PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide to Karijini Nat Park

Chubba
1st July 2017, 07:41 PM
Hi all. Karijini Nat park looks to be a beautiful spot and have been thinking of going for a few years now. This is something that I would like to have a crack at in the next year or so. It's a long long way and was hopeful that anyone out there may have some tips, suggestions, advice, stories, places of interest on the way , warnings any input what so ever. It would be very much appreciated.
Cheers all.

TPC
1st July 2017, 10:48 PM
Have not been to that area myself but it looks good.
Avo is not far from there visiting family, he may have some advice.

gubigfish
2nd July 2017, 01:16 AM
- While driving in the Park make sure you let your tyres down from highway pressures, the roads in the Park are made up of very sharp rocks that like to puncture tyres.
- Allow at least a week in the Park, more if you have time.
- There are 2 camp grounds in the park one is DPAW (Dept of Parks and Wildlife, State Govt Run) and the other is a private facility both by gorges at opposite ends of the Park.
- Wittenoom is worth a visit but be wary of the remaining locals that live there.
- Get good hiking shoes as the gorges can be a decent walk from the car parks and to get to the best spots you have to hike a fair way.
- Watch out for the Spinnifex

Chubba
2nd July 2017, 06:22 AM
Cheers for the info biggish. What about the trip up there? What would be the best way up to the park? Anything to look out for on the way up? Best places to stop or avoid.

my third 256
2nd July 2017, 07:44 AM
bloody long way no crispy creams on the way there only bolivar
hay new servo going in a cavan behind the steak house at the pub its a caltex

Cuppa
2nd July 2017, 08:13 AM
It really depends upon how long you have for trip. WA is a huge state with so much to see. If you tell us how long you are thinking of going for it would make coming up with suggestions easier. There are some fantastic coastal areas eg. Kalbarri, Shark Bay, Ningaloo. IMO the best of the west coast starts at Shark Bay & just keeps getting better as you go further north, but if Karijini is your northernmost destination you'd turn inland just after Ningaloo. The coastal road is mostly a long way from the coast.
My preference from Adelaide would probably be the inland route, Uluru to Laverton via the Great Central Rd, (turn off at the Olgas - doing so allows you to go to Uluru without having to pay for a pass & there are some free camp spots not too far past the Olgas) allowing for some exploration time around the WA Goldfields (Gwalia & Lake Ballard would be at the top of my must sees in the Goldfields). The dirt road from Laverton to Leonora is more interesting than the bitumen, with plenty of opportunity for free camping. From Leonora head north via Wiluna & Meekathara all the way up to Karijini. Or you could go west to the coast from Leinster, via Sandstone & Mt Magnet.

It wouldn't be hard to spend a year or three just swanning around WA & still not see all it has to offer! There are other more adventurous routes across the western deserts. Just depends upon what you want.

Chubba
2nd July 2017, 08:36 AM
Hi Cuppa. Yeah mate. Time is a factor. I wouldn't have anymore than say a month. I was thinking a week maybe at Karijini leaving three weeks travel to and from. Hadn't thought of the Uluru option(interesting). I don't think we have enough time for the cost rd
Was thinking Nullarbor then north at Norseman. But at this stage all option still on the table.

Cuppa
2nd July 2017, 11:15 AM
IMHO the Uluru route would be far more interesting than the Nullarbor & distance is significantly less distance as these google maps show, but I wouldn't rely on google's estimated travel times (they are not very accurate for dirt roads). I'd reckon that the travel time between the two routes would be much the same.

gubigfish
2nd July 2017, 11:29 AM
Looking at my Hema Explorer you could go north from Norseman to Wiluna on the Goldfields Hwy and then west towards Meekathara from Wiluna or Divert to Mt Magnet from Leinster. Both Mt Magnet and Meekathara are on the Gt Northern Hwy which will take you to Newman and Karijini.

For a real adventure you could take the Menzies Sandstone Road which takes you past Lake Ballard and some art sculptures that have been installed there, this road goes all the way to Meekathara and would be interesting I've just never travelled it before.

Stop in at Kalgoorlie and check out the Super pit and some of the pubs there. Maybe on your way back stop in at Esperance and check out some of the beaches etc down there.

the evil twin
2nd July 2017, 12:10 PM
Are you/will you be towing anything?

If it is likely to be a 'once in a lifetime' trip to that region then I strongly suggest you include Mt Augustus, Millstream NP and Karajini NP.
Awesome region albeit Karajini is not in my top 5 places in Aus it is def a must see as are the other two.
You can do a loop to include all of them (a single night at Mt Augustus is enough if time is an issue).

You may find your dual fueler a bit of PIA in that LPG availability is limited and when available is bloody expensive.
Petrol won't be an issue as fuel stops are close enough together to be realistic but, again, expensive

When up there and getting around also make sure you jump online before you go or go to the Visitor Centre at Karratha or Tom Price and get a Rail Access Road Permit.
This lets you use some of the Iron Ore Rail Service Roads which are in phenomal condition compared to the shire roads and easily allow a day visit to Karratha etc for sightseeing or restocking gear

Chubba
2nd July 2017, 02:36 PM
Cuppa. Just looking at those distances Google has given you. I think they might be a bit out mate. Nearly 6000km along the Nullarbor. I reckon it's more like 3500km that way. And the Uluru way about 300 to 400 shorter. Don't know what Google's doing to you mate.
But I do think the inland way as you suggested is the way to go

the evil twin
2nd July 2017, 03:13 PM
Via Uluru/Laverton is longer in distance by about 4 to 500K's than via the Nullarbor/Kalgoorlie and much longer in time by at least a day and a half driving time assuming you don't drive at night and take the shortest route thru outback WA via Leinster and Wiluna to the Great Northern at Meekatharra.

