PDA

View Full Version : Recovery points

DX grunt
17th July 2010, 04:45 PM
What sort of front and back recovery points are u running?

I've got an extra long radiator and next time I'm in the city, i've gotta buy a special one to fit.

Pics would be nice.

patch697
18th July 2010, 01:17 PM
Hope this May help?

http://www.bbmmotorsports.com.au/thumbnailsmall/wsOB100.jpg

http://www.bbmmotorsports.com.au/recovery.html

Cheers
Paul

locks
19th July 2010, 07:50 PM
I mounted some of the old hooks to the chassis, not very safe but a thousand times easier to hook onto without unbolting D shackles every 10 minutes.

Not sure its safe but honestly 10 times easier to keep moving on.

The old landy's hooks bend around a fair bit and you would stuggle having a snatchem come off under pressure IMHO.

Woof
19th July 2010, 09:41 PM
Hey Locks, my advice is get some rated recovery points for the Landy, OK so it takes a bit longer to play around with the D shackles but if something goes wrong and someone is injured or worse, you will never forgive yourself.
Just trying to give you some advice that's all mate.

DX grunt
19th July 2010, 09:43 PM
Hey Locks, my advice is get some rated recovery points for the Landy, OK so it takes a bit longer to play around with the D shackles but if something goes wrong and someone is injured or worse, you will never forgive yourself.

I agree Dogman. Safety should always come first.

Timbo
20th July 2010, 09:26 AM
Hope this May help?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

http://www.bbmmotorsports.com.au/recovery.html

Cheers
Paul

I should get some rated recovery points.. been lazy.

patch697
20th July 2010, 02:14 PM
I should get some rated recovery points.. been lazy.

Hmmmmmmm maybe everyone on here should give you a friendly kick up the bum for encouragement before you do yourself a mischief?????

What do you say fellas?

Cheers
Paul

locks
20th July 2010, 08:05 PM

Cheers guys, just to clarify, its the not a landy its a MK but someone has mounted the old school hooks on the chassis for recovery points. I know they are not safe but honestly they are handy. Ill have to swap them around after reading this so thanks guys.

If your just pulling out using snatchem straps then why is it so dangerous. I can understand with cables, chains and metal items but if everyones clear then why is it so dangerous using snatchems?

Just curious?

patch697
21st July 2010, 01:27 AM
Cheers guys, just to clarify, its the not a landy its a MK but someone has mounted the old school hooks on the chassis for recovery points. I know they are not safe but honestly they are handy. Ill have to swap them around after reading this so thanks guys.

If your just pulling out using snatchem straps then why is it so dangerous. I can understand with cables, chains and metal items but if everyones clear then why is it so dangerous using snatchems?

Just curious?

If the hook or whatever your hooked up to comes off with the strap well need I say more.

Cheers
Paul

YNOT
21st July 2010, 07:14 PM

Just curious?

A gentle pull with a snatch strap puts very little strain on recovery points, it becomes dangerous when a vehicle is seriously stuck, and the snatch strap gets stretched by the recovering vehicle. A lot of energy gets stored in the strap as it stretches, a lot more than a chain or cable. if the recovery points are not up to the task of handling that force, the snatch strap will break them and turn them into deadly missiles.

Tony

locks
21st July 2010, 09:50 PM
Never really thought about like that Tony, thanks for the advice!

DX grunt
25th July 2010, 01:17 PM
More food for thought guys.

A while ago I posted this thread on a WA Patrol Forum. It might give you some ideas or suggestions.

Oops. will try again later.

locks
25th July 2010, 08:35 PM
G'day Locks.

Ever seen a towball or recovery hook that has catapulted through someones windscreen as a result of breaking off during a recovery? I haven't either, but this HAS happened and people HAVE died as a result of this.

Safety before speed ANY day.

Do yourself and your mates a huge favour and please follow safe operating procedures. It's better to be alive to have a beer at the end of the day than to try to save 10 minutes on the track.

Nothing personal mate, but if someone in my group had a speed before safety attitude they wouldn't be in the group for long!!

That's fare enough Plasnart. It was just already on there when i bought the troll but after reading all of your posts guys ill get the proper ones now.

Thanks for your feedbacks and concern.

Cheers.

NP99
30th April 2013, 12:42 AM
This was a great read from a member not knowing and willing to adapt. Also kudos to the guys with providing info in a constructive manner