PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Duramax $16 grand ?

GQtdauto
13th September 2017, 09:24 PM
This guy is selling a brand new Duramax motor and box and loom etc for $16000 , only question I have is it's a bloody manual so how hard to convert to an auto .
Motor is from one of the first models they brought out he is unsure of exact date of manufacture or model but came from a brand new showroom car that was hail damaged and written off .
Imported into OZ he thinks around 2010 .

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1158628710

mudnut
13th September 2017, 09:54 PM
How long has it been sitting around? I was advised by a mechanic that older autos can be prone to components failing after sitting for extended periods. I don't know if that is true for later autos though.

GQtdauto
13th September 2017, 10:16 PM
It's got a manual box in it at the moment , I believe it's been sitting for at least 7 years so I'm going to pass this one up , by the time I convert it to auto and the fact the motor would probably need a pull down and seals etc replaced it's just not worth it although he was negotiable on price .
Bugger was he is only about 20 kilometres from Glenrowan so friggin close , but would be a good pickup for someone wanting a manual Duramax .

mudnut
13th September 2017, 11:03 PM
Tail between legs, misread your post, sorry.

GQtdauto
13th September 2017, 11:32 PM
Without knowing year it was made you could be buying trouble or an absolute bargain .
Vin2 or vinD are the among the better motors from my research which from bad memory are LLY and LBZ I think .

mudnut
14th September 2017, 09:47 AM
Over heating, water pump, injector failure, injector loom rubbing through and the and the fuel filter housing failure. Glow plug timing failure, where the tip overheats and drops into the bore, which causes bad stuff to happen. If fitted with a turbo, oil ingestion via the PCV causes problems. So the year of manufacture is critical.

The Allison 1000 auto can be sent into limp mode under high torque situations too.

2011 emission system failure. More reading at this site. http://www.duramaxhub.com/duramax-problems.html

mudski
14th September 2017, 09:56 AM
How is that new? Just looks like a low K motor. The intake hose looks like its had a gob full off dust too. Going by that pic...

PeeBee
14th September 2017, 09:58 AM
It looks like its been in storage, possibly sitting on the rack its on in a shed open to the environs.

mudski
14th September 2017, 10:04 AM
Yeah maybe. But coated dust inside the intake hose doesn't sit right with me though. Dust settles down, like what you can see on top of the intake hose, not up, in and around. Again, it just could be that pic. It maybe clean...

mudnut
14th September 2017, 10:11 AM
The main problem with a multi-cylinder engine, is that there is always going to be a cylinder or two with a valve open. If he hasn't blocked the intake and exhaust, then there is a chance of moisture ingress. If stored properly, the oil should have been changed too.

GQtdauto
14th September 2017, 11:16 AM
From talking to the guy he bought it from eagle imports and was going to have it fitted to a toyoda, it's been in his shed for 5 years but is uncertain of actual model .
As I've said motor was removed from a showroom hail damaged car that was written off , I do believe if it's the LBZ it would be a great buy but would need pulling apart and everything checked to be 100% satisfied all was ok , Duramax had some problems with the earlier models and some of them wouldn't be worth gambling with .
If I could be buggered I'd nick out and check the Vin no on motor to confirm year of manufacture, it's certainly cheap especially if it is a new motor .