PDA

View Full Version : Man killed in recovery by broken snatch strap

Winnie
18th March 2018, 06:04 PM
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/man-killed-by-snapped-towing-strap-as-he-was-helping-bogged-driver-in-central-queensland-20180318-p4z4x1.html

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
18th March 2018, 06:39 PM
My brand new never used snatch strap is being used to straighten a tree we planted as it's the safest and most practical use for it , never used one never will it's winch or dig .

NissanGQ4.2
18th March 2018, 06:55 PM
Wasn't it a tow strap not a snatch strap?

TPC
18th March 2018, 06:58 PM
Not good.
I would like to know what the condition and age of the strap was.

MudRunnerTD
18th March 2018, 09:16 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/180.jpg

And one from last year

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/181.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/182.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/183.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/184.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

drgtr
18th March 2018, 09:19 PM

Is this a tow strap?

MudRunnerTD
18th March 2018, 09:21 PM

Is this a tow strap?

No put it in the bin.

drgtr
18th March 2018, 09:49 PM
I know what a snatch strap is but I never heard of a tow strap so I googled it and thats what It came up with.

or is the news article meaning a snatch strap?

MB TD42
18th March 2018, 09:51 PM
I cant believe its still happening...RIP young fella...strength to all those he left behind.

TPC
18th March 2018, 09:52 PM
I would say it was a snatch strap, they probably put tow strap thinking most people would not know what a snatch strap is.

the evil twin
18th March 2018, 10:16 PM
They're Journos... they would be working on 4th hand reports, uneducated guesses and Tarot Cards and know absolutely sweet FA about what really happened.

Plasnart
18th March 2018, 10:16 PM
Again.

And again.

And again.

Anybody got any idea how to increase awareness of this danger? We do as much as possible on this forum but we would have contact with sub 1% of 4x4ers in Aus.

This issue needs public attention/education somehow in excess of this forum.

Too much to suggest snatch strap purchase restrictions?

I for one hate the things. Have only ever towed, winched, dug or drag chained people or myself out. Snatch straps just scare me.

Avo
18th March 2018, 10:21 PM
he really doesn't look 51,,,and no I am not rryting to be funny,,,i wonder if the newsw have actually spoke to the family or they pulliong their facts from FB.....

Avo
18th March 2018, 10:22 PM
Again.

And again.

And again.

Anybody got any idea how to increase awareness of this danger? We do as much as possible on this forum but we would have contact with sub 1% of 4x4ers in Aus.

I for one hate the things. Have only ever towed, winched, dug or drag chained people or myself out. Snatch straps just scare me.

how much would a piece of p[aper or sticker in the same box woulfd costy,,but it's to much for those making or selling such a thing.

drgtr
18th March 2018, 10:27 PM
Again.

And again.

And again.

Ha! I feel exactly the same. Everytime the recovery 4wd is revving up and moving foward I cringe. I just visualise that whole
"snap" and something slingshot across.

Scares me. There is so much force going on all at once.

Plasnart
18th March 2018, 10:29 PM
how much would a piece of p[aper or sticker in the same box woulfd costy,,but it's to much for those making or selling such a thing.

For me snatching is last resort emergency recovery situation and I've never been in that position. Could only think justifiable on beach with rising tide threatening all other options.

Paper or sticker warning I'd think only as useful as a smoking kills labels on ciggy packs. Needs to be deeper education/information.

MB TD42
18th March 2018, 10:41 PM
I have always had a cargo barrier...last line of defense...but yeah...I have never had to fully boost someone out before...its always been a gentle nudge. One step closer to compulsory 4wd training when purchasing a 4wd.

Avo
18th March 2018, 10:49 PM
I have always had a cargo barrier...last line of defense...but yeah...I have never had to fully boost someone out before...its always been a gentle nudge. One step closer to compulsory 4wd training when purchasing a 4wd.

you don't need to own a 4wd to snatch someone but,,why should we they bear the cost.....

I might add I have never had to snatch anyone either,but I once seen a mate in deep trouble and they whacked in on thje towball,and looked at me like wtf..
if they see it when they buy it,maybe they might l;istenm when someone pulls em up on it

Avo
18th March 2018, 10:50 PM
For me snatching is last resort emergency recovery situation and I've never been in that position. Could only think justifiable on beach with rising tide threatening all other options.

