PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a whirring noise

Pete6565
16th February 2018, 07:50 PM
Hi guys
I have an issue that I just can’t find a answer to , any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a Nissan Patrol gu3 2003.
So when I started hearing this whirring noise it was happening under load going up a hill with light acceleration at around 2000-3000rpm
I originally thought it was the turbo as I just hit 300000kms so I changed that to stock garret turbo , I took it for a drive after installing turbo and all seemed good , felt brand new again .
A day later ... the whirring is there again .
I have searched for any issues can’t seem to find anything any suggestions??

Been on this site for years and fixed many of issue with all your mechanical advice found it better than visiting a mechanic
Thanks

GQtdauto
16th February 2018, 07:51 PM
Not the fan is it .

Pete6565
16th February 2018, 08:18 PM
Doesn’t seem to be I’ve checked belts and gaskets can’t find any issues
It comes from drivers side only lightly accelerating Up a slight hill if I put my foot down the sound stops

AB
16th February 2018, 08:46 PM
Just checking, it's not only happening when it's cold and goes away when engine warmed up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete6565
16th February 2018, 08:50 PM
Hi AB
It seems to happen anytime
I do have a video where you can hear the noise 4 times I just don’t know how to post it on here

the evil twin
16th February 2018, 08:52 PM
Do you have the EGR blocked?

EGR can make weird noises at times (open under light load and closes when you put the foot down).

Pete6565
16th February 2018, 09:06 PM
No EGR is not blocked pretty much stock standard still got the same old leaky intercooler. That I will change when I fix this problem

Pete6565
16th February 2018, 09:15 PM
I have a blocking plate somewhere I’ll find it and block it off. Thanks

AB
16th February 2018, 09:25 PM
No EGR is not blocked pretty much stock standard still got the same old leaky intercooler. That I will change when I fix this problem

I think you may have answered your own question mate.

If your intercooler is leaking the sound could most likely be coming from there with the harmonics from turbo.

Not definite but very plausible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete6565
16th February 2018, 10:18 PM
Yeah mate I thought about that but wasn’t to sure , I’ll change my intercooler and see if that solves my problem
Cheers

Pete6565
16th February 2018, 10:38 PM
https://youtu.be/X9FtPPSTk4E
Heres a link to hear sound

the godfather
17th February 2018, 12:07 AM
IS it only under hard acceleration or load? Or does it do it at the same revs when cruising?

Pete6565
17th February 2018, 11:40 PM
It does it more when just cruising light acceleration. If I put my foot down it stops

Pete6565
17th February 2018, 11:51 PM
Went to mechanic today he said could be cutch fan hub it did have a little play in it ,
That what gqtdauto said to
I’ll find out Friday when Intercooler and clutch fan comes in thanks

GQtdauto
18th February 2018, 12:05 AM
Went to mechanic today he said could be cutch fan hub it did have a little play in it ,
That what gqtdauto said to
I’ll find out Friday when Intercooler and clutch fan comes in thanks

Mate that's one weird arse scream it almost sounds like those screaming goats , I'm not confident it's the fan clutch and thinking more turbo , my idler rollers for the fan belt occasionally one of them makes a noise but not like that .
I see what you mean about it doing it while under acceleration but also backing off .

Pete6565
24th March 2018, 10:01 AM
Mate I’ve changed turbo , intercooler , clutch fan I’m starting to think is it a pulley belt alternator
I’ve replaced the tensioner pulley 50000kms Ago
I just can’t put my finger on the problem

GQtdauto
24th March 2018, 10:15 AM
Worth checking I suppose it doesn't sound like an alternator but I've been caught before , is it still putting out 14.3-4 volts
Wondering if it's possible to disconnect the fan belts and go for a quick spin to see if the noise is still there , maybe someone here knows if that's possible without causing damage .

4bye4
24th March 2018, 10:26 AM
If its alternator, it may change in pitch under load. Maybe turn the lights and aircon on and fond see if the pitch change. Idler pulley?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk