PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for buck tyres

BrodieTiGQ
23rd September 2017, 06:08 PM
So I've been looking into getting some new tyres , I called around today and got some quotes on some bf Goodrich km2 muddies and after a bit of research I've started to rethink them, only for price reasons as I don't really wanna spend 2k on tyres.. so I went into eBay and found some cooper Str pros for 1500 but that's for four not five like I was quoted with the bfg , so I've had bfg before and I really like them there a great tyre but I've never owned a set of coopers but I've always heard good things.. so what should I buy? Best bang for buck tyre? I don't want something I'm gunna have to replace in 20'000kms or something where the side wall fails .. what's everyone got and why? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/3.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrodieTiGQ
23rd September 2017, 06:19 PM
Sorry everyone! I didn't realise I posted this in auto electrical 😅

MB
23rd September 2017, 06:30 PM
G'day Brodie mate!
I really dislike bad mouthing companies products but feel it necessary to share my hopefully one off past experience with the ST's.
Decided about 10 years ago that I'd been too brand loyal to BFG with their KM1 series so gave the ST's a trial on my old GU leafy ute. Within 30,000ks they were dangerous having heavily worn out with sidewall and tread bubbles etc.. So much so I was given an agreed credit of 5/8th left on my 80,000km guarantee towards a new set. Sold the credit to a bloke who wanted and put it back again towards KM2's just new in I believe.
It was believed to be a bad batch with a 'D' code stamped on them as best remember/told. Not saying this would ever happen again but I've never strayed since

AB
23rd September 2017, 06:35 PM
All good mate, moved it to tyre thread.

I'm sure Coopers are fine now, never owned them personally but I know someone who got very very little km's out of them but have heard others getting a good 80k in recent years.

Personally, I have gone down the budget path in the past with Federals etc and the poor man pays twice so to speak. I honestly reckon I got max 20k out of the Couragia. That was a few years ago now.

I'm a KM1-2 fan myself, sure you pay but they last and are a good all rounder for on-road/off set up.

AB
23rd September 2017, 06:37 PM
but I know someone who got very very little km's out of them Annnnnnd ^^^^ that is that someone....lol

GQtdauto
23rd September 2017, 06:39 PM
G'day Brodie mate!
I really dislike bad mouthing companies products but feel it necessary to share my hopefully one off past experience with the ST's.
Decided about 10 years ago that I'd been too brand loyal to BFG with their KM1 series so gave the ST's a trial on my old GU leafy ute. Within 30,000ks they were dangerous having heavily worn out with sidewall and tread bubbles etc.. So much so I was given an agreed credit of 5/8th left on my 80,000km guarantee towards a new set. Sold the credit to a bloke who wanted and put it back again towards KM2's just new in I believe.
It was believed to be a bad batch with a 'D' code stamped on them as best remember/told. Not saying this would ever happen again but I've never strayed since

I think that brand has stretched the truth a bit much in its advertising , I'm sure they had trouble with delamination and the last lot I looked at a while ago had the worst speed rating .

I'm sure if you ask around plenty of people with coopers get punctures unlike the claims , maaxis make good tyres but it's the Bfg for mine .

MB
23rd September 2017, 06:48 PM
If I could also add that us Aussie's like the rest of the world are becoming time poor! Last thing I personally need is for a tyre to let me down whilst enjoying the outdoors for a short needed while :-) I'll pay extra for that insurance;-)

GQtdauto
23rd September 2017, 07:09 PM
When I got mine I paid an extra $15 bucks to insure each tyre which was just as well because less than a month later I staked a side wall with a tree branch , also get flats fixed for free .

Bush Ranger
23rd September 2017, 07:24 PM
I priced some tyres a few months back and was told by one mob that BFG`s aren`t as good as they use to be and thought it was funny, as that was the brand they weren`t selling. I`ve never had a problem with them and a brother who has had a couple of Coopers on his wagon, says they`re not too bad and has thought of going back to BFG.

jay see
23rd September 2017, 07:25 PM
I called around today and got some quotes on some bf Goodrich km2 muddies and after a bit of research I've started to rethink them, only for price reasons as I don't really wanna spend 2k on tyres.. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/3.png

Keep calling around mate.

I got 5 305s km2s on roh rims for 2250. I can't remember who, but pretty sure someone on here paid $300 each.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

AB
23rd September 2017, 07:27 PM
Actually Leah has done a good 50k on her Maxxis AT on her Nav and still a good 20k left. I do reckon the KM1's were better then the KM2's though!

Bush Ranger
23rd September 2017, 07:31 PM
Actually Leah has done a good 50k on her Maxxis AT on her Nav and still a good 20k left. I do reckon the KM1's were better then the KM2's though!

