PDA

View Full Version : New OZ TENT RS-1 swag

mad66
12th January 2018, 08:38 PM
Has anyone ordered one of these yet? New swag coming out this month
https://www.oztent.com.au/Products/tent-range/oztent-range/rs-1-swag-shop

AB
12th January 2018, 09:45 PM
Mb and I just caught up and saw your post.

Would be very keen to hear first hand experience of it for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
12th January 2018, 09:47 PM
Would like to see a packed up pic?

mad66
12th January 2018, 09:57 PM
Not much info out there yet guys, this clip gives an idea of size. Doesn't look to bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNx9hr4Bwuc

MB
12th January 2018, 10:04 PM
Cheers mate!
I’ve got an RV5 for family casual trips and do love it, very ingenious designs they are. It does test ones back out getting it up on the roof though. I reckon this little swag is a cool mini idea for sure!

AB
12th January 2018, 10:12 PM
Damn it I wish I never saw that vid!

Packs up nice actually!

mad66
12th January 2018, 10:19 PM
Yeah they look alright keen to get some reviews. Not sure about the "super comfy - 25mm mattress" and don't know much about this ModCan material, but I suppose we will soon find out. But it is light and compact enough for me so hope it gets good reviews.

MB
12th January 2018, 10:22 PM
Bugger, just watched it a tenth time. Don’t think my stinky old comfy sleeping bag and ‘complimentary’ cattle class pillow will roll/fold up inside though?

PeeBee
12th January 2018, 10:25 PM
Yeah they look alright keen to get some reviews. Not sure about the "super comfy - 25mm mattress" and don't know much about this ModCan material, but I suppose we will soon find out. But it is light and compact enough for me so hope it gets good reviews.

I would replace it with a thermarest and jobs done, looks good. Still a ground based tent though. I have converted to a Darche on a stretcher and must easier to get in and out of.

mad66
12th January 2018, 10:26 PM
Bugger, just watched it a tenth time. Don’t think my stinky old comfy sleeping bag and ‘complimentary’ cattle class pillow will roll/fold up inside though?

That is what I noticed too. Big bummer

MB
12th January 2018, 10:30 PM
11th time watched, maybe looks like the mattress has to come out too:-( ? Still are cool designs though, nice little veranda for boots etc...!

mad66
12th January 2018, 10:44 PM
11th time watched, maybe looks like the mattress has to come out too:-( ? Still are cool designs though, nice little veranda for boots etc...!

Well that would suck. In the vid there was no mattress. not looking so good.

MB
12th January 2018, 10:58 PM
Tend to agree mate. ‘Camping’ out there in this great land is either Solo (quick as bloke Swag/Tarp) or midway (RV3,4 or 5 for my beautiful gals comfort) within this ripper Aussie design range :-) ! BTW, their new age canvas stuff rocks for breathability IMO !

Hodge
12th January 2018, 11:19 PM
My mate has one pre ordered from snowys.
Looking forward to first hand assessment when he gets it.

However...
On paper....
Looking at the price, weight, size, packed size... Why would you bother. For a bit of extra $ get the full size RV.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

MB
12th January 2018, 11:44 PM
:-( Apologies, forgot about our last family adventure including a teenage requested RV adaptation needed to the older RV5 :-) https://www.oztent.com.au/Products/accessories-range/tagalong-tents Spuds scored their own room finally wanted and it created a communal tucker shade between! Near the same price I guess as the swag although does need a solid structure to connect to; AKA RV5 and or a Patrol :-)

the evil twin
13th January 2018, 01:05 AM
Like other posts I don't like being on the ground so I have the RV1 and fly.
I bought an RV1 as it stores shorter than the RV2 thru 5 so it fits better in the Ute Tray.
The camp stretcher with swag on top fit inside with oodles of headroom and about 1/3rd of the useable space left over.
The 'verandah' area is big enough for two camp chairs (mine plus any visitor who brings beer).

The RS1 (what an unfortunate choice of name) strikes me as a cut down version of the RV1 which is fair enough I spose.
I would suggest the setup time would be almost identical but a major space saver when packed.

