PDA

View Full Version : Power from front to rear

jp4294
27th December 2017, 07:08 PM
Hey all,
I'm wondering how you have all run power to the rear of your Patrols?
I've got the second battery under the bonnet and so far I've got a power wire running to a fuse box and then a few USB/cigarette outlets running off of that. What I'm not sure about is how to run the power wire for larger appliances like compressors and fridges. Do you do separate power wires or run a big wire to a distribution block then smaller ones from there? Does it even matter?
Is it bad to have 3-4 wires all hooked up to your positive terminal on the battery?

GQtdauto
27th December 2017, 08:13 PM
Big wire to distribution block (busbar) probably the correct way to go , I ran dual core heavy DC cable from spare batt under bonnet down along chassis rail and popping it through the rubber grommet just below where the jack lives in a GQ.
I then run it to an AGM in the back and to a fuse block in between, Have compressor and inverter hooked direct to this battery but power is connected to two auxiliaries plus start battery if volts are ok .
Mine is not perfect but works ok .

Bidja
28th December 2017, 12:06 AM
jp, you can run individual pairs for each of your two loads (eg: fridge and compressor) back to battery terminals this is good practice but easier to consider running a "big wire"as GQtdauto suggested: IMO, run a good sized pair of conductors say +ve and -ve of 10 mm2 DC cables (to minimise potential voltage drop), place inline fuse (+ve wire at battery), run the pair to distribution block near loads and then run say 2 x 6mm2 fused pairs (one pair for each load) or hook up to the distribution block by your preferred fused method. If routing wires outside of vehicle, maybe worth considering the use of an isolator switch in engine bay near battery just as a precaution, so to shut power off when not using these loads (your call as not essential).