I heard that the rubber on the km2 are softer and never checked to see how true the story was.

BrodieTiGQ
23rd September 2017, 07:32 PM
So no one has had a good experience with cooper tyres?

AB
23rd September 2017, 07:34 PM
I heard that the rubber on the km2 are softer and never checked to see how true the story was.

It is possible, just watching Rosscos km1's and my 2's are going down as we do similar Km's is interesting.

BrodieTiGQ
23rd September 2017, 07:37 PM
So I just can't spend 2k ATM on tyres. I'm on a set budget and need a few other things as well , but I also don't wanna waste my money either I was quoted $1995 for 5 km2 bfg or these? If I go bfg just means I'll have to sacrifice the rear drawers I wanted which ide like to get for our end of year Victoria trip

Winnie
23rd September 2017, 07:37 PM
It is possible, just watching Rosscos km1's and my 2's are going down as we do similar Km's is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMy KM2s have worn very quickly, they've been a great offroad tyre but I'm not happy with how long they have lasted.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bush Ranger
23rd September 2017, 07:38 PM
AB I bought my km2s when the wagon had done around 187 000 Ks and I have done 237 000 so far. They look a bit beyond 60 percent.

gubigfish
23rd September 2017, 07:52 PM
Call around on the BFG tyres I recently bought 3 of the AT KO2 and had about a $40 difference per tyre in price, it was Tyres and More that got my business not sure if they're are over east.

MB
23rd September 2017, 07:52 PM
My KM2s have worn very quickly, they've been a great offroad tyre but I'm not happy with how long they have lasted. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
KM2's Winnie mate IMHO agreed definitely wear to 50% so much faster than the KM1's. Performance wise the KM2's grip rocks & release crud so much better than KM1's. I personally believe that BFG might have also woken up their thinking that 100,000k + I used to experience was not financially viable? Watching Mrs MB's little paddock/school mountain run 33's with interest appears that they've slowed wear at 50% ;-) Maybe it makes us re-buy fresh lugs more frequently:-)

GQtdauto
23rd September 2017, 08:01 PM
So I just can't spend 2k ATM on tyres. I'm on a set budget and need a few other things as well , but I also don't wanna waste my money either I was quoted $1995 for 5 km2 bfg or these? If I go bfg just means I'll have to sacrifice the rear drawers I wanted which ide like to get for our end of year Victoria trip

You can try fleabay and gumtree etc but be careful of old rubber no matter how much tread is on them , Patrola part may have good tyres so check the wreckers , but other than that it's go the cheapys and the draws and hope they don't wear too quick .

AB
23rd September 2017, 08:07 PM
Brodie, get good tyres. Stuff the drawers mate, drawers are a luxury not a necessity.

MB
23rd September 2017, 08:24 PM
In fact, we here are not too far off ripping out the family wagons daily elcheapo 80+kg draws. Hoping to do a little family touring trip with smartly allocated boxes instead of heavy draws for GVM savings. Tyres, Suspension and Donk/Drivetrain will be I hope what gets us there :-)

BrodieTiGQ
23rd September 2017, 08:36 PM
What other brand tyres would you guys recommend?

MB
23rd September 2017, 08:39 PM
Work GU utes on the highway have done very well with MAXXI's I think they're called :-)

MudRunnerTD
23rd September 2017, 08:41 PM
I had a Cooper fully delaminate with the family in the car towing the camper at 100kmh. Cooper didn't want to know about it. They offered me a hat. Never forgotten never forgiven. Scratch the surface and you will find PLENTY of negative reviews.

That price make a them $250 a tyre which is cheap as chip but my Hate for Cooper could b or see me buy them.

I have KM2s with 40k on them and still looking great. I paid $1500 for 5 fitted to my rims from Hunters Element.they have an eBay store

Rossco
23rd September 2017, 08:45 PM
Got a set of the cooper stt pros on a work truck and have to say they look like a very good tyre and so far seem to be wareing fairly well although had the cooper stt's that were reasonable got about 50k out of them. Also had the st's before that and I've never had so many punctures ever in tyres they were ridiculous. But slowly winning back confidence in the coopers although am still a devout BFG fan boy i think. Interestingly i think the stt pros look like a bit of a reaction to the popularity of KM2s even the font looks similar. .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Plasnart
23rd September 2017, 08:49 PM
Never had coopers but would never buy them from the countless horror stories ive heard over the years. That many first hand complaints cant be wrong, no matter what coopers advertising says (imo). Very happy with my mickey thompsons but will look around when theyre next due. Not at coopers tho for me.

