PDA

View Full Version : This concerns us all

patch697
16th July 2010, 01:00 AM
I received this in an email from the Australian 4WD action mag team & I would strongly recommend to all to at least read the article cos it concerns all us 4W Drivers.

It's is time for us to band together once more as Australian 4WDers. Yep, that nasty bit of work that was born from a slow news day back in 2009 has reared its ugly head once more. VSI-50 has come back for another dig at our collective lifestyle, and we need to stand up and be counted, just like we did back in '09.

So what can we do? How can we make a difference? We recently took the time to chat with the NSW Shadow Minister for Roads, Mr Andrew Stoner, and we quizzed Mr Stoner on his party's stance on VSI-50. "The Liberals and Nationals are against VSI-50 and I continue to call on the state Labour government to rule out introducing VSI-50 or anything similar in the future."

Mr Stoner went on to say that he had taken the liberty of starting a website to show the Opposition's position on VSI-50, and within that website there is a petition we can all sign to send a clear message to the government that we will not be railroaded into such an ill-conceived piece of would-be legislation: www.nothoons.com.au

So come on guys, jump on the website and register your disapproval by signing Mr Stoner's petition. It's a small thing that could go a long way to showing this government once and for all that we will not take this discriminative, narrow-minded piece of rubbish legislation lying down!

This again is a time we need to band together and collectively stop the government from labelling us as hoons and destroying our lifestyle.

So what do you think?

Cheer
Paul

Minx
16th July 2010, 10:16 AM
Just a thought though Paul.

Should we sign up and add that we live in NSW?

If we all sign the petition and mark the postcode as victoria, WA, SA TAS etc then wont they just be disregarded?

I know its cheating the system but should we do that or not?

CoR
16th July 2010, 10:26 AM

If we all sign the petition and mark the postcode as victoria, WA, SA TAS etc then wont they just be disregarded?

What he said ^^

DX grunt
16th July 2010, 10:28 AM

Reading between the lines. ... the names on the left hand side of the screen have a number beside them. I'm 'assuming' it's peoples' postcodes, which would indicate what town/state they're from coz in the mandatory stuff u have to fill out includes yr postcode. Optional is address.

Ross

Danny
16th July 2010, 10:33 AM
Reading between the lines. ... the names on the left hand side of the screen have a number beside them. I'm 'assuming' it's peoples' postcodes, which would indicate what town/state they're from coz in the mandatory stuff u have to fill out includes yr postcode. Optional is address.

Ross

Do you reckon we should use NSW postcodes or just our own?

DX grunt
16th July 2010, 10:38 AM
Do you reckon we should use NSW postcodes or just our own?

Your call. Assuming the numbers are postcodes, starting with the number 2 are NSW, 3 are Vic, 6 are WA. I can't tell u to lie. LOL. There are lots of ppl putting their own states down.
Hyperthetically, if you take yr truck to NSW, will it get a yellow? I can't answer that? Food for thought.

patch697
16th July 2010, 10:39 AM

Good point & in regards to petition voters outside of NSW? Its open for all concerned therefore anyone can participate.

While your considering why should you or shouldn't you support this as like you said your not from NSW consider this:

If thay get this through in one state how long do you think it will take to become Australia wide?

Just something to think about.

cheers
Paul

patch697
16th July 2010, 10:55 AM
I would be interested to hear more on your thoughts Ross as this is something in your aria of expertise given your back ground it road safety.

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
16th July 2010, 11:36 AM
I would be interested to hear more on your thoughts Ross as this is something in your aria of expertise given your back ground it road safety.

Cheers
Paul

Wow, what a 'non clear cut' question Paul !!!

I respect everybody's decision to make their choice of how they set up their truck and I will never tell anybody they've made a bad choice, unless it's dangerous.

I also admire and respect the amount of money, time and committment to modding up a truck.

Personally, I'm happy to drive around with my 2" lift and stock tyres (cheesecutters). That's my style of driving - mainly highway driving with a bit of 4x4 camping thrown in. My pod on the back is also used as a great covered in trailer. Other 4wd owners choose to wheel through mudpits, climb rocks ect - that's their style of driving and I respect that.

At the end of the day, it boils down to government regulations and the fine print in your comprehensive vehicle insurance policy. Do the government talk to the insurance companies and vehicle manufacturers independantly and/or at the same time for a solution? I don't know. All I know is that lots of people don't read the fine print - and many get caught out.

I believe that most of Australia is trying to get a 'common' set of rules and regulations, coz at the moment, what's legal in one state, may not be legal in another. Heavy vehicle fatigue management is a good example. In summer, Vic and NSW are 3hrs ahead of WA, coz of EDST - Enough on that!

It would be interesting to find out what vehicle manufacturers have to say about modding their vehicles up to a 4 or 5 inch lift - in writing!

To be honest, I'm neutral on this subject and have to do more homework on this before I consider signing up. My style of driving doesn't require any mods apart from a 2" lift, but I respect the driving style of others.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

patch697
16th July 2010, 12:26 PM
Wow, what a 'non clear cut' question Paul !!!

Sorry Ross I wasn't trying to put you on the spot mate....

The reason I asked for your input was in regards to the focus on the "road safety aspect" of subject

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
16th July 2010, 12:49 PM
Sorry Ross I wasn't trying to put you on the spot mate....

The reason I asked for your input was in regards to the focus on the "road safety aspect" of subject

Cheers
Paul

Nah that's fine. One must look at vehicle dynamics ect as well. I guess it's a bit like loading a roof rack. What is a safe working load on top? Cross winds, ect

At the end of the day, if you go outside the manufacturer's specifications/instructions..... please explain.

Sorry, but can't make it simpler than that.

Govt's/people need to really get the manufacturers rulings on what is 'safe' and what isn't for their vehicles.

Then there's the issue of genuine/non genuine parts, best practice..................and the list goes on.

I'm happy to answer as best I can. I'm not an expert, but will do research if people want it.

Take care out there.

Ross

DX grunt
16th July 2010, 09:45 PM
Hmm, this seems to be a never ending debate about nothing new. It is alrady illegal in Vic to raise or lower original suspension travel by more than a third. It is in VicRoads Guidelines to Modifications and is freely available on their website. Those of us with 4" lifts will already be exceeding the maximum legal lift. So I'm not sure why there's so much hoo-haa about this issue. It's already the law here and there's no public outcry about it, we just live with it. Here's the scenario: VSI50 becomes law (like it already is here in Vic), you ignore it and chuck in a 4" lift (as people do), you get a canary (which happens all the time for suspension issues), you return to stock (for the roadworthy), you pass the roadworthy and chuck the 4" back under it and away you go. This has been happening for yonks so IMHO the hysteria over vsi50 is misplaced.

I've heard over here in the West that if it goes over the pits too many times, they look seriously at delicensing yr vehicle. Don't quote me on it, but that's what I heard many years ago.

red92gq
16th July 2010, 11:15 PM
Happy to sign last time an will sign up again this time,
Ive got 2 lifted cars an 2 lowered cars an i want to be able to drive them just the way they are.
As previously stated if it gets in in one state whats stopping them from pushing it australia wide .

heyhey_guess_who
17th July 2010, 07:47 PM
Some people are not helping the cause. I read through some of the names and their is a Dirty Sanchez 2300. Funny when appropriate, but not on this.

AB
17th July 2010, 07:58 PM
Some people are not helping the cause. I read through some of the names and their is a Dirty Sanchez 2300. Funny when appropriate, but not on this.

Yeah thats why they the postcode is mandatory and the full name.

They do cross reference these things and work out the true sign up's versus dodgy ones.

I think regardless of where you live just use your own postcode.