PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting GU "key in" warning buzzer

YNOT
29th April 2011, 10:27 PM
1. Remove steering column shroud
- 3 screws
- remove key surround
- with a small screwdriver, gently force the two shroud sections apart.
Insert the screwdriver where the 2 stalks enter the shroud. Only the bottom section of shroud has to be removed fully.

2. On top of the key cylinder 2 wires exit with black tube wrap, going to a white plug - for 4.2 models. For 3.0 models the plug is brown. This plugs into a white socket which is wrapped in foam around the black wiring loom. JUST UNPLUG IT!

3. Replace the shroud
4. Enjoy the silence

Tony

P.S. I copied this from another forum

04OFF
1st May 2011, 01:00 AM
Good tip, i too find them very annoying, only brand new car ive ever bought was a 98 Nissan Pulsar, that bloody key in buzzer thing didn't last even one day, and i dissconected it in the same manner as you described.

nowoolies
1st May 2011, 11:48 AM
1. Remove steering column shroud
- 3 screws
- remove key surround
- with a small screwdriver, gently force the two shroud sections apart.
Insert the screwdriver where the 2 stalks enter the shroud. Only the bottom section of shroud has to be removed fully.

2. On top of the key cylinder 2 wires exit with black tube wrap, going to a white plug - for 4.2 models. For 3.0 models the plug is brown. This plugs into a white socket which is wrapped in foam around the black wiring loom. JUST UNPLUG IT!

3. Replace the shroud
4. Enjoy the silence

Tony

P.S. I copied this from another forum

thank you, oh thank you, ..... i gotta get you a beer sir
im gunna go do this now...silence peace, just around the corner

Bob
1st May 2011, 11:51 AM
I am going to disconnect it in my Nissan Maxima. Bloody nuisance

MudRunnerTD
1st May 2011, 05:02 PM
Gather 1 x #2 Phillips head screw driver and 1 x #2 flat head screw driver and this mod will officially take you 6 minutes!!!!!!

AWESOME. Thanks Tony!.. I had seen the thread elsewhere but never got around to doing it. But it is EASY EASY EASY!.

nowoolies
1st May 2011, 10:33 PM
all done total silence ............................bliss
again thanks Tony

mcleod
19th February 2013, 01:34 PM
thanks for this, got to be the most annoying aspect of my patrol. Will be giving this a go in next couple days... silence is golden

zaid-m
23rd February 2013, 10:19 PM
Tony, even a whingeing pomm, says thank you very much. The silence is beautiful.
Even in -2° conditions I was still able to do this in under 15 min. Thank you again.

Franki
26th February 2013, 10:03 PM
Thank you so much, looking forward to some bloody peace.

Cheers

Lieney
26th February 2013, 11:05 PM
This process is in the reference document but thank you.
I wondered if i disconnected mine, if the headlight beep would still function.
Yes it does.
Did the same for another fellow, reckons he could have missed me. Pass..
It's brilliant, so thanks

Patrol-Guy
4th January 2014, 09:56 PM
So I'm out there installing the CB and this annoying little beeping sound is drilling into my skull........my keys are in the ignition and I'm wondering why I'm getting edgy.

Down under the dash reaching trying to pull the coax through and I can hear this continuous dam irritating alarm......didn't mean to get under the dash without taking the keys out of the ignition but dammit I was concentrating on what I was doing. So I down the tools and straight to the iPad to search the forum for someway to kill this key in ignition beeping noise.

Within 2 minutes I am jotting down the instructions for the destruction of this alarm.

Hey long story just to say thanks to YNOT but this is also a thank you to the members of the forum for being members of the forum. This is what it's all about. Now I have silence when my keys are in the ignition. I'm a happy little Patrol-Guy once again.

Paul

Dougy
3rd May 2014, 11:33 AM
Need Help, Car wont start. When I pulled the bottom shroud off I noticed the plastic ring around the end of the barrel was slightly broken. it has copper wire coiled around it and the wires were nearly touching the ignition barrel, I used a small screwdriver to put the exposed wires back in the plastic ring that runs around the barrel. then I disconnected the small brown plug which I think is the 'key in ignition' warning wire, tried starting the car and it just kept turning over. So I plugged brown plug back in and still car wont fire.??

NT09ST
4th May 2014, 12:26 PM
Just did this mod, being very careful of the inner plastic ring and the bit of copper wire that might be the issue in the above post. Still made me nervous but the buzzer is gone and the car still starts.

Awsome

Cheers.

mojo53
6th September 2014, 10:35 AM
Bloody great post, as i like to crank up the music and open the doors and use my car as a ghetto blaster while working outside and that dam beep beep shit annoys the hell out of me, i will have a beer or two in your honor next time i do it. :trink13:

mojo53
6th September 2014, 08:46 PM
Finally peace at last after 5 years and so simple, a very big thank you to all involved, the Road Runner is dead, no more beep beep beep....game over :clapping:

ranga071981
21st January 2017, 08:42 AM
Cheers so bloody annoying.

LaughingBeagles
30th January 2019, 01:43 PM
Finally - bliss... Thanks for the post.

Gotadxute
4th March 2024, 06:09 PM
Hi folks , curious thing is happening to my 2012 dx Ute . Replaced my under bonnet aux battery and after 5 years of ownership the dreaded door open beep is happening. Not sure why it’s only started yesterday .ill pull the shroud off and inspect.

pollenface
7th March 2024, 02:58 PM
did this on mine when I first got it, I think it was a brown wire for the CRD