PDA

View Full Version : warning lights on dash

gassit74
30th April 2011, 03:31 PM
Hi there,
i have just joined as i was looking for information on a problem that i have with my 4.2 fuel injected GQ patrol on gas.
Whilst driving home last night, 3 warning lights came on....a red battery light, a red exclaimation light came on at the top rhs of the dash and a yellow light at the bottom of the tacho that looks like some kind of filter or radiator symbol.
As i dont have an owners manual i want to what the yellow light means. and the relationship that it has to the other 2 lights . The car ran faultlessly for over 50 kms after the lights came on and the headlights were working, the car starts with no problem. i have disconnected and reconnected the battery terminals, and the lights are still on. I am assuming that the battery light is an alternator issue, the yellow light and the red exclaimation light i am not sure of.
If any other owners have had this issue i would appreciate the feedback......thanks matt

NissanGQ4.2
30th April 2011, 03:42 PM
Red Battery Light - could be something wrong with the charging system

Red Exclamation - Brake warning light - Parking brake is on or you may have low brake fluid

not sure on the third what your referring 2

can you post up a pic mate???

Cheers

Todd

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 03:51 PM
Third orange light sounds like the air filter blocked indicator - when did you last change/clean the air filter mate??

The battery light could be the system itself, the alternator not charging, the battery not holding voltage etc ...

The other one I'm unsure of - would have to go have a squiz at mine ...

NissanGQ4.2
30th April 2011, 04:02 PM
If i took a stab in the dark i would agree with Scotty, but would like 2 see pic if possible, i'm pretty sure the air filter blocked is the only one that comes up orange, but not 100%

the evil twin
30th April 2011, 07:21 PM
Yep... the orange one is the air filter warning. There is a differential pressure switch that looks at the pressures before and after the air filter.

If all 3 illuminated at the same time I would suggest it is a wiring/voltage/earth issue and not actual faults as all 3 'systems' are totally unrelated to each other.

First thing I would do is check the Alternator output voltage across the battery terminals with the engine idling... should be 13.8 or more. If it is about 12 something you may have dropped a phase of the alternator which can do some unusual things.

gassit74
2nd May 2011, 11:21 AM
hi guys, and a big thanks to you all.
I have worked out that the alternator has done itself a mischief so am currently trying to source a new one. The best price i can get from repco is about $430.00....so if anyone has one for sale then please let me know. I am situated in melbourne (spotswood) thru the week, but go home to traralgon (latrobe valley) on the weekends.
once again thank you to all......matt
P.s. i am changing the air filter element as well......seems like a wise thing to do....!

YNOT
2nd May 2011, 11:39 AM
Check this thread, post #6 may interest you; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4014-Battery-light-comes-on-at-high-revs&highlight=alternator

I'm sure Paul (Patch697) won't hesitate to provide more information if you are interested.

Tony

timbar
2nd May 2011, 11:50 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer
Please Post an Introduction up in the Intro section and some pics would be nice !!
ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim