PDA

View Full Version : Hams

Avo
4th August 2017, 12:55 PM
has anyone here made their own ham,i am going to give it a go and just want to know if anyone has tried it before

Clunk
4th August 2017, 02:10 PM
Is that a Patrol shaped ham? ;)

Touses
4th August 2017, 02:46 PM
Is that a Patrol shaped ham? ;)

C'mon, you're just hamming it up now!:rolleyes:

TPC
4th August 2017, 02:49 PM

Clunk
4th August 2017, 03:37 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/26.jpg

Cuppa
4th August 2017, 03:56 PM
Had our own hams done in the past, but did it the easy way & had a local butcher collect our pigs from the abbatoir. The result was the best hams we've ever eaten. None of this wet slimy stuff they sell sliced in shops!

Maxhead
4th August 2017, 05:05 PM
I havent done a ham but know an easy way to figure the salt content for your brine. "The potato" method...lol
In a container big enough for your meat chuck in water and a potato. Potato will sink, add salt and stir till the potato starts floating.
This will give you an optimum brine for curing meat.
Ive done with beef and it lasts for a frigging long time

...........on the road

Avo
4th August 2017, 05:24 PM
yeah ok,i got given the curing salt form the local butcher,it says 170grm to 50 lt of water...
i have to decide what other herbs n shit to put in it

Maxhead
4th August 2017, 05:45 PM
yeah ok,i got given the curing salt form the local butcher,it says 170grm to 50 lt of water...
As you may already know there is curing salt #1 and #2.
1 is for short cures of meat and needs to bee eaten faily quickly

2 is for dry sausage/salami type of cure which hangs for weeks to months.

Years ago we used saltpetre but it was discontinued i belive in Australia. Used to burn like a volcano....used to love this shit as kids

...........on the road

Maxhead
4th August 2017, 05:59 PM
Ohh forgot, curing salt is on top of normal salt

...........on the road

UncleFrosty
4th August 2017, 07:26 PM
Years ago we used saltpetre but it was discontinued i belive in Australia. Used to burn like a volcano....used to love this shit as kids

Probably has something to do with FunNazis and the following:

"Potassium nitrate is one of several nitrogen-containing compounds collectively referred to as saltpeter or saltpetre. Major uses of potassium nitrate are in fertilizers, tree stump removal, rocket propellants and fireworks."

Avo
4th August 2017, 07:37 PM
Ohh forgot, curing salt is on top of normal salt

...........on the road

so do i fill a bucket with normal salt till spud floats...then add the amount of curing salt???

Avo
4th August 2017, 07:50 PM
Probably has something to do with FunNazis and the following:

"Potassium nitrate is one of several nitrogen-containing compounds collectively referred to as saltpeter or saltpetre. Major uses of potassium nitrate are in fertilizers, tree stump removal, rocket propellants and fireworks."

ah OK,might have to look into this,as i may know a guy who knows a guy that read it in a book where he can find some

Maxhead
4th August 2017, 07:56 PM
so do i fill a bucket with normal salt till spud floats...then add the amount of curing salt???
Yep correct, water, salt, curing salt and sugar is a very basic ham brine but other herbs and spices are added for different flavours

...........on the road

Avo
4th August 2017, 08:04 PM
Yep correct, water, salt, curing salt and sugar is a very basic ham brine but other herbs and spices are added for different flavours

...........on the road

legend,cheers.......will buy a few small pieces this weekend and practice....i have another 2 pigs in the paddock now so needd to practice for the crissie hams,one will be meat the other hams

Winnie
4th August 2017, 08:13 PM
So how do we place an order?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Avo
4th August 2017, 08:24 PM
So how do we place an order?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

lol...would you believe i sent some ding snag in the post this week,,posted here in pemberton..monday..mail coolect at 4pm..it arrived in rockhampton wednesday lunch time...express posted but still not bad.........but that's just teasing

Avo
19th August 2017, 04:46 PM
2 more days,then i will know if i have succeeded or failed miserably......
either way it will be a lesson cause i am not giving up

Avo
20th August 2017, 08:26 PM
Impatient bastard i am....some say brine for one day every pound others say brine for 12 days....i did it for 11 days...pulled it out of brine....dunked in hot water for 30 min to expell some salt.....i didnt have water hot enough as the flavour is a bit salty.......then whacked in smoker at 225 degrees farnieght for 6 hours......

What would i change......the flavour....to salty and would love it sweeter.......more raw sugar and maple syruphttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/149.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/150.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Stropp
21st August 2017, 01:22 AM
That and fresh Marron mate, I'm on my way 😳

Bush Ranger
21st August 2017, 08:22 PM
Hamming it up again I see AVO. Wonder how smoked marron go.

Avo
21st August 2017, 08:42 PM
Hamming it up again I see AVO. Wonder how smoked marron go.

can't beat them just boiled and in white bread butter and a bit of salt....

Bush Ranger
21st August 2017, 08:45 PM
can't beat them just boiled and in white bread butter and a bit of salt....

Bit of garlic butter is the go some say.