PDA

View Full Version : How to get a UHF Antenna through firewall.

franadrian
16th September 2017, 09:50 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to Patrols. I couldn't be happier to having bought such a great car. I got one of the last of this machines, a 2016 Y61 (legend edition). As my first DIY I'm installing a Crystal UHF radio with remote unit. I have a place to mount the head unit inside the cabin and I have a good idea of how to connect it to power (using a fuse tap in the cig lighter fuse slot in the fuse box). My issue now is how to get the UHF antenna cable across from the boot through the firewall into the cabin. Any ideas on how to locate a visible grommet in the firewall to use?

Thanks so much for your support.

R

threedogs
17th September 2017, 04:46 PM
Hi mate and welcome to the forum first Id post an intrduction but no harm done thats why no one has answered you .
there are two large rubber grommets either side of the fire wall, tape your antenna wire to a straightened coat hanger and push it through should be easy enough after that

Yeti's Beast
20th September 2017, 12:56 AM
Hi mate and welcome to the forum first Id post an intrduction but no harm done thats why no one has answered you .
there are two large rubber grommets either side of the fire wall, tape your antenna wire to a straightened coat hanger and push it through should be easy enough after that

Ditto
My new fav tool for doing that is the backing off an old wiper blade. It's stainless steel, strong and I ran out of spare coat hangers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rossco
20th September 2017, 06:39 AM
Hey mate just a word of warning recently had a work car in (new dmax) for a warranty cos the cruise control didn't work. A week later they tracked the problem down, whoever put in the dealer fitted bull bar with fog lights pushed the wiring through with something sharp and buggered the loom. Can use a cost hanger but be careful, I found brush cutter cord works awesome and isn't going to damage anything. Could use outer cable off a pushbike or similar would be pretty good too i would imagine. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Bacho86
20th September 2017, 07:51 AM
Hey mate just a word of warning recently had a work car in (new dmax) for a warranty cos the cruise control didn't work. A week later they tracked the problem down, whoever put in the dealer fitted bull bar with fog lights pushed the wiring through with something sharp and buggered the loom. Can use a cost hanger but be careful, I found brush cutter cord works awesome and isn't going to damage anything. Could use outer cable off a pushbike or similar would be pretty good too i would imagine. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Great suggestion rossco, I've also felt a lot of trepidation when pushing the sharp end of a coat hanger blindly through the grommet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzaboy
20th September 2017, 10:18 AM
You never push the sharp end of anything through that grommet. I always bend-over the end of a coat hanger before pushing it through. You never know what you may stab & damage.