PDA

View Full Version : Thought they were thirsty????

1nando
9th January 2018, 09:19 PM
For the record I have never re-set the ltrs/100km since i received the car on the 2nd of December (S4 my18 Ti) so the reading is 100% accuarte. Just completed Sydney to Mildura, Mildura to Adelaide, Adelaide to Melbourne, and Melbourne back to Sydney.
In that was a 2 day trip to the Barossa, 1 day trip to vic harbour, Dandenong ranges and much much more.

Did over 3000kms worth of city driving in total and the rest was highway kms.
We would have weighed 3200kg-3300kgs or there abouts.......i thought they we're thirsty??? 13.1ltrs/100kms is amazing for so much power and weight.

The best parts however are;

1) saving more than $20k compared to the equivalent Toyota land cruiser
2) blasting past any land cruiser that was ahead of me. I actually had a moron in a worked 79 series try his best not to let me overtake him but he was left in the big patrols wake..
3) the luxury and comfort we travlled in was first class. Mrs loved the comfort compared to our 110 defender.

This is without doubt the best touring vehicle ive ever owned.

As for serious offroad; its still standard for now so i cant comment.....and to shiny. However i know it will never be anywhere near as good as my 110 defender which is a built for purpose beast.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/65.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/66.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

growler2058
10th January 2018, 04:36 AM
You might just be surprised how much better than the 110 your Patrol is off road

Maxhead
10th January 2018, 06:56 AM
Been in one a few times and they certainly are beautiful to drive. Mate of mine gets around 18-20l/100 but he drives it like a race car..lol

................on the move

1nando
10th January 2018, 07:31 AM
You might just be surprised how much better than the 110 your Patrol is off roadThere arent too many vehicles that are as good as the defenders off road mate. I dont doubt the y62 will be good but its weight, size, wheel track and length, approach and departure angles, break over angle, lack of wheel travel (compared to my solid axles) etc are all limiting factors.
The defender covers all of these and more.
They are 2 completely different vehicles; one drives like a truck and looks like it was made 40 years ago and feels like it was made 40 years ago and the other is a modern super comfortable vehicle that drives effortlessly and can take my family a lot of places safely.

The y62 is a lot of car for the money. I just wish they came out with the Armada style rear lights as i hate the Alteza style clear lights.

As for fuel use; i dont think a vx 200 would be any better????

Winnie
10th January 2018, 09:02 AM
The 200 is a little bit better on fuel around town but the reason most people buy them is to tow big caravans and once you have a big van on them they have very similar consumption to the V8 Patrol with the same van.
The $20k price difference will buy you a lot of petrol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BillsGU
10th January 2018, 10:02 AM
A house brick is more comfortable than a defender!

1nando
10th January 2018, 02:13 PM
A house brick is more comfortable than a defender!Lol....its a very similar shape....

the evil twin
10th January 2018, 03:34 PM
A house brick is more comfortable than a defender!

Compared to a Defender (well, the one we had in our fleet at least) a house brick also...

- hurts less after you sit on it for 30 minutes
- easier to service
- leaks less fluids on your driveway
- has better colour options
- doesn't get as hot if you leave it in the sun
- has better acceleration (uphill or down)
- doesn't require hearing protection to operate
- doesn't hurt as much if you drop it on your foot
- retains more trade-in value

growler2058
10th January 2018, 05:48 PM
There arent too many vehicles that are as good as the defenders off road mate. I dont doubt the y62 will be good but its weight, size, wheel track and length, approach and departure angles, break over angle, lack of wheel travel (compared to my solid axles) etc are all limiting factors.
The defender covers all of these and more.
They are 2 completely different vehicles; one drives like a truck and looks like it was made 40 years ago and feels like it was made 40 years ago and the other is a modern super comfortable vehicle that drives effortlessly and can take my family a lot of places safely.

The y62 is a lot of car for the money. I just wish they came out with the Armada style rear lights as i hate the Alteza style clear lights.

As for fuel use; i dont think a vx 200 would be any better????

Get back to us when you've done a trip mate :)

1nando
10th January 2018, 05:58 PM
Im about to put ko2s on her soon (275/65r18) which is 1.6% shorter than the standard tyres. Should keep fuel economy about the same as now only with a more aggressive tread. Im setting it up for easy touring amd nothing extreme.

Im undecided on which bullbar. Any recommendations ??

Also considering the kaymar rear bar

1nando
10th January 2018, 06:09 PM
Compared to a Defender (well, the one we had in our fleet at least) a house brick also...

- easier to service
- retains more trade-in valueInteresting. Most people talk about land rovers and havent ever owned one and usually the storys are always of a third party...my dads uncles brother blah blah.

Anyway it was comfortable just the back seat could not fit two baby seats. This is the defenders achilies heel hence the arrival of the Patrol. Never leaked, is a fantastic limited edition orkney grey and black, solid, reliable and drove over everything like a tractor. So i dont know what your trying to imply. My mates 3L twin locked GU on 35s had a hard time following the same lines and im on 33s and twin locked also.

