PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own / owned a Waeco CoolPro 35ltr???

NissanGQ4.2
20th November 2017, 07:58 PM
As per the thread title has anyone owned or currently owns a Waeco CoolPro 35ltr if so, how long from switching it on does it take to cool????

Cheers Toddie

MB
20th November 2017, 10:57 PM
G’day Toddstar mate, unsure of that model and goods/temps you may require to cool. Only advice I can offer is that all fridges/freezers seem to appreciate a certain goods volume within to run more efficiently. Before departure and packing goods whilst waiting for my girls I can use contained ice blocks to get our rigs systems started! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/182.jpg $2 per 2L IGA brand rectangular juice bottles refilled and hard frozen can either stay onboard for water needs or remove once goods are ready to pack :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the evil twin
21st November 2017, 11:47 AM
We have two at work that are used on small boats as 'lunch boxes' for drinks, crib and lunch tucker.

I haven't used them personally so not sure how helpful the following is but...
The crews (2 man) like them however they tell me they only put pre-chilled fruit/drinks/tucker in them as it takes "ages to chill down bottled water".
They told me that if it is a hot day (mid 30's to 40's) then they don't handle it at all.
Given the boats tend to do most of the work from about 4 AM until 12ish that isn't usually an issue.

If they go north or know they will be out in the afternoon heat of a WA summer they use Engel 38's.
The Waeco's advantage is they are smaller and lighter and easy to swap between Tow Vehicle and Vessel
The disadvantages are power consumption and they only pull down about 20 ish degrees below ambient which is OK in an Aircon Cruiser tow vehicle or the cool of the morning in the boat cabin

NissanGQ4.2
21st November 2017, 06:32 PM
Thanks MB and The Evil Twin

The only reason I ask is I scored one of my neighbor for free, saw one sitting on top of one of his bins and finally caught up with him and asked if he was throwing it out not know what brand or model it was. He said he was indeed throwing it out so asked what was wrong with it, he said powers up, display lights change but had it running for 2 hrs and wasn't cooling the drinks down.

Grabbed it anyway to have a tinker with it and read some online reviews saying basically what u guys have said, so think it actually works for what it is "cooler"

Will throw some frozen bottle in it on the weekend and some beer and see how it goes.

Only really want it 2 throw cold food in for long drives, though it might be better than an esky full of ice

P.S: Welcome back ET

the evil twin
21st November 2017, 06:48 PM
snip...

Grabbed it anyway to have a tinker with it and read some online reviews saying basically what u guys have said, so think it actually works for what it is "cooler"

Will throw some frozen bottle in it on the weekend and some beer and see how it goes.

Only really want it 2 throw cold food in for long drives, though it might be better than an esky full of ice

Darn good find for $0 bucks mate.

You've pretty much nailed it on how to use them.
If you treat it as an Esky that uses Power instead of Ice to keep things cold then you should be happy.

As mentioned I haven't personally used the 35 but we have a couple of small ones (Peltier effect Cooler/Warmers) we use in our vehicles a fair bit when doing land based day work.
I think they are about 8 litres or so and are perfect for keeping a days worth of water and some fruit etc nicely chilled down.
I suspect the 35 might be a bit of a beast on power and one of ours shit itself on the 240 but works on 12.
The boys asked me to look at it but it wasn't worth fixing and they hardly ever use 240 anyway

NissanGQ4.2
21st November 2017, 07:26 PM
Darn good find for $0 bucks mate.

You've pretty much nailed it on how to use them.
If you treat it as an Esky that uses Power instead of Ice to keep things cold then you should be happy.

As mentioned I haven't personally used the 35 but we have a couple of small ones (Peltier effect Cooler/Warmers) we use in our vehicles a fair bit when doing land based day work.
I think they are about 8 litres or so and are perfect for keeping a days worth of water and some fruit etc nicely chilled down.
I suspect the 35 might be a bit of a beast on power and one of ours shit itself on the 240 but works on 12.
The boys asked me to look at it but it wasn't worth fixing and they hardly ever use 240 anyway

Yeh I usually do what MB does when packing the esky anyway freezing water bottles for drinking so limiting the amount of ice I need. Yeh read they suck the power but pretty much will only be using it if I am doing a weekend long drive trip and due 2 the patrol still being of the road I'm not camping it so will only be running when the shit box Corolla's motor is running anyway.

Could of given it a work out a few weekends ago when I done a 5hr drive each way 2 take the kids 2 Dubbo zoo. Gives me an excuse 2 pack the bags and go on another long drive..... not that I really need an excuse :)

NissanGQ4.2
25th November 2017, 10:07 AM
OK, just put in some ice packs and some meat 2 see how it goes and noticed there is a fan on the inside of the fridge as well and this isn't spinning the one on the opposite side is but on the outside of the fridge.

Would the inside fan switch on and off defending on temps inside the fridge? I assume this should be going flat stick at startup?

Thoughts

the evil twin
25th November 2017, 12:47 PM
The internal fan is not temp dependant and is switched via a lid micro and doesn't run with the lid open.

Opposite way around but you can test it the same way as you test to see if your house fridge light turns off when the door is shut:tease:

ROFL, sorry, couldn't resist... if you think it isn't working, mark a blade position or put something light near the fan and see if it moved when you re-open the fridge.

NissanGQ4.2
25th November 2017, 02:50 PM
The internal fan is not temp dependant and is switched via a lid micro and doesn't run with the lid open.

Opposite way around but you can test it the same way as you test to see if your house fridge light turns off when the door is shut:tease:

ROFL, sorry, couldn't resist... if you think it isn't working, mark a blade position or put something light near the fan and see if it moved when you re-open the fridge.

