PDA

View Full Version : Blown 5th gear.

Dark 1
11th May 2011, 06:28 PM
Well i've done a bit of a search & couldn't find any other threads so here goes.
Seems my 5th has gone bye bye's, sooooooo, does anyone have any contacts/advise on where or who can supply me a rebuilt, reconned or brand new strengthened gearbox. Whether exchange or complete replacement i don't care. I can probably bumble my way through the removal & install of new box but doing a rebuild would be a stretch so would like to be supllied a box & i fit it.

Thanks in advance & Tony "Help please."

the evil twin
11th May 2011, 06:30 PM
I thought there was a whole thread hereabouts...

Yeah... here 'tis http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3204-GU-5th-Gear&highlight=gear

What year GU was it ?

big_fletch
11th May 2011, 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear about that Kelvin, I can't help much but i hope you get it sorted soon mate..

Bigrig
11th May 2011, 06:58 PM
Well i've done a bit of a search & couldn't find any other threads so here goes.
Seems my 5th has gone bye bye's, sooooooo, does anyone have any contacts/advise on where or who can supply me a rebuilt, reconned or brand new strengthened gearbox. Whether exchange or complete replacement i don't care. I can probably bumble my way through the removal & install of new box but doing a rebuild would be a stretch so would like to be supllied a box & i fit it.

Thanks in advance & Tony "Help please."

You could try Danny at Bayside Gearbox and Transmission - top bloke, but note than a few miles away from you. Sorry to hear it mate.

Sir Roofy
11th May 2011, 07:04 PM
sorry to hear that mate hope you get it fixed

AB
11th May 2011, 07:05 PM
No good mate, have a look at the link that ET postered up though, It's a good one with pictures too!

Dark 1
11th May 2011, 07:17 PM

Yeah... here 'tis http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3204-GU-5th-Gear&highlight=gear

What year GU was it ?

Sorry evil did a search & didn't find that one must of spelt it wrong or worded or something. Well THANKS anyway.

timbar
11th May 2011, 07:33 PM
sorry mate for your loss i cant help but im sure someone will come to your aid Great bunch on this site !!!

Dark 1
11th May 2011, 09:53 PM

What year GU was it ?

Read that thread, great info there but i'm not looking to rebuild my own box, i'm looking to get a supplier to supply me a rebuilt/reconned/brand new [strenghtened] box that i can install. I'm no mechanic so not at all interested in rebuilding mine.
Thanks for the link tho good read.

the evil twin
12th May 2011, 12:33 AM
Yeah thats cool... just menas that you have a better idea whats probably wrong etc. Makes it waaay easier when dealing with the mechanics.

Is yours an early GU with the problematic 5th gear?

Dark 1
12th May 2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah thats cool... just menas that you have a better idea whats probably wrong etc. Makes it waaay easier when dealing with the mechanics.

Is yours an early GU with the problematic 5th gear?

Yeh mate good old series 1, previous owner works at local nissan dealer & assured me when buying that all the common series 1 gu faults had been sorted.[never believe a salesman]
Ah well sourced a new rebuilt & strengthened box today reasonably priced as well so will be removing mine, ordering rebuilt & installing new once the funds become more available.

Baldy
26th May 2011, 11:13 PM
You could try www.townsvillegearboxes.com.au

Bob
28th May 2011, 08:43 AM
I have a 98 GU 4.5l Manual and have not had any problems so far (Touch Wood). Bought it 2nd hand and dont know if Fifth Gear has been fixed.
Has 280,000 on Clock and was used to tow Horse Float by previous owner. As Tony says without pulling Gearbox apart it is impossible to tell whether it has bee fixed. Hoping !!

Dark 1
28th May 2011, 08:31 PM
I have a 98 GU 4.5l Manual and have not had any problems so far (Touch Wood). Bought it 2nd hand and dont know if Fifth Gear has been fixed.
Has 280,000 on Clock and was used to tow Horse Float by previous owner. As Tony says without pulling Gearbox apart it is impossible to tell whether it has bee fixed. Hoping !!

Most of the people i've spoke to say if you get to around 200-220klms your fine. As mines done under 180k i'm obviously NOT FINE!

the ferret
28th May 2011, 09:13 PM
Yeh mate good old series 1, previous owner works at local nissan dealer & assured me when buying that all the common series 1 gu faults had been sorted.[never believe a salesman]
Ah well sourced a new rebuilt & strengthened box today reasonably priced as well so will be removing mine, ordering rebuilt & installing new once the funds become more available.

ha ha , mate you should know by now that if their lips are moving, they are bull shipping!!'
get yer old box done up and sell it, might help to off load some of your costs.
Cheers Rod.