PDA

View Full Version : Oil filling made easy

rbailey
9th May 2011, 07:59 PM
Hi,

One from the MG nut but I know you guys with all the extra boxes might appreciate even if you've got more room than me.

How to change the oil in your Gbox, Dif etc the easy way.
(Not a new idea I stole it of the WWW but thought I'd share.)

Trip to the garden center for a weed sprayer.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/05/22.jpg
(Don't trust the markings, I recalibrated, engraved with a dremel and paint pen. I don't use them for measuring the actual fill but more for a guide.)

Bit of bent pipe to go in.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/05/23.jpg

Into the box in question, few pumps to get up to pressure pressure and then let it work.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/05/24.jpg

No more long funnels or squrting in from the bottle.

Befoer next service I'm going to modifiy further to work as a pressure bleeder for brakes.

Hope you like,
Cheers,
Richard B.

Bigrig
9th May 2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks mate - simple and effective!!

big_fletch
9th May 2011, 09:02 PM
Good idea mate, make life alot easier

rbailey
9th May 2011, 09:10 PM
Great idea, but do you have a separate one for each oil or do you clean that one between oils?

Just the one (at the moment) and I change oil, a few drops of last grade doesn't hurt.
BUT I am giving serious consideration to a few so I'd have one each grade. If I had a bigger garage I would have more for sure.

AB
9th May 2011, 09:29 PM
Great idea!

I have a small pump bottle that only holds 500m and the tube keeps popping off..lol..Takes me a solid 30 minutes for each diff and a lot of swearing!!!

Major Black
9th May 2011, 10:02 PM
thats a great idea. i hope the boss doesn't chew me out when i steal her weed spray bottle

MudRunnerTD
25th May 2011, 11:19 PM
how does it go with the diff oil mate? i use LemSlip which is very thick...does it handle low viscosity oils ok?

Nice work mate, i like it....allot!

Bruza
26th May 2011, 11:02 AM
That is a good method, well done.
Here is another, very simplistic way. A funnel and some clean (new) garden hose.
As most oil bottles have measurement marks on them you can get very close, before pouring carefully. Or you can decant into an accurate measuring jug.
Also easy to do GB and transfer, just rig up through engine bay.

nowoolies
26th May 2011, 11:12 AM
bl00dy good idea mate
im gunna modify my weed sprayer hahahahah
i wonder how the weeds are gunna like diff oil hahahahahaha

HippoNZ
26th May 2011, 12:04 PM
Great idea!

I have a small pump bottle that only holds 500m and the tube keeps popping off..lol..Takes me a solid 30 minutes for each diff and a lot of swearing!!!
Too right! lol I know the feeling!

rbailey
26th May 2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys,.

I use a 70W which is quite viscous and not a problem, not super quick but okay and at least your not lying under the car dripping oil.
If concerned you could always put the pump in a bucket of hot / boiling water fro few minutes which will heat the oil and reduce the viscosity.

It is all done with air pressure so there are no moving parts to be effected by viscosity, only the friction losses in the hoses will increase with thicker oils.

p.s. High viscosity = Thick Low viscosity = Thin / runny.

Cheers,
Richard B.

flemj
31st May 2011, 08:20 PM
Hi,

That is a great idea, wish I had seen it earlier, I spent ages under the car filling it up

Thanks for the info
John

Finly Owner
31st May 2011, 10:15 PM
now brake bleeder what a bloody good idea, beats winding down a compressor.

Tim

MC97GQ
20th July 2011, 06:00 PM
I wonder how you'd go using one of these,

It'd put the oil in pretty quick I reckon
Quikspray Unit

Seriously though bloody good idea

Mark

NissanGQ4.2
20th July 2011, 07:00 PM
I would use this gizmo hand pump that is sitting in my shed if i could be bothered 2 change any oils, have used it once or twice ( years ago ) and works a treat.

I sort of borrowed it from an ex employer :) they didn't need it anyway *L*

zmaster
23rd July 2011, 04:32 PM
great idea, found a sprayer during street clean up, will look at doing the mods, am sick of transfering oil into small bottles.

Zoro

NUGGET
29th July 2011, 01:49 AM
You got me sold, off to Bunnings i go, might even buy one to spray the weeds with. " Dam fine idea "

Lahej_sas
18th February 2012, 07:42 AM
great idea ,, easy and cheap ,, i will make one for my self thanks

macca
18th February 2012, 09:06 AM
Use a weed sprayer as well, makes it really easy.
And less mess

Ben-e-boy
18th February 2012, 01:46 PM
the trick with thick oils is to fill a bucket or esky with hot water and put the unopened container of oil in let it heat up for a while ther oil will be thinner and easier to work with

nullack
18th February 2012, 02:33 PM
I like the weed sprayer idea. I use a hand pump I picked up from a car parts place but the issue I have with it, is that it only fits 1.5l whereas the weed sprayer has more capacity. Think Ill get one.

97_gq_lwb
18th February 2012, 02:41 PM
Funny i just did my gearbox it was easy a funnel and some heater hose thickness tube run down from the engine bay.
But the transfer was a pain the hose wasn't long enough so i drilled a hole in the lid of the bottle end fed the hose through real tight.
Then i drilled a small hole and forced the air gun into it and it pushed the oil up into the transfer wish i had of read this post earlier as i have a weed sprayer bottle.

Snafu
19th February 2012, 03:59 PM
I use Oilsafe containers, we also use these containers at work. The 10lt with the double action hand pump makes doing diffs and gearbox / transfer so easy. The best thing they don't leak. http://www.lubeng.com.au/brands-oilsafe.php

thebeatjackson
19th February 2012, 11:36 PM
Great Idea mate, I'm about to do a service this weekend, this will come in very handy.

iht2670
22nd February 2012, 10:24 PM
Good Idea. Does the oil attack the pump ?

Steve.

Robo
3rd March 2012, 01:11 PM
Good one bud.
who cares if it attacks pump seals they are so cheap any way.
the time and effort saved out weights any down falls.
if the oil is kept off/away from pump section then it should last along time anyway.
and only the bottle and hose is in contact with oil anyway.
use probably 20 times before throw away at worst.
again good on ya mate for the post.

axl
6th March 2012, 07:43 PM
Great idea. Never thought I'd need a weed sprayer in the toolbox :)