PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Safari TSR 265 70 17

Trolly
29th April 2011, 09:42 PM
Just got some new shoes fitted. After lots of thought, I went for the Kelly TSR in the size closest to standard. Didnt want to loose fuel economy, and dont have much height to spare in the shed with 2" lift! Price was good after some 'negotiation'. They have a slight road noise compared to the Goodyear Silent Armours that have done about 60k. I reckon they should be good tyres. Did a run in soft deep sand down the river today and with 36 they got us in and out (just), with the obvious difference being their tendency to dig when spun. Good looking tyre, hope they last well. Will report again after some ks. cheers.

Bigrig
29th April 2011, 09:48 PM
They look awesome mate ... very similar to the MT ATZ 4 Ribs but a little more aggressive looking .. Top find ..

Trolly
29th April 2011, 10:21 PM
Yeh they do look similar in some ways. I would have been happy with either, but 380 for the micky t and 320 for the kelly moved me to the kelly. I will know in about 4 yrs if they are any good...

patch697
30th April 2011, 12:18 AM
Yeh they do look similar in some ways. I would have been happy with either, but 380 for the micky t and 320 for the kelly moved me to the kelly. I will know in about 4 yrs if they are any good...

Yep im hearing ya there.... Thay all look the goods new but its the mileage that will determine if you saved any money in the long run for sure.

Bloody nice looking though & if thay do there job its always a good day.

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 08:59 AM

Do the Kelly's come with a mileage warranty? 90,000 k's is hard to turn away from with the MT's for an extra $70 per tyre - but that said, not sure on what is expected out of the Kelly's. As said, time will tell ... and they do look the goods!!! Side biters are certainly more aggressive than the MT's and the tread pattern looks a little more aggressive also ... great to have choice in between a mud terrain and an all terrain either way!

Trolly
30th April 2011, 09:09 AM
I think they do, I think the 285 70 17 has 80k warranty, and the size I bought 60k, but not sure, I didint ask. I think you must have wheel allignments every 20k? and rotatation at the tyre dealer every 10k for this warranty to apply. I dont think so!! The tyre warranty for damage due to manufacture faults doesnt require the mentioned services. I am not having a wheel allignment for 65 when the only adjustment without major work is tow in. I have checked that at home, and the old tyres where wearing perfectly with 60k on them. Has anyone else had experience with trying to get warranty for mileage??

Trolly
20th June 2011, 09:42 PM
update....3.5k down and I really like them. Towed the CT over some pretty rough tracks on the long weekend out west and was very happy with them in the loose gravel and muddy creeks. They really do ride well, and they hold track will in the ruts and bogged out bits. They are slightly noisy on the black top at 60-80ks, but not really noticable. They feel really good at speed on the bitumen too, and corner very well. They should get a bit louder as they wear I guess. Very happy with them in the sand, so long as not too much right foot when not needed, that makes em dig a bit. Have had them down to 16, but about 22 is good and means I can drive home without pumping them up again (15kms). They will get a really good sand workout over the school holidays with CT in tow. Good tyre I reckon. cheers.

nowoolies
20th June 2011, 11:37 PM
nice looking tyres
now go drive em a bit and give us a report hahahahahahahahahahahahahaah
any excuse to go 4x4x4x4ing tell the missus your under orders for the forum hahahahahahahahah

Chaz
27th August 2011, 12:31 AM
I've done just over 30K on my 285 Kelly's and I'm still very impressed by them. They are excellent off road and reasonably quiet on road. Certainly quieter than I expected, but they are starting to get a bit noisier as they wear, as one would expect. I've had one side wall puncture, but I wouldn't blame the tyre for that. I rotate 6 of them, 2 every 10K and keep them at 36psi cold. So far the worst one is down to 11mm of tread from 14mm if I remember correctly, so plenty of km left in them.

http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/images/Rearend.jpg

tracemul7
13th May 2013, 08:16 PM
Hey Folks with these Kelly tyres - any update? Looking at putting them on our '06 GU ST 3.0

Chaz
14th May 2013, 08:49 PM
Hey Folks with these Kelly tyres - any update? Looking at putting them on our '06 GU ST 3.0

I'm still very happy with them. I've now done about 60K on 6 of them and the worst one is down to about 7mm of tread. They are getting slightly noisier, but that's to be expected. So far no significant chipping or rubber missing and still only one sidewall puncture.

wildcard
18th June 2013, 01:07 AM
Hey Trolly, how are things going with your tyres. Love to know how they have stood the test of time?

tracemul7
26th June 2013, 09:38 PM
Got these fitted on our Patrol a couple of weeks ago. Very quiet on the road and great on slate/rock on our last trip.
Mud this weekend to test them :)

Tyrepower in SA very mixed pricing, so pays to shop around .... Saved me $20 per tyre and we did 5 .... We went with Tyrepower Gawler - very happy.