Clunk
23rd September 2017, 08:52 PM
I've never had muddies but have had experience with BFG KOs and to be honest I didnt rate them on a wet road, too hard a compound and too slippery. I next had Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZs, softer compound, wore faster but not stupidly fast, grip was so much better.
My current ride is fitted with Dick Cepek FCIIs, again a softer compound, better in the wet than the BFGs but not quite as good as the Mickeys.

A mate of mine uses Toyo Open Country MTs and loves them, will not use anything else.

My old man uses Yokohama Geolander ATS, again will not use anything else.

What I'm getting at I guess is, it's all down to personal preference.

I know I prefer to have a softer compound with better wet road capabilities than a harder longer wearing tyre that's shit on wet roads. After all, its where most of my driving is done to be honest.

Just dont waste your money buying a cheap brand. As far as a drawer system goes, don't really see the point, not had one in 7 years and probably won't get one either, just extra weight to carry. My stuff goes in storage boxes, that I can remove when not needed.

BrodieTiGQ
23rd September 2017, 09:33 PM
I've never had muddies but have had experience with BFG KOs and to be honest I didnt rate them on a wet road, too hard a compound and too slippery. I next had Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZs, softer compound, wore faster but not stupidly fast, grip was so much better.
My current ride is fitted with Dick Cepek FCIIs, again a softer compound, better in the wet than the BFGs but not quite as good as the Mickeys.

A mate of mine uses Toyo Open Country MTs and loves them, will not use anything else.

My old man uses Yokohama Geolander ATS, again will not use anything else.

What I'm getting at I guess is, it's all down to personal preference.

I know I prefer to have a softer compound with better wet road capabilities than a harder longer wearing tyre that's shit on wet roads. After all, its where most of my driving is done to be honest.

Just dont waste your money buying a cheap brand. As far as a drawer system goes, don't really see the point, not had one in 7 years and probably won't get one either, just extra weight to carry. My stuff goes in storage boxes, that I can remove when not needed.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/4.pnghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/5.png

I done a bit more looking on eBay and found these! Was after a 35" but I'm happy with 33" still

MB
23rd September 2017, 09:36 PM
Whoops, almost forgot mate!
Never run cast rims, steelies all the way and sledgehammer cheap as Dynamic chips ;-)

BrodieTiGQ
23rd September 2017, 09:56 PM
Whoops, almost forgot mate!
Never run cast rims, steelies all the way and sledgehammer cheap as Dynamic chips ;-)

Yep, I'm going from the tri spoke factory alloys to a set of -22 15" steel rims, they were on the the doner car I recently bought to diesel swap

MudRunnerTD
23rd September 2017, 10:30 PM
Try here mate.

http://www.huntsmanproducts.com.au/bfgoodrich-33x10-5r15l-t-km2-mud-tyre.html

Rossco
24th September 2017, 05:58 AM
Try here mate.

http://www.huntsmanproducts.com.au/bfgoodrich-33x10-5r15l-t-km2-mud-tyre.htmlI bought all my gear for my jayco upgrade from these guys. They were great to deal with and price was really good too. .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Maxhead
24th September 2017, 06:24 AM
Also have a look at Tempe tyres on eBay or their website. Great prices and free delivery.

Just got 4 x KM2s from them for 259 each.
Slightly smaller tho.

Check them out

................on the road

Bush Ranger
24th September 2017, 08:22 AM

Have you thought of buying one tyre at a time over a period of time? Might be one way of getting what you want.

bazzaboy
24th September 2017, 08:26 AM
I've always run BFG's and never had a problem with them but they are expensive. Usually get about 80thou out of them. My son swears by Federals and gets good life and performance from them. Less expensive too.

garett
24th September 2017, 09:58 AM
i'm running km2's on the ol gq. had Yokohama geolander's on it when i got it, they were 10 year old and i could drift at idle in 3rd on wet bitumen scared the crap out of everyone. km2's so far got 40 -50 000 kms on em still got plenty of tread. got 5 for 1500 locally 33 10.5 r 15s

Mike02Ti
24th September 2017, 06:00 PM
I got some Nitto Trail Grapplers put on about a month ago, maybe a bit longer. Great tyre so far. Handles great for a mud tyre in the wet or dry. Works well on beach or trails. They arent very noisy either.
Its a 10 ply tyre too unlike the BFGs from memory. So less likely to puncture or stake a sidewall.
They are also a true sized tyre. So 33 is actually 33 unlike other brands.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

BSRT.Beast
24th September 2017, 06:38 PM
By far imo Toyo Open Country are one of the best bang for buck tyre and if you shop around you can get some fantastic deals.
If I was on a budget of under 300 a tyre I'd be looking at Hankook or Maxxis

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BrodieTiGQ
27th September 2017, 10:42 PM
I ended up getting 4 33" bfg km2 muddies from jax tyres for 1450 fitted and balanced , that's pretty good I thought...

