PDA

View Full Version : gu 2.8td engine rebuild

colegate98
1st May 2011, 09:30 PM
hey all
just wondering if there is much that can be done to the 2.8s to get decent power out of them during a rebuild? such as stroker kits? or would it be a cheaper/easier option to swap to a 4.2 turbo?

any info will be appreciated. thanks

Ben-e-boy
2nd May 2011, 09:49 AM
Gday.

You may be able to get aftermarket piston and and conrods Butyou can get the crankshaft balanced. In one of the issues of 4wd extreme the had an 80 series ( a toyota I know).
It had an aftermarket turbo,pistons,conrod and a crank balance, The power and torque figures are nothing shy of outstanding 185 Kw ( 250 Hp) and 1400Nm (1032 Ft-Lbs) of torque. These kind of mods will keep the reliability of the motor. Although you will need to spend some serious coin on the injector pump

Benno7
2nd May 2011, 05:07 PM
If there noting wrong with your motor get a bigger exhaust, bigger intake pipes before the turbo, better intercooler, change the the exhaust manifold to gq one and a gt25bb turbo and then chip it then it will go much better or put a td42t in it.

colegate98
2nd May 2011, 10:33 PM
Cheers it's just invade it decides to sh!t itself having 340000 on the clock. I might drop the 4.2 in if it does happen

Cheers ashley

MQ MAD
3rd May 2011, 10:09 AM
Do some reading regarding costs to repair these motors
My ol GU 2.8 (few years ago) just for a top end rebuild was over 4K
Some are doin just top end repairs by themselves but the costs are still a few K
(Theres a current thread on this)

Goin to the 4.2 im sure the box wont hang on
The 2.8 gear is like the weakest of the weakest , as i was told when mine went bang
Cause i was disapointed with the lack of power and thought easier to get maybe 4.2 or V8
If your handy with the spanners id be looking into a V8 on LPG