Unless they have had a brain explosion I would suggest the quality etc would be as good or better so no worries there

MudRunnerTD
13th January 2018, 09:13 AM
That looks awesome but your down on your knees to get under the awning and into the tent. I'd rather step into my swag and get comfy.

Packing a separate decent self inflating mattress is no big deal I reckon.

I intent to but either a tag along tent for my RV5 or another RV4 for the kids and set them up together.

My swag on stretcher under tarp works great so will stick with it I reckon.

Hodge
13th January 2018, 02:06 PM
I like it how you can flip the awning back over the swag to create a secondary fly over it during rain etc... That's very cool I think.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74192&stc=1

the evil twin
13th January 2018, 03:25 PM
Hmmm... it packs the same size as the RV1 but is 6Kg lighter (14 versus 20)
Setup width is the same (215 Cm) so they must have lopped 50 Cm off the 'spreaders' which determine depth and height so the RS1 is therefore 50 shallower and 50 lower (100 Cm versus 150 Cm).

That should mean they are as good a quality as each other.

Flipping the awning for a rain fly may not be that good IMHO as it means the entry and vents are now exposed.
Having those vents in the peak open makes the tent MUCH more comfy.

Def not for me but they will have a good market, for example Oztent reckoned the RV1 was OK for rooftopper use but IMHO it was too big.
Lot more comfy and airy than a Swag "coffin" in less than ideal weather too.

Maxhead
13th January 2018, 06:47 PM
Lot of swags I see including top of line arb ones are no good in the rain and hot temps where you can’t leave them open to get air in on the sides
This looks like an answer to those swag troubles.
Still not sure about it as I haven’t seen one but if it is as good as my rv it could be a goer.
They need a double but I reckon the price is going to fark them

................on the move

MB
13th January 2018, 06:53 PM
I think we all (including me :-) ) need to stop calling it a ‘Swag’ surely it is a little tent, lol :-)

Maxhead
13th January 2018, 06:59 PM
I think we all (including me :-) ) need to stop calling it a ‘Swag’ surely it is a little tent, lol :-)

Yep you are right as usual Marky boy.

Just to clarify, we camped on Tuross river few weeks back and others had two arb double swags and one had a cheap 4wdsuper duper king daddy and we had our rv5.
It pissed down in the evening but the arbs were dry as but hot, the king daddy got flooded, we were cool and dry. It was hot as fark that night

MB
13th January 2018, 07:02 PM
For sure Krisso mate! RV’s do rock, we love em like your mob do too :-)! In fact it was your influence that set us off on a saving mission, we’ve never looked back ;-)

Maxhead
13th January 2018, 07:07 PM
For sure Krisso mate! RV’s do rock, we love em like your mob do too :-)! In fact it was your influence that set us off on a saving mission, we’ve never looked back ;-)

I’m after a double swag myself for those overnighters for me and the missus, boys got swags already.
Was going to buy one of these arb ones but will wait to see what oztent releases

Hodge
13th January 2018, 07:34 PM
Good call on, labeling this a mini-tent. And not a swag!!
I've had several swags over the years... But my original ARB dome is the best one I've had overall !! Quality, comfort, warmth in winter!! I'll never part with it and will last for a long time at this rate. It's been through hell and back, in some very shit weather and never leaked or anything like that.
The only little draw back with it is, in warmer weather i can get hot as fark in there!
The new design of the ARB dome's have a much larger openable roof for a million star view and will definitely make it cooler inside.

Also the mattress that comes with it is worth its weight in $ alone !! SO comfortable even on the ground...
I cannot speak of the new versions of the dome as they are a different design and a different canvas. Slightly thinner.

I also LOVE my RV4, which I use in warmer months even when solo camping. The air flow is just amazing and sets up in seconds. Sets up way quicker than any of my swags!

mad66
13th January 2018, 07:37 PM
Yep you are right as usual Marky boy.

Just to clarify, we camped on Tuross river few weeks back and others had two arb double swags and one had a cheap 4wdsuper duper king daddy and we had our rv5.
It pissed down in the evening but the arbs were dry as but hot, the king daddy got flooded, we were cool and dry. It was hot as fark that night

I am suprised you say the king daddy got flooded, I have got one and it has been through a down poor and not got a drop in it and it was hot but not at night. I would hate to be in it at night on a hot night pissing down it would be unbearable. the more I hear of these rv 3,4 and 5's the more I am wanting one. I am getting frustrated in which way to turn, do I get an rv1, or rv2 and use a self inflatting mattress or rv3 and stretcher or just keep it simple and get a new swag. I am a big bloke an 52 and have a hell of a time getting up out of a swag and do need a bit of room as I also use a cpap machine to top thing off. Which way to go is doing my head in.

Maxhead
13th January 2018, 07:49 PM
I am suprised you say the king daddy got flooded, I have got one and it has been through a down poor and not got a drop in it and it was hot but not at night. I would hate to be in it at night on a hot night pissing down it would be unbearable. the more I hear of these rv 3,4 and 5's the more I am wanting one. I am getting frustrated in which way to turn, do I get an rv1, or rv2 and use a self inflatting mattress or rv3 and stretcher or just keep it simple and get a new swag. I am a big bloke an 52 and have a hell of a time getting up out of a swag and do need a bit of room as I also use a cpap machine to top thing off. Which way to go is doing my head in.

Yeah it was flooded in one corner, half of the mattress was wet as. After closer look we figured it came through the seams and possibly zips but never mind, shit happens
I know a few fellows who have one and swear by it.
I suppose it depends how hard and long it pisses down for.

All I can say mate, you will not be disappointed in the rv series...gold

mad66
13th January 2018, 08:00 PM
The reason I need a new setup is the zippers on the big daddy don't blood work and I can't roll the thing up properly by myself, it sags to much in the middle so it feels like a swag half the size. The rv range might be my answer. I was thinking of the rv1 but I don't think a stretcher will fit in that size. from what I understand is I need to go to the rv3 to fit the stretcher I want which is the Darches xl 100.

Maxhead
13th January 2018, 08:08 PM
The reason I need a new setup is the zippers on the big daddy don't blood work and I can't roll the thing up properly by myself, it sags to much in the middle so it feels like a swag half the size. The rv range might be my answer. I was thinking of the rv1 but I don't think a stretcher will fit in that size. from what I understand is I need to go to the rv3 to fit the stretcher I want which is the Darches xl 100.

I’ll wait to see if they release a double swag and see what dimensions they are . I reckon if they stick with the same material it will be a winner. I can just shake the water/condensation of the rv5 no dramas and it’s the quickest drying material I have ever seen... no need to put it up when you get home too

Edit; and that’s after a full nights rain

mad66
13th January 2018, 08:13 PM
I’ll wait to see if they release a double swag and see what dimensions they are . I reckon if they stick with the same material it will be a winner. I can just shake the water/condensation of the rv5 no dramas and it’s the quickest drying material I have ever seen... no need to put it up when you get home too

Edit; and that’s after a full nights rain

Are you talking about the 8oz poly/cotton canvas as the new swag is made from a ModCan material?

Maxhead
13th January 2018, 08:15 PM
Are you talking about the 8oz poly/cotton canvas as the new swag is made from a ModCan material?

If that is the same material the rv is made from then yes, for sure.
I wouldn’t think they would change from something that has worked for them so well

mad66
13th January 2018, 08:22 PM
All the rv range is 8oz poly/cotton canvas, the swag is this ModCan material what ever that is.

the evil twin
13th January 2018, 08:22 PM
snip... I am getting frustrated in which way to turn, do I get an rv1, or rv2 and use a self inflatting mattress or rv3 and stretcher or just keep it simple and get a new swag. I am a big bloke an 52 and have a hell of a time getting up out of a swag and do need a bit of room as I also use a cpap machine to top thing off. Which way to go is doing my head in.