Thanks ET, didn't even think of the fan working like that.

Could see the fan spin down 2 a stop3 after lifting the lid so no need for your tricks but pointed me in the right direction thankyou.

Seems 2 be maintaining a temp of around 7-9 deg with only 4 ice bricks and nothing else in there and considering its sitting in my shed which is about 35-40 deg. I think once its full of cold stuff and a few ice bricks it will be fine for my intended use. And for a freebee I'm very happy with it :)

Thanks again ET and MB

Clunk
25th November 2017, 05:02 PM
Hey Todd, I also scored one of those for $0 a few years back. They do ok if used as you already stated. Stuff has still been nice n cold the next day when I've used it during weekends out.

I doubt if I'd ever buy a new one though [emoji3]

NissanGQ4.2
25th November 2017, 07:48 PM
Hey Todd, I also scored one of those for $0 a few years back. They do ok if used as you already stated. Stuff has still been nice n cold the next day when I've used it during weekends out.

I doubt if I'd ever buy a new one though [emoji3]

Yeh I wouldn't do out and buy one either, not for the coin they are asking.

Was actually also given a 3 way fridge a few months back by a friend, works great on 240V but didn't get a 12v lead or gas lead with it, she believed it no longer worked on 12v or gas but wasn't 100% certain. It was her parents and she passed it on 2 me when both her parents passed away :(

GQtdauto
25th November 2017, 08:29 PM
I'm sure you could get the gas going again , I remember selling them over 30 years ago not sure how old yours is though , pretty hungry on power but work really good on gas .

Clunk
25th November 2017, 09:17 PM
Should try and get a 12v lead for it. And if it doesn't work, then it shouldn't take to much to get it going........ Regarding gas, might just be a simple switch

NissanGQ4.2
26th November 2017, 08:08 AM
Should try and get a 12v lead for it. And if it doesn't work, then it shouldn't take to much to get it going........ Regarding gas, might just be a simple switch

Wouldn't even know where 2 start looking for leads

NissanGQ4.2
26th November 2017, 08:09 AM
I'm sure you could get the gas going again , I remember selling them over 30 years ago not sure how old yours is though , pretty hungry on power but work really good on gas .

I'd be happy if it only worked on gas, don't have the setup 2 run in full time while away on 12v

GQtdauto
26th November 2017, 09:17 AM
Combo of gas and 12 volt is ideal , run 12 volt till you get there then swap over to gas to save the batteries .

Take a photo of the 12 volt connection it might be a common plug or one that's easy to make up .

the evil twin
26th November 2017, 02:02 PM
That is a very old Chescold... sure says something for the quality when it is still working theses days.

Chesco, Electrolux and early Dometic were all the same/similar IIRC if you do need parts.

They use a lot of juice on 12V but they need the 12V option as Gas wont work when moving so you could only switch to Gas when stationary and level.
If you only want it for 240 no worries but it may be an idea to get it electrically tested after all the years

NissanGQ4.2
26th November 2017, 06:27 PM
Combo of gas and 12 volt is ideal , run 12 volt till you get there then swap over to gas to save the batteries .

Take a photo of the 12 volt connection it might be a common plug or one that's easy to make up .

Nah a 3 way would be awsome..... and that's what I keep telling the missus *L*, but she won't play :(

Pics of plug

That is a very old Chescold... sure says something for the quality when it is still working theses days.

Chesco, Electrolux and early Dometic were all the same/similar IIRC if you do need parts.

They use a lot of juice on 12V but they need the 12V option as Gas wont work when moving so you could only switch to Gas when stationary and level.
If you only want it for 240 no worries but it may be an idea to get it electrically tested after all the years

Yeh very old, tried looking that model up on google and got next 2 zip info on it :( I don't want it 4 the 240V at all just the 12v and gas, At this stage not having the GQ on the road and no solar panels / extra battery, I'd just be happy getting it 2 work on gas but understand it needs the 12v 2 keep it cool while traveling.

As for testing after all these years I removed the wires and stuck my tongue on them before flicking the switch on....... trip 2 hospital confirmed it still works fine *L*

Also took the cooler for a quick 30min drive today with 4 still cold but melted ice bricks and 1 frozen drink bottle, left it in a 35+ degree car for 4ish hrs turned off and drove 30 mins back home and got a reading of 1.5 degress..... not bad at all

Downside it won't fit in the boot so has 2 go between the 2 kids, which they where not 2 happy about

the evil twin
26th November 2017, 06:36 PM
The plug you need for the Chescold 12 Volt Lead should be a Britax B62A or equiv (you want the flush mount not the inline)

$18 or so https://www.caravansplus.com.au/b82-a-britax-2-pin-flush-mount-plug-socket-suit-chescold-fridges-p-1668.html

Yours is a very early one so centre pin looks different but I would replace both male and female plug anyway
Alternative would be to rrshole the Britax and put in an alternative

NissanGQ4.2
26th November 2017, 06:51 PM
The plug you need for the Chescold 12 Volt Lead should be a Britax B62A or equiv (you want the flush mount not the inline)

$18 or so https://www.caravansplus.com.au/b82-a-britax-2-pin-flush-mount-plug-socket-suit-chescold-fridges-p-1668.html

Yours is a very early one so centre pin looks different but I would replace both male and female plug anyway
Alternative would be to rrshole the Britax and put in an alternative

Thanks ET your a champ

GQtdauto
26th November 2017, 07:29 PM
Shouldn't be hard or expensive to retrofit another plug on it even an Anderson plug would do .