You will be travelling in the shorter days of the year and the overnight stops along the Great Central determine how far to push
There are some long stretches of pretty average gravel roads and no major service centres going that way as well.

IMHO the decision depends how much time you have available for the trip

Cuppa
2nd July 2017, 04:39 PM
Google wrong! What gives? Isn't everything on the interweb true & factual? Ok I didn't check & just accepted what Mr Google told me.
ET knows WA.
I'd still go that way though, maybe go one way, come back another?

TPC
2nd July 2017, 04:53 PM
Google wrong! What gives? Isn't everything on the interweb true & factual? Ok I didn't check & just accepted what Mr Google told me.
ET knows WA.

I think it might have been user error Cuppa.

the evil twin
2nd July 2017, 04:55 PM
snip...

Go West to East on the Great Central... saves having to pay the Uluru Entrance Fee :tongue:

Personally the Great Central Road is 'once per Trip' option for me and West to East works 'cause time doesn't matter.
Later I usually have developed a case of 'Gethomeitis' towards the end of a trip so the bitumen is then attractive.

People from over East I would accept the reverse is maybe better.

Cuppa
2nd July 2017, 06:09 PM
I think it might have been user error Cuppa.

Huh? Howdjadothat?

Ok I just re-did it & got the same as you. What could I have done wrong first time around? Weird!

TPC
2nd July 2017, 06:14 PM
Huh? Howdjadothat?

Ok I just re-did it & got the same as you. What could I have done wrong first time around? Weird!

If you had a few intermediate destinations you may have had it backtrack in the middle by having the destinations out of order.

Cuppa
2nd July 2017, 06:42 PM
Go West to East on the Great Central... saves having to pay the Uluru Entrance Fee

Isn't it the same going west, but with the requirement that you show a transit permit for the road (no cost) at the toll booth, to 'prove' you are doing what you say you are doing?

Cuppa
2nd July 2017, 06:44 PM
If you had a few intermediate destinations you may have had it backtrack in the middle by having the destinations out of order.

Ah, Yup that's a possibility. Doh!

GQtdauto
2nd July 2017, 06:53 PM
You're idea is Valid Cuppa even if Google sold you short , I thought you needed a permit to travel past Uluru no matter which way you go east or west .
Some amazing places , rockholes etc past the rock heading west and if you have a metal detector I could waste two weeks on this route alone .

stevemc181
2nd July 2017, 10:56 PM
4-5 nights will be enough to spend in Karrajini. You'll do all the major gorge walks in 3 days. Another option to consider is to head up to Coober Pedy and come across the Anne Beadell. The Anne Beadell was graded last year in the roughest sections around Emu airfield, so it should be a reasonable run and if in a hurry, 3 nights will cover the AB. I'll be heading over the AB enroute to Fraser Island etc in late August. I think the drive through the Great Victoria desert section and the red dunes is simply awesome country.

Chubba
3rd July 2017, 09:06 AM
Via Uluru/Laverton is longer in distance by about 4 to 500K's than via the Nullarbor/Kalgoorlie and much longer in time by at least a day...........

IMHO the decision depends how much time you have available for the trip

Yes evil. As with all of us time is always a factor, we all try to squeeze as much as we can in whether it's a weekend or six months. Karijili is the whole point of the trip so 5 or so nights in that immediate area leaving three weeks max to play with there and back. Taking to fastest route over the Nullarbor 3 to 4 days each way another week leaving a week to play with I spose..

UncleFrosty
3rd July 2017, 10:11 AM
I notice you're on dual fuel. Plan/budget your re-fuelling well if you rely on LPG for range.
LPG out this way is $$$$...
Choice of $1.09 or $1.16 per litre here today. Not sure of cost or availability further north. I've just tried checking the LPG price on the Fuelwatch website for both Leonora and Meekatharra, and no prices listed - might indicate it's not even available.

the evil twin
3rd July 2017, 02:18 PM
Agree ^^^^ .... my dual fueler (a TB42) I used to carry 3 to 4 Jerries of Fuel when touring.

As I mentioned in post #10 LPG availability is an issue and non existent in outback WA.
Today, LPG is $1.30 ish at Karratha and $1.00 to $1.20 ish at the major regionals in the south west like Geraldton or Kalgoorlie etc.

Elsewhere it is non-existent or 'waiting for a delivery' or if available in minor coastals like Exmouth $1.40

Chubba
3rd July 2017, 03:33 PM
LPG is one of the factors that I need to consider on any of my trips. Doing the fuel research for a trip is essential. With the tanks full I'll get 900ks (high range) after LPG has gone I'll need ULP every 600ks after that. If the longest stretch is around 900ks without fuel I'm fine. Any more than that I have to rethink things. As for the price, well I just have to pay it.

the evil twin
4th July 2017, 09:53 AM
You will probably have 2000 K's without LPG thru the guts or more depending which way you go at the WA end.
The biggest stretch between ULP fuel is 305 K's
I would suggest topping off at every stop except Docker River

Note that the fuel outlets on the Great Central only operate on a 9 to 5 basis and may charge a significant fee to open pumps outside those times.

TPC
4th July 2017, 10:52 AM
You will probably have 2000 K's without LPG thru the guts or more depending which way you go at the WA end.
The biggest stretch between ULP fuel is 305 K's
I would suggest topping off at every stop except Docker River

Note that the fuel outlets on the Great Central only operate on a 9 to 5 basis and may charge a significant fee to open pumps outside those times.

Back in the 80's on a work trip I got caught out by a closed service station that I thought would be open, was looking like we were going to have to sleep in the car but ended up going into the first farm we came across and buying some fuel from the farmer.
I am much more careful these days.