb42e wiring, there is one wire that goes to the battery that controls everything power wise but I don’t know where to look for fuse or relay that’s directly to that wire.. if anyone can help me shed some light on what happened that would be great! I’m going a little bonkers 😅

PeeBee
22nd March 2018, 02:41 PM
I think there are a couple of man fuse blocks in the small enclosed fuse box under the bonnet - on drivers side - next to guard - you need to unscrew the op panel to access - they look like relays boxes from memory. By some chance you didn't hook up the pos and neg battery cables in reverse on the alternator? Sounds like a main fusable link also? Can't recall where that is though.

BrodieTiGQ
22nd March 2018, 03:07 PM
nah mate I only removed negative from battery and I don't believe I did as far as alternator I just copied how it was already installed but I will have a look over incase I have mucked something up, also I have looked at those relays but everything looks fine? I'm not really sure what to do from here...

PeeBee
22nd March 2018, 03:24 PM
OK< there re also some big fuses in there as well, brown ones, green ones and white I seem to recall. One of those actually drops off all power to the vehicle - I think AB might even remove his on occasion as an anti theft deterrent? I know the car wont run if its blown, or at least thats what happened on my GQ 2.8 once when I shorted out a cable. If the blue topped relays are damaged they would probably have signs of melting on the top covers, but sounds like they are ok.

BrodieTiGQ
22nd March 2018, 03:40 PM
yep I've checked them also and all is fine I'm really confused on whats happening... do the tb42e have a body control system? maybe I've burnt that out? I'm just so confused on how it even happened when all I did was remove neg cable from neg battery post swap alternators then put neg strap back to neg post...

PeeBee
22nd March 2018, 03:42 PM
Nope, I am out on this one now, sorry.

mudnut
22nd March 2018, 04:04 PM
The fusible links are near the positive battery post. They have plastic connectors on each end.

BrodieTiGQ
22nd March 2018, 04:56 PM
checked all them too mate all A OK, I'm so stumped..

BrodieTiGQ
22nd March 2018, 05:49 PM
checked all them too mate all A OK, I'm so stumped..

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/216.jpg

This is the main power , where’s the fuse or relay for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
22nd March 2018, 08:39 PM
In mine there under a cover just to the right of your hand and just below where you have your hand , because it's been converted it's all different .
But if when you touched the leads the dreaded smoke came out something's amiss with the way you hooked the alternator up or possibly something was left on .

PeeBee
24th March 2018, 07:31 PM
How did you get on? I have today swapped out my alternator and smoke tested to destruction an earth lead - still looking for root cause, however truck started first time, then nothing the next. I traced it to the motor glow plug fues that is in a bank of 5 units to the rear of the start battery - its the brown unit on the 'inner end' of the fuse cluster, rated at 7.5amps. Had a few spares as I am prone to doing stupid shit so all good, running well. Hope this helps

BrodieTiGQ
25th March 2018, 10:52 PM
I sorted it all out. the wire I'm holding in the picture is indeed a fusible link and was the problem, also the new alternator has a little black insulator on B+ post and when removing from box it come off, so I had basically wired a short circuit , hence why the usable link packed it in, so after finding that and fixing the problem there I sorted out the fuible link by rewiring some 4b&s I had laying around , my problem with alternator however wasn't indeed a stuffed alternator, my car is a converted td42 from tb42e and the signal and warning wires that plug into the back of alternator were around the wrong way.. so alternator couldn't send current to battery , lucky its sorted because I was starting to go bonkers lol