PDA

View Full Version : Service Agent recommendation for Engel fridge

PeeBee
14th March 2018, 07:18 PM
I have an old banger 29L Engel that cools down to -11 degC without effort but has just this weekend dropped its bundle on 12V and stopped cooling. It was circa 33 Deg C all weekend but my 60L Engel handled it fine. The 29L engel dragged the second battery down below 10 V then stopped running - like it should. I am suspecting the motor/pump on the 12V side is faulty. Can anyone recommend a reputable service agent in the SE suburbs of Melb I can take it to and get a fair dinkum honest appraisal/repairs done?

Rossco
14th March 2018, 07:38 PM
Could try everything caravans formally known as caravan refrigeration services. Know they do 3 way stuff but probably do Engies as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Plasnart
14th March 2018, 07:40 PM
I have an old banger 29L Engel that cools down to -11 degC without effort but has just this weekend dropped its bundle on 12V and stopped cooling. It was circa 33 Deg C all weekend but my 60L Engel handled it fine. The 29L engel dragged the second battery down below 10 V then stopped running - like it should. I am suspecting the motor/pump on the 12V side is faulty. Can anyone recommend a reputable service agent in the SE suburbs of Melb I can take it to and get a fair dinkum honest appraisal/repairs done?

When you find him he'll be sitting at his desk covered in cobwebs, meanwhile the Waeco repair man next door pulls up in his Porche!

Winnie
14th March 2018, 07:41 PM
I have an old banger 29L Engel that cools down to -11 degC without effort but has just this weekend dropped its bundle on 12V and stopped cooling. It was circa 33 Deg C all weekend but my 60L Engel handled it fine. The 29L engel dragged the second battery down below 10 V then stopped running - like it should. I am suspecting the motor/pump on the 12V side is faulty. Can anyone recommend a reputable service agent in the SE suburbs of Melb I can take it to and get a fair dinkum honest appraisal/repairs done?If you call Engel they can recommend a good fridge mechanic for you. If you were around here I could put you onto a really good bloke.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
14th March 2018, 07:58 PM
Probably already seen this one PHIL .

http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/cu_agents.asp?state=vic

Tip12345
14th March 2018, 08:18 PM
I have had three engles. Have never had one fixed . I just got offered a discount on a new one .. after the third one I bailed out ! I had them in the bush for 4 years . Three fridges later gave up .. I still have an ever cool . I think that's what it is
3 mm aluminium . Built like a tank . Still goes great .. got it about 1985 . After three engles .I hope there service has improved .. it was a joke .. so I ended up buying the evacool . The summer working out west without a fridge is no fun ..

PeeBee
14th March 2018, 08:37 PM
If you call Engel they can recommend a good fridge mechanic for you. If you were around here I could put you onto a really good bloke.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks Winnie, currently working at Darnum for the next 6 weeks, so heading a bit further down the valley isn't a problem. PM me some details pls when you can

Winnie
14th March 2018, 08:54 PM
Thanks Winnie, currently working at Darnum for the next 6 weeks, so heading a bit further down the valley isn't a problem. PM me some details pls when you canPM sent Phil.

Sent from my SM-T385 using Tapatalk

Maxhead
15th March 2018, 06:57 AM
Ohh what? A farked Engel? No way, couldn’t happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the evil twin
15th March 2018, 10:58 AM
Ohh what? A farked Engel? No way, couldn’t happen!

Definitely one for 'The Unexplained Files' eh...

PeeBee
15th March 2018, 12:08 PM
Well I am happy with the performance to date from both my engels. The 60L was purchased new in 1984 and after rattling around for over 100,000klm in the back of the landcruiser, it needed a new compressor in 1993. This remains in play now and running well. The 29L is even older and this is the first time it has needed attention. If that qualifies as crappy I am surprised. By comparison my brother has a 40L Waeco and it lasted 6 months before the control board carked it. I think I will stay with this brand if I ever have the need to upgrade. No doubt there are horror stories out there and this leads to the inevitable 'which fridge is best question' but for me Engel is fine.