VK2FMIA
28th September 2017, 07:59 AM

Will never buy Cooper again. Had a rock punch through the tread on a near new tyre. Not even a 4wd track, just a dirt road, I was following an Audi A4 at the time for christs sake. Cooper didn`t want a bar of it & I had to replace it as I`d just put a full set on. Could have put it down to bad luck but when it happened a second time not long after I thought thats it & replaced the lot. At $400 a tyre I was not impressed. The other 3 are still in my shed with 80% tread on them.

Went to Mickey Thomson STZ`s & haven`t had a problem since.

MB
19th November 2017, 08:07 PM
Gave the ute a wash today finally after last dusty rocky mountain adventures. Pictures down the passenger side below found why I entrust in BFG and Steel rims together! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/171.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/172.jpg Flash looking Alloy rims and I’d still be up there waiting for a second spare to be delivered:-(

PeeBee
19th November 2017, 08:13 PM
That first image is a shocker. Do you think you did that on your howling dog mountain crusade and just have not noticed it?

MudRunnerTD
19th November 2017, 08:14 PM
Will never buy Cooper again. Had a rock punch through the tread on a near new tyre. Not even a 4wd track, just a dirt road, I was following an Audi A4 at the time for christs sake. Cooper didn`t want a bar of it & I had to replace it as I`d just put a full set on. Could have put it down to bad luck but when it happened a second time not long after I thought thats it & replaced the lot. At $400 a tyre I was not impressed. The other 3 are still in my shed with 80% tread on them.

Went to Mickey Thomson STZ`s & haven`t had a problem since.

Yes years ago I fitted a brand new set of 315/75r16 Cooper ST tyres and first trio out I punctured the side wall. I was spewing at $400 A corner. I stripped the tyre off at camp and patched the bloody thing then put a Simex Tube in and never thougfht about it again.

I will never buy Cooper Tyres again.

GQtdauto
19th November 2017, 08:20 PM
And that's why I won't have alloy wheels on the fourby MB , metal you can bash back into position.
Given how low we run our tyre pressures I'm amazed there aren't more rooted alloy rims out there .
VK2FMIA if you want I'll give you a great deal on a brand new cooper tyre ,fell off the back of a truck .

GQtdauto
19th November 2017, 08:23 PM
Gave the ute a wash today finally after last dusty rocky mountain adventures. Pictures down the passenger side below found why I entrust in BFG and Steel rims together! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/171.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/172.jpg Flash looking Alloy rims and I’d still be up there waiting for a second spare to be delivered:-(

Makes me wonder if in the ads for cooper tyres where they say they've travelled 50 million miles without one puncture that maybe that's correct technically and they haven't had just one puncture but dozens of them .

MB
19th November 2017, 08:46 PM
Many years ago on one of my earlier past life FJ’s, had some flash teenage cool alloys. Must have rock clipped them up around Wonnagatta trekking. Roughly a week later daily driving for work a 1/5th size chunk of rim blew out on the rear drivers and shot across the oncoming lane and thankfully stopped before hitting kids in the school bus stop. Steelies are the only way to go IMHO no matter how extreme ones adventures planned are! In theory even clipping a streets concrete curb could do the exact same to any alloy rim :-(

VK2FMIA
19th November 2017, 08:51 PM
And that's why I won't have alloy wheels on the fourby MB , metal you can bash back into position.
Given how low we run our tyre pressures I'm amazed there aren't more rooted alloy rims out there .
VK2FMIA if you want I'll give you a great deal on a brand new cooper tyre ,fell off the back of a truck .
Yeah send it up. Mate wants some tyres to put in his farm dam for the crayfish to breed in. About all there good for.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.

Cuppa
19th November 2017, 08:55 PM

A friend had Coopers on their Honda AWD SUV. Not sure id ST's or another model.

Each of the 4 tyres failed long before they wore out. Sidewall bubbles & tread delaminating.

Having witnessed his experience I simply wouldn't risk Coopers myself. One tyre going bad is bad luck. All four left a pretty bad taste.

If you are also considering AT's I reckon the Bridgestone D697's are pretty good.

MB
20th November 2017, 08:31 PM
FWIW, $10 cash on the way through Lilydale today only taking the great bloke all of 10 minutes tops and saved me a tyre plier home shed muck around. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/181.jpg Top bloke even squirted some black paint on it, ready for Lygon Street again :-)

MB
20th November 2017, 08:57 PM
Disclaimer: Best to buy a Dynamic Steel fresh rim for road use @ $109.99 !