PDA

View Full Version : going in deep water

taurus35
1st May 2011, 02:09 PM
hi i go through deep water in winter as road floods and i pull a lot of cars out i see on the site about breather pipes on the diffs etc should i extend them to above the window hight as well thanks and what elce do i need to safe gaurd my tank water leavel up to the bonnet

tappo
1st May 2011, 02:12 PM
diff beather lines should be kept above the water level..... if ur goin into water above ur window all tha time, yea extend em 4 sure.
water in diff equals pain..... and cash money

YNOT
1st May 2011, 02:14 PM
Definately raise your diff and gearbox breathers.
If you have not already got one a snorkel is also essential.
Sealed beam headlights are better for deep water as well.

Tony

growler2058
1st May 2011, 02:16 PM
Cheap bit of insurance mate if your doin water crossings, bit of fuel line some clamps and a couple of filters, I think there mayb breathers on your gearbox and transfer case as well i havent had a good look yet to do em but have done both diffs

taurus35
1st May 2011, 02:29 PM
thanks i have put a snorkel on and sealed it hadnt thought of anything elce like the breathers untill i read your forums new about the headlights when they filled up with water ha everyone here is a great help thanks

AB
1st May 2011, 08:22 PM
As a 4wder who lives in the dry hills do I really need breathers considering I live in Victoria and every time I enter water I have been previosuly travelling at 5km/ph for the last hour and the diffs would be icey cold?

From my understanding, hot diffs suck in water, etc....

Slight hijack but still on track...lol

growler2058
1st May 2011, 08:34 PM
As a 4wder who lives in the dry hills do I really need breathers considering I live in Victoria and every time I enter water I have been previosuly travelling at 5km/ph for the last hour and the diffs would be icey cold?

Your diffs may well get hot at Loveday mate and there IS mud n water there cheap insurance

gec
1st May 2011, 08:36 PM

For the sake of thirty or forty bucks for some cheapy's I'd be doing it anyway if I was you AB, we dont get water over here in the west but I done mine just in case hehe.

AB
1st May 2011, 08:43 PM
Better be safe then sorry hey...Cheers!

GUte
1st May 2011, 11:34 PM
what filters can be used on the end of the extended lines?

Bigrig
2nd May 2011, 12:17 AM

Snake Racing filter tips are good quality, but ARB, TJM, etc do similar that are water repellant (nothin is water proof irrespective of what they say!) so go for good quality as they are not expensive.

growler2058
2nd May 2011, 06:30 AM

Ive used breather filters as seen on rocker covers on ol holdens basically a paper element encased in wire but read a thread here somewhere that may not be suitable, has worked well for me sofar and have been in deep shi.......oops i mean deep mud

GUte
2nd May 2011, 03:38 PM
Going to give these a try since a lot of people use fuel filters on the end
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370452518282

Will let yes know how they go

patch697
2nd May 2011, 04:00 PM
I used these:

Thay are air filter for air compressors & can be got from any compressor parts supplier

Thay are around $5 each

You can buy a one way barb fitting for the threaded end to put your hose on & screw the too together using an angle bracket in between to use as a mount.

It works a treat & looks the goods.