PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank repair stick

Cuppa
27th May 2017, 07:00 PM
Has anyone actually used one of these? http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Permatex-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Stick-1-oz/379867

It looks like a good idea for the outback spares kit.

I have steel putty, but using it on a leaking fuel tank could mean having to first drain the tank.

On the pack this says it says it sticks to ‘Gasoline wet metal’. Anyone know if it sticks to ‘diesel wet metal’?

mudski
27th May 2017, 07:09 PM
That would be good to just in the spare kit for sure mate. Next to the steel putty, and the bar of soap. Soap works too if you didn't know. But its small so why wouldn't you chuck one in.

NissanGQ4.2
27th May 2017, 07:16 PM
Never tried it, but did find this bad review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCVqKs_GO_0

drill a hole in ur tank and let us know if it works :)

dads tractor
27th May 2017, 07:49 PM
Cuppa in all honesty done a few ks on dirt in 2wheel drives and 4x4's and only had one hit too fuel tank in a over loaded HR so used soap ( bar of velvet ) . Personly wouldn't bother .

Cuppa
27th May 2017, 07:56 PM
Thanks Todd, but I think I’ll give your suggestion a miss! :) I did find another Youtube video after watching the one you linked to where someone showed using a similar product which appeared to work following a pretty thorough cleaning of the tank.

Would be good to hear from anyone who has used it (or anything else which has worked) first hand.

I managed a successful temporary repair on a plastic tank leak using a tek screw once, but doubt it would work on a metal tank.

MrsTea assures me we’ll have a bar of soap with us Mark & DT.

garett
27th May 2017, 07:59 PM
i've used one... it worked but i was working above the petrol line and had easy access and plenty of time. not convinced its a great fix.

mudski
27th May 2017, 08:07 PM
I know many dont like the 4wd Action guys and vids but on one episode they punched a hole in the tank on the GQ. And they showed how they did a road side repair which works really well. One thing that is a must is cleanliness. They first drained the tank and then wire brushed the area and made sure it was 100% clean. I'm only guessing if someone has a bad experience with these kinds of products, they have not prepared the are properly.