As for resale value; bought it for $65k in 2013 and sold it for $65k to a bloke who is picking it up tomorrow. Not a typo $65k!

Im not here to argue about my defender i just used it as an example of what ive observed from owning both vehicles. I dont know why people love to hate land rovers, they are an amazing machine and i know ill regret this sale more than any other, but i have other responsibilities these days.

For thr record love the y62 and its amazing.

BillsGU
10th January 2018, 10:32 PM
All rear bars do is add extra weight. Do you really need two spares? Are you going so remote (where in Oz?) that you need large amounts of extra fuel? Save your money.

As far as bull bars go - I'm not sure if they make a SmartBar for the Y62 yet - but they are light weight, look good, never need painting or polishing and rate very well for front impacts. They even return to form after minor collisions after you heat them up with the wife's hair drier!

Bonus!

BillsGU
10th January 2018, 10:40 PM

- easier to service
- retains more trade-in value

In my day I had more than one in my fleet and all the above apply - and I had the 6WD turbo version! Still an unreliable piece of crap.

Avo
10th January 2018, 10:42 PM
Interesting. Most people talk about land rovers and havent ever owned one and usually the storys are always of a third party...my dads uncles brother blah blah.

Anyway it was comfortable just the back seat could not fit two baby seats. This is the defenders achilies heel hence the arrival of the Patrol. Never leaked, is a fantastic limited edition orkney grey and black, solid, reliable and drove over everything like a tractor. So i dont know what your trying to imply. My mates 3L twin locked GU on 35s had a hard time following the same lines and im on 33s and twin locked also.

As for resale value; bought it for $65k in 2013 and sold it for $65k to a bloke who is picking it up tomorrow. Not a typo $65k!

Im not here to argue about my defender i just used it as an example of what ive observed from owning both vehicles. I dont know why people love to hate land rovers, they are an amazing machine and i know ill regret this sale more than any other, but i have other responsibilities these days.

For thr record love the y62 and its amazing.

i'll think you'll find he's referring to the one he drove or owned in a fleet of vehicles..so not really someone's dads uncle....

the evil twin
11th January 2018, 01:41 PM
13.1 LPH is amazingly good economy if it is correct, not even Nissan claim anything like that figure.

Having said that, in any model range, there are some vehicles that get great economy and some that get rubbish.
The ZD30 is a prime example, some people on here could never get better than 15, most get around 12.5 and a few get 11's.

I would do two things, first I would check the accuracy of the Odo over a known distance/GPS and second I would check that the tank actually takes what the LPH says and not noticeably more.
That LPH figure from the onboard Computer isn't always correct.

If the LPH is, say, 13 and you drive a genuine 300 K's after a fill and yet the tank accepts 35 not 30ish then the vehicle is actually using what Nissan claim.

If the dash figures are accurate then, well done, you lucked out in a big way and don't let Nissan do any ECU updates/remaps

the evil twin
11th January 2018, 01:50 PM
i'll think you'll find he's referring to the one he drove or owned in a fleet of vehicles..so not really someone's dads uncle....

Hiya Avo,

Yeah, I think maybe the OP got that and was making a general comment.

The Defender we had replaced a 4.8 Patrol and was, in turn, replaced by a 200 series.
It was the only fleet vehicle that didn't make the 80,000 in 3 years rotation 'cause it spent most of its time off road... as in"off the road parked up in the shed 'cause noone would drive it".
In fairness a 4.8 and a 200 are stiff competition but when people would rather drive a poverty pack Triton or Navara Ute, well enuf said

BillsGU
11th January 2018, 03:59 PM
On a recent trip to The Cape a friend tagged along in a Pajero. He was always quoting wonderful figures over the radio about the fuel economy his computer was displaying. Each time we filled our tanks I took note of the fuel he took on and the Patrol always used less fuel (we were similarly loaded and travelled the same k's). When I calculated my figures from k's travelled and litres of diesel used, they were no where near as good as what his computer calculated, even though I took on less fuel.

There are a few variables when the on board computer calculates fuel consumption. Unless each measuring device is calibrated the accuracy would not be perfect.

1nando
11th January 2018, 05:35 PM
13.1 LPH is amazingly good economy if it is correct, not even Nissan claim anything like that figure.

Having said that, in any model range, there are some vehicles that get great economy and some that get rubbish.
The ZD30 is a prime example, some people on here could never get better than 15, most get around 12.5 and a few get 11's.

I would do two things, first I would check the accuracy of the Odo over a known distance/GPS and second I would check that the tank actually takes what the LPH says and not noticeably more.
That LPH figure from the onboard Computer isn't always correct.

If the LPH is, say, 13 and you drive a genuine 300 K's after a fill and yet the tank accepts 35 not 30ish then the vehicle is actually using what Nissan claim.

If the dash figures are accurate then, well done, you lucked out in a big way and don't let Nissan do any ECU updates/remapsFor the record i always work out how many liters i put in at the pump to how many kms i completed and its bang on.