Paper or sticker warning I'd think only as useful as a smoking kills labels on ciggy packs. Needs to be deeper education/information.

a lot less people smoke because of them

Plasnart
18th March 2018, 10:56 PM
a lot less people smoke because of them

you reckon?? Lol

Avo
18th March 2018, 10:58 PM
yep..i seen where they put 3 packs together n looked like hughe'see.....that was enough for me

GQtdauto
18th March 2018, 11:12 PM
Bloke three doors down from me got skid bogged on his front lawn and asked the idiots next door to me to tow him off the lawn ,Husky tied a rope to both cars and had the rope coiled on the ground .
Idiot next door thought he heard go and floored it with husky standing one leg inside the coil , foot was hanging on by a small patch of skin but near enough to severed went through bone easy as , poor bugger spent 6 months in hospital and two years in physio.

Plasnart
18th March 2018, 11:16 PM
yep..i seen where they put 3 packs together n looked like hughe'see.....that was enough for me

Haha yeah put him up front nobody would smoke. From personal perspective never influenced by dont smoke labels, came from myself after time and after multiple attempts to wean. Still on nico vape so not really weaned either. Anyway same would go for labels telling me how to snatch safely. Wouldnt sink in. It's a learned skill which i havent got not ever having done one but understand the risks and consequences of failure hence the never doing one aspect!

Avo
18th March 2018, 11:28 PM
Haha yeah put him up front nobody would smoke. From personal perspective never influenced by dont smoke labels, came from myself after time and after multiple attempts to wean. Still on nico vape so not really weaned either. Anyway same would go for labels telling me how to snatch safely. Wouldnt sink in. It's a learned skill which i havent got not ever having done one but understand the risks and consequences of failure hence the never doing one aspect!

by the way..i like ya sig...only just seen it..

Plasnart
19th March 2018, 12:28 AM
by the way..i like ya sig...only just seen it..

All time favourite line from all time favourite movie. :D

MudRunnerTD
19th March 2018, 07:17 AM
he really doesn't look 51,,,and no I am not rryting to be funny,,,i wonder if the newsw have actually spoke to the family or they pulliong their facts from FB.....

There are 2 stories above. Story 1 from this week and a 51 yo died. And the other was linked in that article and is about 27 yo who died last year the same way.

Bidja
19th March 2018, 11:39 AM
A very sad outcome. In this situation it would have been better to have used a hemp rope. If it was a snatch um, imagine the velocity that it would have been travelling back after being wound up.

the evil twin
19th March 2018, 12:00 PM
Guns don't kill people... people do

Snatch straps don't kill people... morons do

Bidja
19th March 2018, 12:13 PM
Your comment does still apply. I noted in this cases they said that the tow/hitch point failed.

Bidja
19th March 2018, 12:14 PM
Originally posted early (at reading of first page), then saw the last 2).

Reminds me early 80's fishing at a dam that I still frequent. This day a bloke walks up to me at the water's edge and says can ya help out, "I can't get up the hill (too wet and slippery) in my HQ Holden wagon". Anyway had a mid 70's swb cruiser 4 cyl diesel long stroke thump-er, I had put in it (petrol originally). Got SWB and my trusty steel cable, hooked on with chain and up we went. Got up the top and I say to him "gee you must have some gear in the back"? He replies no not really and then I noticed and he said "had the Hand Brake on all the way up"....

stevemc181
19th March 2018, 05:11 PM
These anti-recoil straps from a manufacturer over here in Perth might save a few lives. This would at least dampen the force somewhat if the strap breaks near the eye or a connection comes adrift etc. http://www.comsew.com.au/products/snatch-straps/
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/per...quipment/anti-recoil-snatch-straps/1174364695

dads tractor
19th March 2018, 09:36 PM
They're Journos... they would be working on 4th hand reports, uneducated guesses and Tarot Cards and know absolutely sweet FA about what really happened.

Jeez that Evil bloke can put a point across so there is no doubt.:bigthumbup:

MB
20th March 2018, 07:45 PM
Hindsight is scary good folks :-(
Patriarch/s (4x4 Guurus) tought us in their day some really bad practices/habits!
For me this forum (reading between lines) has been the greatest life saver in my short world ! Evil Twins & MudRunnerTD ‘s do know and teach us all quite seriously!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk