PDA

View Full Version : front diff recomendations

Tip12345
9th January 2018, 09:49 PM
Hi all whats the thoughts on a front diff for my gu 2 .some sort of locking diff .want to up grade my front diff to play in the sand better

happygu
9th January 2018, 11:00 PM
I would look at the E-Locker if money is no option and that is my preferred option .... otherwise there are numerous others that have autolockers and they are happy with them.

MB
10th January 2018, 08:18 PM
Up here in the mountains a lot of blokes seem to fit air lockers. I personally have had ARB ones on past and present vehicles and do like them. Have had only one sour experience though prior to fitting an air/water seperator thingy where the solenoids bogged up actuating when needed. Have heard good things of E-Lockers on here too but I am an electrical nuffy still learning. Not sure of pricing on either versions these days but always figured my vehicles needed a good compressor for tyres anyway so always stuck with air lockers. FWIW back in the day I only heard many horror stories of early version automatic lockers exploding through slippery creek crossing rock on/off/on/pop situations and certainly scared me then onto selectable choice lockers when deemed needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dads tractor
6th March 2018, 04:45 PM
I run the e-locker in the 4.2 and my son has the ARB air in his 3lt both diesel utes .Personally for me engaging the front lockers in sand is a waste of time as it only digs the front in even more just drop tyre pressure some more,and use the lockers on mud, shale,and crawling over rocks.

the evil twin
6th March 2018, 05:00 PM
I have run auto lockers in the front of my last 4 Patrols (prob about 600,000 K's all up).

Beach is probably the least ideal terrain for them unless you get used to how to drive with one.
Once you get it sorted then no worries.
On the beach I sometimes leave the pax side hub unlocked so the front can still differentiate and on sandy tracks you need to roll off the throttle on corners a tad more so they can unlock and not plough.

If I had to choose between air or e-locker I would go e-locker but FWIW I've not had any failures with an auto locker so thats all I bother running.
As posted by others.. I wouldn't bother fitting any locker if it was just for the beach

Tip12345
6th March 2018, 06:14 PM
That's what have done .. the thought of trying to keep wires or air lines safe put me off . Have an auto . It's great for what I do .thanks

MB
6th March 2018, 06:46 PM
Cheers mate, happy travels, enjoy the traction, good stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulbous
7th March 2018, 02:58 PM
Save your money, lockers are not particularly effective in sand, and not required unless you're stuck.
If the rear locker can't get you out of a stuck then I don't think a front will either.
Lower tire pressures and a set of Tredz or Max Trax is a lot cheaper.