PDA

View Full Version : Original Nissan Towbar install (Installation Instructions?)

expatwil
12th July 2017, 11:08 PM
Hi,

Anyone have the install instructions for a factory tow bar? Trying to figure out how big a job it is.

Does the entire bumper have to come off, anything to watch out for?

MudRunnerTD
12th July 2017, 11:44 PM
Yeah item 2 has to be fitted inside the chassis rail from the rear and you will have to take the bumper off to get in there. It is not a difficult job and worth having a go. Expect to pay $300 or more to have it fitted id reckon?

VK2FMIA
13th July 2017, 09:32 AM
Hi,

Anyone have the install instructions for a factory tow bar? Trying to figure out how big a job it is.

Does the entire bumper have to come off, anything to watch out for?

Timely post, just about to take mine off today to give it a clean up & a fresh coat of paint. Thanks for the diagram!

expatwil
13th July 2017, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Yeah funny how the instructions say it's a half hour for the install on the bar and half hour for the harness, but everyone want's $300 for it.

Best quote for OEM parts was $480 parts $300 labor. Worst was $630 parts and $450 labor. Arb is around 800 for a Hayman Reese.

Anyone know which one has better clearance, the Hayman Reese bar or Nissan OEM? Not that it matters as they all get banged, but the more clearance the better.

jack
13th July 2017, 02:38 PM
The actual towbar is pretty easy to install, recommend you have a go yourself. Don't know about the half hour bit though, took me a fair bit longer than that but wasn't in a hurry. The harness was nice and easy BUT I had an auto elec son in law do that part.
Clearance is fine but put the flat plug on top on the mounting plate, not below.

MudRunnerTD
13th July 2017, 07:30 PM
They come.up on eBay and Facebook regularly. I'd be chasing a second hand one. They are both rated. The factory one is very HD.

schanmala
14th July 2017, 03:06 PM
yep easy to install / remove. From memory you wanna make sure you have "Part number 1" with the metal attached to it.

so you can push the nut through the chassis rail.

Can easily weld a length of wire to it if the wire is broked