Anyway, fridge is booked in to an Engel service agent for monday and will see what the outcome is.

Rossco
15th March 2018, 02:05 PM
Yeah have to agree mine was bought second hand in the late nineties and has been on countless trips being smashed around in the back of various 4bies. Now is a permanent beer fridge in the roasting shed and still a camping fridge in the 4by, so far has never missed a beat. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Maxhead
15th March 2018, 07:32 PM
I’ve had two Dangles and two Wakos, I gave one dangle to Belzi which was about 20-25yr old.
I don’t use me other dangle on 12v as it’s so old that it would drain my battery in 5 min. Mind you it’s as old as some of you old crunts on here.
Me wakos are bit cheaper to run but are still dinosaurs but never an issue. Ever!
My pick for the next one woulda be a Dangle but it could be another 50yrs before I need it

Go Holden’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
16th March 2018, 08:40 PM
OK, made contact with the service agent, booked the fridge in for monday. Got home tonight and had my daughters boyfriend remove the fridge from his truck - yes I now, i am a generous guy - and thought I would just check if it ran off my battery system - well yes it does, chilled from 22Deg C to minus 10 in 15 minutes. So, had look at the second battery in the hilux - 10.3V - bugger me. His vehicle sits for months on end, not used, and no maintenance charge on it - then expects to jump into it and all things good - anyway, looks like he needs a bit of guidance. Am pulling the battery out tomorrow and running it thru my refurb process and see how it comes up. With luck it will survive, as, i bought the bloody thing as well, and I'm not buying another one to have it destroyed if this one is knackered.

So, thanks guys for the input, but fridge looks ok.

the evil twin
16th March 2018, 08:45 PM
Hehehe... who'da thought it.

I have actually never seen an Engel that has shat itself, heard of it and seen 'em crap out on 240 but never seen one actually turn up its toes and expire.

MudRunnerTD
17th March 2018, 12:51 AM
Well I am happy with the performance to date from both my engels. The 60L was purchased new in 1984 and after rattling around for over 100,000klm in the back of the landcruiser, it needed a new compressor in 1993. This remains in play now and running well..

I blame the Landcruiser. Never had a problem since you put it in a Patrol.

MudRunnerTD
17th March 2018, 12:53 AM
So, had look at the second battery in the hilux - 10.3V - bugger me. His vehicle sits for months on end, not used, and no maintenance charge on it - then expects to jump into it and all things good

I see a Pattern forming.......

Bidja
18th March 2018, 01:17 AM
OK, made contact with the service agent, booked the fridge in for monday. Got home tonight and had my daughters boyfriend remove the fridge from his truck - yes I now, i am a generous guy - and thought I would just check if it ran off my battery system - well yes it does, chilled from 22Deg C to minus 10 in 15 minutes. So, had look at the second battery in the hilux - 10.3V - bugger me. His vehicle sits for months on end, not used, and no maintenance charge on it - then expects to jump into it and all things good - anyway, looks like he needs a bit of guidance. Am pulling the battery out tomorrow and running it thru my refurb process and see how it comes up. With luck it will survive, as, i bought the bloody thing as well, and I'm not buying another one to have it destroyed if this one is knackered.

Had same prob here. Was watching thread with interest as my Engel was having a hard time 2 wks back, ran continuously all night and only got down to +13degC (near ambient). Sleep in back of veh, next to fridge to keep it company, ended up turning it off in the night as it started to get me a bit worried and to be honest thought the bugger might have a catastrophic failure. Noticed that that the Aux battery had dropped to around 10 volts. Shifted camp next day bit of a drive, battery quickly came up to to around 13+ volts but when engine off and with load on the volts dropped away quickly, typical of a dropped cell. Stupid chg indicator on battery showed green.

Had a spare battery at home in tow, put it in wag, just been away for a couple of days and fridge is all good. If your lucky to catch a couple , good to keep em cold.