I'm older than that by 10 years, 140Kg and knees are shot
If I lie on the ground I need a Fork Lift to get up

You don't need an RV3 unless you want heaps of room
I have an RV1 and it fits a large single camp stretcher with my king single swag on top of that no worries.
Plenty of room left for bags and gear.
Comfy as with large vents/windows... and 150Cm's high means full head room if I am sitting up

RV2 is OK as well but is longer when packed (same length as the 3/4/5) and I wanted one that would fit in my Tray.

mad66
13th January 2018, 08:32 PM
I'm older than that by 10 years, 140Kg and knees are shot
If I lie on the ground I need a Fork Lift to get up

You don't need an RV3 unless you want heaps of room
I have an RV1 and it fits a large single camp stretcher with my king single swag on top of that no worries.
Plenty of room left for bags and gear.
Comfy as with large vents/windows... and 150Cm's high means full head room if I am sitting up

RV2 is OK as well but is longer when packed (same length as the 3/4/5) and I wanted one that would fit in my Tray.

That sounds good but the width of the rv1 is 215 and the stretcher that I want is 215 x100, might be a bit tight. but I am not looking for heaps of room. rvi1 would be the best option for me if I can get a big ass stretcher in it.

MudRunnerTD
14th January 2018, 03:04 PM
I reckon if your chasing an RV type tent then go the RV4 as its a great size. it really is not much different to pack and will take your gear easily. Got room if you end up taking a grand kid or something and a little more flexible. Great tent. As you get older a little room around you is nice, dont rip yourself off.

I have an RV5 with Peaked front but rarely set up the front. I have the storm fly that i leave permanently connected and pack up the tent with it connected. Often i will leave the front awning just hanging or in bad weather i will peg it out 500 away at the base without poles to allow me to slip in behind it and get in the tent. I can take my boots off under there and leave them. That is probably what i would do with the RS1 too which then basically makes it look like a conventional Peaked tent where you crawl in one side.

One night on the way to the Simpson we were camped at the Caravan park at Orooroo in SA and damn did it rain! Hard!!. i had mine set up as above. it was hot and wet as a shag. I had good ventilation and the storm fly kept the main tent basically dry. AB and Winnie got flooded out and ended up in the Laundry for the night and i was bone dry. funny night.

Winnie
14th January 2018, 03:08 PM
I reckon if your chasing an RV type tent then go the RV4 as its a great size. it really is not much different to pack and will take your gear easily. Got room if you end up taking a grand kid or something and a little more flexible. Great tent. As you get older a little room around you is nice, dont rip yourself off.

I have an RV5 with Peaked front but rarely set up the front. I have the storm fly that i leave permanently connected and pack up the tent with it connected. Often i will leave the front awning just hanging or in bad weather i will peg it out 500 away at the base without poles to allow me to slip in behind it and get in the tent. I can take my boots off under there and leave them. That is probably what i would do with the RS1 too which then basically makes it look like a conventional Peaked tent where you crawl in one side.

One night on the way to the Simpson we were camped at the Caravan park at Orooroo in SA and damn did it rain! Hard!!. i had mine set up as above. it was hot and wet as a shag. I had good ventilation and the storm fly kept the main tent basically dry. AB and Winnie got flooded out and ended up in the Laundry for the night and i was bone dry. funny night.Yeah real funny ya jerk!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
14th January 2018, 03:14 PM
Yeah real funny ya jerk!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mate it was hilarious!! Later! I thought of you guys when I was there the other week. Legendary night. Awesome trip.

PeeBee
14th January 2018, 07:20 PM
What confuses me is that this cut down tent is about as close to a swag as this Darche unit. The only difference for me is perhaps the extra 120 seconds to get it up and maybe the breathability, but is it worth the cost difference - both are essentially 2 man tents.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Darche-Dirty-Dee-900-Swag/331948116169?hash=item4d49a648c9:g:6uQAAOSwA3dYhBa G

mad66
14th January 2018, 08:18 PM
What confuses me is that this cut down tent is about as close to a swag as this Darche unit. The only difference for me is perhaps the extra 120 seconds to get it up and maybe the breathability, but is it worth the cost difference - both are essentially 2 man tents.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Darche-Dirty-Dee-900-Swag/331948116169?hash=item4d49a648c9:g:6uQAAOSwA3dYhBa G

Yes I have seen the Dirty Dee and they come in 900,1100,1400 the rs1 is 1000mm wide, but unless you are skinny as I wouln't call them 2 man tents. the dirty dee 1400 you might get two people in but it would still be tight.