PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in salt water

DX grunt
17th July 2010, 06:00 AM
Pretend I'm dumb (LOL) :confused: and tell me what size rod, and what kg line, I need to catch what sort of fish, using what sort of bait in what sort of spot.

I'm savvy with fresh water fishing, but know nothing about salt water fishing.

Tell us your fishing story and about tides? Eva been caught by the tide? I might need to learn from your experience.

I know rabbits and foxes don't like a full moon (either do I - lol), so what about fish?

Ross

Maxhead
17th July 2010, 08:58 AM
Hmm, interesting. We'll get all sorts of answers.

Gear I use of the rocks for bream, drummer, snapper,red mowies, etc - 12foot snyder glass 6rap rod (fairly soft) with an egg beater or alvey reel. 6lb line with running sinker to the hook. Sinker as small as you need to just be able to cast out and small hook. You want the bait to swirl around as naturally as possible and not sit on the bottom.
I use green prawns from a fish shop not the frozen bait from tackle shop. Peeled seems to work a bit better especially on the drummer.

High tide in the afternoon works for me and yes I have been caught.....but all good as you just have to fish a bit longer

Game, beach, boat, estuary, river .....I might come back a bit later

AB
17th July 2010, 09:17 AM
Fishing in saltwater out of a boat.

Spiderwire every time.

I swear by this and have never snapped my line to date touch wood.

The only downside to spiderwire is that it will break easily if rubbed against the reef or on logs, etc in fresh water but to pull in the big ones spider wire is the go.

Heres some info from their site...

http://www.spiderwire.com

Tickle a spider's web and the spider immediately detects that signal. Send a fishing signal up the line of Spiderwire and the angler can immediately detect that signal too. These lines have incredible signal transmission qualities and can be super-strong at incredibly small diameters relative to monofilament. Spiderwire is 3 to 5 times thinner than an average monofilament of comparable tensile strength!

Maxhead
17th July 2010, 09:38 AM
Stand up Game...
This works on marlin and tuna -15 or 24kg stanup rod(6 foot), 15 or 24 kg overhead game reel(tiagra or similar) 15 or 24kg mono line which ends with a double or a plat. For live bait 10/0 to 16/0 stainless hook with a livey attached with a string which goes through the eye cavity of the fish and attaches to the hook. Troll 8-10 knots
Lures - troll 10-14 knots but it depends on the lure type. WE usually use the christmas tree type.
Tide doesn't matter I find, but look out for bait schools and birds working the water
Teasers are a must behind the boat

Cubeing - well you are not trolling but stationery. Throw a little cube of pilchard out every 10-20 seconds to get the tuna up to the boat then throw out a live bait setup. This can take couple of hours each time(hard work)

Gimble and a back brace is a must