PDA

View Full Version : TD42t to LS1 Conversion

Chappy
29th December 2017, 11:14 PM
G'day guys,

It's been a while since I've been an active poster on the forums but I'm still an active reader. I thought I'd post up my current conversion to help others in the future looking at doing the same thing.

After a suspected head gasket/head in my TD & constant driving alongside my brother in his LS GQ I've decided to throw a worked LS1 into my GQ.

I found a conversion in Brisbane with all the Marks goodies, rebuilt and worked LS1 & strengthened and built 4l60e auto.

Engine: VY LS1 making 300rwhp on 33s in a GU.

Comp Cams cam
Precision Roller Rockers
Beehive valve springs
Aeroflow fuel rails
Ported heads
Upgraded injectors
Genie extractors

Auto: 4L60e

Shift kitted
Upgraded bands
Pump upgrade
Converter shop converter
B&M Shifter

We made a whirlwind 4 day trip to Brisbane and checked out the motor, it was just as described so I took it home with me. Over the last couple of days I've started the swap so I'll post some photos as I go along.

Chappy
29th December 2017, 11:59 PM
Picking up the motor in Brisbane:

At home in the garage:

Pulling the TD out:

ZD30 transfer cased swapped out for the TD transfer:

Bolt-ons added to the motor (engine mounts & AC pump added since):

Clutch pedal removed:

I ordered a Deatschwerks DW200 fuel pump, the supplier accidentally sent me 2, Merry Christmas!

I've bent & relocated the metal fuel & brake lines so that they run on top of the chassis rail, & made a sheet metal heat shield which I covered with heat shield material. Apparently it's needed for engineering as the headers run close to the chassis rail.

Tonight I started cutting out the TD engine mounts. Hit them with the cutting disc, grinding disc then flappy wheel. Chassis will be repainted a nice gloss black.

Rossco
30th December 2017, 11:58 AM
Wow, it's turning into more of a mongrel than mine. . . What happened to the td start using water or getting hot? . . Should be able to get a few $$ back for the motor & parts i guess. Good luck work it should be good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chappy
30th December 2017, 03:31 PM
Wow, it's turning into more of a mongrel than mine. . . What happened to the td start using water or getting hot? . . Should be able to get a few $$ back for the motor & parts i guess. Good luck work it should be good.

How's yours coming along? It started pushing a bit of coolant into the overflow under high boost. I've bought a new head, waterpump, all gaskets etc so I'll put all that on and sell it as a conversion.

Rossco
30th December 2017, 05:24 PM
Yeah it's going great. About to embark on this turbo install then she'll be done. Well not really guess it's never done there's always something! Considering doing head gasket and possibly head as just want to make make sure it's up to scratch with more power and a bit sceptical on a couple of things. Will have a look tho. . .

Chappy
30th December 2017, 07:33 PM
Yeah it's going great. About to embark on this turbo install then she'll be done. Well not really guess it's never done there's always something! Considering doing head gasket and possibly head as just want to make make sure it's up to scratch with more power and a bit sceptical on a couple of things. Will have a look tho. . .

Good to hear she's coming along, would surely be the tidiest GQ on the road now. Order your parts from www.partsouq.com it was much, much cheaper than ordering locally.

Chappy
30th December 2017, 07:39 PM
Removed the second engine mount & reworked my fuel lines and heat shield. I made sure all the fuel lines ran behind the steering column.

Quick test fit

Modified the diesel fuel sender to accommodate the electric fuel pump

Wine_maker
16th February 2018, 05:36 PM
Looks great mate!
And it really wants this