PDA

View Full Version : blowing smoke under load

snake1978
10th May 2011, 05:11 PM
hey
ive had my gq diesel about 3-4 weeks.
We went up the beach last week, and alot of the way way pretty soft sand
high range most of the way, and a few spots 2nd high and foot to the floor
the guy following me said it was blowing alot ( more than normal) black smoke.
I followed the missus home today and everytime she put her foot down to accelerate, or overtake , there was constant black smoke

the car had a new injector pump fitted 2-3 months ago ( cost the guy over a grand) . A mate told me perhaps the new pump wasnt tuned or something with the motor and running rich, causeing the blow by crap more than it should. could this be true?? or anything else cause it.
i done an oil chane last week .
it starts sperfect, u barely have to turn the key , runs smooth, will idle all day.

thanks

TuffTD42
10th May 2011, 06:00 PM
The most common causes of pumping out the smoke is dirty air filter,crook injectors, crook pump,advanced pump timing & turning up the fuel. Dose it blow any black smoke if off the accelerator as if coasting down hill? that would mean there is a leaky injector/injectors. Mine blows it to. (not as bad as before it was turbo-ed) But my pump timing & fuel has all been turned up to match the 18psi the turbo is making. It could as well be what your mate has informed you of. quite a few pump more fuel in to get them to go a little better if not turbo-ed as well. could be the injectors needing an over haul.

Have you checked the air filter? You'll be surprised at how much a dirty filter can make them blow more smoke & use more fuel.

snake1978
10th May 2011, 06:23 PM
hey, no it only blows smoke when u accelerate heavily or load it, not just cruising
both air filters are clean, not even any signs of dust reall, but i do intend on getting the big oval one replaced with a k&n soon
ill probably start with having the injector pump checked first, make sure its all timed correctly
it doesnt have any misses, or splutters and if u werent behind it u wouldnt even know there was an issue
cheers

TuffTD42
11th May 2011, 08:27 PM
I won't use K&n filters on a 4wd. A fellow I worked with in Sydney also worked w/ends with a performance shop building some pretty big hp motors. Anyhow he tells me that just about every motor that came in that had bad bores were all running k&n filters. I ran them on my street/strip car but it wasn't in dusty conditions.

Let us know what you come up with when you sort out the smoke issue.

Cheers Jon.

Sir Roofy
11th May 2011, 09:01 PM
The most common causes of pumping out the smoke is dirty air filter,crook injectors, crook pump,advanced pump timing & turning up the fuel. Dose it blow any black smoke if off the accelerator as if coasting down hill? that would mean there is a leaky injector/injectors. Mine blows it to. (not as bad as before it was turbo-ed) But my pump timing & fuel has all been turned up to match the 18psi the turbo is making. It could as well be what your mate has informed you of. quite a few pump more fuel in to get them to go a little better if not turbo-ed as well. could be the injectors needing an over haul.

Have you checked the air filter? You'll be surprised at how much a dirty filter can make them blow more smoke & use more fuel.

x2 blowngq has just about covered the lot