PDA

View Full Version : Indicator fuse blowing?????

Burden
2nd May 2011, 09:17 PM
Hey guys,

Im having an issue with my indicator fuse blowing intimidatingly. I thought id solved the problem with fixing a little bit of exposed wire on one of the front indicator leads. Turns out today the fuse blew again. Thing is it takes a bit of driving around before it blows (10 min of normal street driving). In the last week i think ive gone through 10 - 10 amp fuses. Ive visually checked the wiring and cant see any thing obvious wrong with it. I haven't had a trailer on it at all. And it doesn't seem to only be blowing when indicating on one side.

I have a 1996 GQ TD42 LWB

Strange and its got me stumped....Any ideas or anybody had similar issues?

Bigrig
2nd May 2011, 09:20 PM
Hey guys,

Im having an issue with my indicator fuse blowing intimidatingly. I thought id solved the problem with fixing a little bit of exposed wire on one of the front indicator leads. Turns out today the fuse blew again. Thing is it takes a bit of driving around before it blows (10 min of normal street driving). In the last week i think ive gone through 10 - 10 amp fuses. Ive visually checked the wiring and cant see any thing obvious wrong with it. I haven't had a trailer on it at all. And it doesn't seem to only be blowing when indicating on one side.

I have a 1996 GQ TD42 LWB

Strange and its got me stumped....Any ideas or anybody had similar issues?

To quote Mr Squiggle "that's a tough one Miss Jane"!! lol

You would think it's overloading somehow or losing earth completely ... Yendor might be the man for this one!!

YNOT
2nd May 2011, 09:20 PM
Check the wiring to the trailer plug, common for the wiring to short out.

Tony

big_fletch
2nd May 2011, 09:24 PM
If you have a trailer plug I would pull it apart and make sure the wires haven't come loose or broken and are touching inside..
That would the first thing I would check, get that in work a fair bit lol

Yendor
2nd May 2011, 09:48 PM
I would have to agree with the above posts, most common cause would have to be the trailer plug.

Pull the trailer plug apart and check the wiring at the back, especially the yellow and green wires.

Also have a good look at the harness itself make sure it is not sitting on or near the exhaust or is not rubbing on the body anywhere.

Do all the indicators work?.

Have you installed anything recently or done any work on the vehicle? any body damage?

Do you have a bull bar with indicator lights fitted? if so have a good look at this wiring, follow it from the lights all the way back to where it connects into the vehicles original wiring.

If you can narrow it down to a side that the fuse blows on this will make it so much easier to find.

When checking the harness you can turn the hazard lights on and slowly move the harness about and see if you can get the fuse to blow (this may help you narrow it down), please note this will cause a different fuse to blow (hazard fuse).

Hope this helps

the ferret
2nd May 2011, 10:16 PM
It could even be a blown globe, sometimes the fillament can break and drop down inside the globe and cause a short!, but yeah, check the trailer plug, M and F. as others have said.

Burden
2nd May 2011, 10:32 PM
Yep nothing wrong with globes - ill check the trailer plug wiring tomorrow. Hope that comes up with something. I do have the bull bar indicators - i think ill disconnect them too and see if that makes any difference.