PDA

View Full Version : Rear U bolt on GQ... What the?

YalwalYowie
9th May 2011, 10:17 AM
Hi all, I am bewildered by the rear u bolt on the back of the GQ. I have read on this forum that this is not a rated recovery point but I can't seem to find anywhere that tells me what exactly it is for? Can anyone please fill me in? Surely it is not just for looks? It must have some practical use... can\t it

nowoolies
9th May 2011, 10:25 AM
just a factory tie down point i beleive
have seen the aftermath of one being used for recovery ..................not good!!!!

AB
9th May 2011, 10:59 AM
Believe it or not the user manual actually states to use this as a recovery point but please do not do this.

I would not be suprised if Nissan designed this for an actual recovery point!

the ferret
9th May 2011, 12:26 PM
Mate, If you use this loop as a recovery point other than towing on flat ground, you run the risk of the two but-welds letting go, and having to wear the loop.
These things don't stop when they hit a human head.
It is far safer to use the purpose built recovery eye which fits into the tow bar. AND, never snatch using the towball, there have been many deaths caused by flying towballs.
There are also other types of after market recovery brackets available, these are by far the safest option.

Bob
9th May 2011, 01:11 PM
I have used this for Towing using a Drag Chain and only for breakdowns. Still carry the Drag Chain for this use

Would never use with Snatch Strap

Finly Owner
9th May 2011, 08:54 PM
Yeah I believe that make excellent safety chainpoint for offroad trailers.

Tim

Bigrig
9th May 2011, 09:00 PM
Yep - I have straight towed with it, but irrespective of what the manual says, would never use it for snatching ... that said, there must be some truth to being able to use it, because if it did come off (and I appreciate other factors would come into play) Mr Nissan would have a case on his hands! And I'm sure he doesn't give his money away freely!

Finly Owner
9th May 2011, 09:04 PM
That being said Scott, Mr Nissan says only in emergency! How many would do it once, get away with it, so keep doing it, weakening it overtime, only to have a fatality after many successful recoveries.

Tim

Bigrig
9th May 2011, 09:06 PM
That being said Scott, Mr Nissan says only in emergency! How many would do it once, get away with it, so keep doing it, weakening it overtime, only to have a fatality after many successful recoveries.

Tim

100% correct - I can't see that it would suffer abuse for long ...

Finly Owner
9th May 2011, 09:08 PM
I personally think they are for tethering the horse to at horse shows. LMAO

Tim

Bigrig
9th May 2011, 09:11 PM

Tim

Whilst you wet your whistle in the saloon?? lmfao

AB
9th May 2011, 09:33 PM
I have been known to tie up two mongrel dogs to it....lol

Silver
10th May 2011, 06:25 PM
G'day YalWal Yowie,

interesting question! If you search on this forum under recovery point, or recovery hook, you'll find quite a bit of info.

YalwalYowie
11th May 2011, 12:35 PM

Tim

This is the winning answer guys! Thanks for the replies. It is unfathonable that it is there if unsafe to use but will heed the advice and steer clear of it. I have a tow bar and recovery point so dont really need it but couldn't understand it being there in the way if was not for use!
Thanks again everyone for clearing it up for me

Bigrig
11th May 2011, 12:47 PM
This is the winning answer guys! Thanks for the replies. It is unfathonable that it is there if unsafe to use but will heed the advice and steer clear of it. I have a tow bar and recovery point so dont really need it but couldn't understand it being there in the way if was not for use!

Mine will be gone soon after I give the back end the 'chop chop' and install a new rear bar - problem solved for me!

Silver
11th May 2011, 12:58 PM

If you remember the old original GQ ads from TV, you might recall that it is for towing broken down ferries across rivers. I think they may have cheekily put a tojo or two on said ferry :-)

Silver
11th May 2011, 12:59 PM
Mine will be gone soon after I give the back end the 'chop chop' and install a new rear bar - problem solved for me!

or you could put a NATO pintle there with bigger bolts :-)

YalwalYowie
11th May 2011, 02:06 PM
What exactly is it attached to? Could it be beefed up?

PT Paul
31st July 2011, 04:55 PM
It could be a land based para-sailing attachment point. Think it's rated to 'tourist weight'.

Nags
4th August 2011, 12:27 AM
I wasnt even aware it was factory fitted, i thought some one thru out my cars life just stuck it there for their own reasons!