PDA

View Full Version : Fire extinguishers

10G
16th May 2017, 07:04 PM
I need to get a fire extinguisher for my Patrol, but know nothing about them.

All advice, greatly appreciated.

garett
16th May 2017, 08:04 PM
they go phhhhfffffffffff after you pull the pin and squeeze the trigger.:P

GQtdauto
16th May 2017, 08:05 PM
Mines from Aldi about $20 and is the powder variety .

garett
16th May 2017, 08:08 PM
yeah i think a powder one would be ok.

Clunk
16th May 2017, 08:34 PM
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/MegaFire-1kg-Fire-Extinguisher-Metal-Bracket-ABE/530055

bazzaboy
17th May 2017, 09:36 AM
I carry three in the 4wd at all times. Two 1k dry powers, one in each of the driver & passenger door pockets, and a 2k Co2 in the rear. I also take a 9k water extinguisher mounted to my spare wheel, if I'm going anywhere that I'm likely to get dry grass caught up under the truck. The water extinguisher is great as it can be re-filled anywhere if used. Fill 3/4 with water and add 1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, then pressurize with air to 80psi. Good for putting bush or grass fires out, or to wash your hands.

4bye4
17th May 2017, 10:31 AM
The water extinguisher is great as it can be re-filled anywhere if used. Fill 3/4 with water and add 1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, then pressurize with air to 80psi. Good for putting bush or grass fires out, or to wash your hands.

Great idea. I think there used to be a tips or tricks, tools I have made type thread here, can anyone remember? Anyway this should go there I recon.

mudnut
17th May 2017, 10:56 AM
I used a dry powder type, on an old ute that was hastily abandoned as it had started to burn while the bloke was driving it.

The output of the extinguisher was pathetic and only subdued the fire for a moment which would have been enough to evacuate any passengers. Luckily a quick thinking worker in a nearby factory used their fire hose extinguish the flames.

Since then, I give any powder type a good knock and shake every couple of weeks to make sure the powder doesn't settle and become useless. Because my current extinguisher is lying horizontal on the floor I rotate it every now and then.

10G
17th May 2017, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2017, 09:00 PM
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/MegaFire-1kg-Fire-Extinguisher-Metal-Bracket-ABE/530055

That's a great price and will do the job well. I also like that that one is mounted into a steel bracket, my plastic bracket mount has given up.

I have one mounted on the B pillar at floor level behind the drivers seat and another at head height on the D pillar inside the rear small door.

Last year I came upon a VY commodore in the middle of an intersection with an engine bay fire fully alight. 2m high flames out the open bonnet. I pulled up and grabbed the 1kg powder extinguisher and felt inadequate walking upto the scene, the driver was distraught. Seriously, I walked up, pointed it at the roaring fire and pulled the trigger. BAM!!! Fire Gone!! I used the last of it under the car where there was a little spark but it easily did the job. Another guy walked up with a second one and finished off under the car but the single 1kg did a great job. 2 was better.

MB
17th May 2017, 10:43 PM
Job well done Darren, first on scene saviour mate ;-) !! Actually read the heading to this thread and 'MudRunnerTD' named as last post thinking you were finally divulging the blueprints to the awesome Murray River fire extinguisher hot water 'Donkey' :-)

10G
18th May 2017, 09:55 AM
What about under the vehicle with spinifex burning in a hard to get at place. Would a powder extinguisher be able to get into spots like that? I'm guessing the powder extinguisher works by suffocating the fire.

UncleFrosty
18th May 2017, 10:27 AM
Dry Chem extinguishers break the chemical reaction that leads to flame, so any breeze or anything that breaks the powder coat etc can impact on the effectiveness of these significantly (demonstrated when used on pooled fuel fires - re-ignites easily when powder layer on surface is broken). They don't remove any heat as such, so water works better on grass fires under vehicles.
The ratings on the side of the extinguisher indicate it's usefulness in each type of fire:
A - solid fuels (eg grass/wood)
B - liquid fuels (eg diesel)
C - gas
D - combustible metals (eg magnesium)
E - electrical
F - fat/oil (eg deep fryers)
The higher the number next to each letter the better it is at extinguishing that fire.
DC is a good All-rounder. Water way better for combustible solid fires due to its heat-removing properties. Foam for fuel, CO2 for electrical.
Big cojones for C, D or F class fires...

threedogs
18th May 2017, 11:26 AM
Mount it so you can grab it in a hurry in
front of the driver seat works for me

10G
18th May 2017, 12:29 PM
Dry Chem extinguishers break the chemical reaction that leads to flame, so any breeze or anything that breaks the powder coat etc can impact on the effectiveness of these significantly (demonstrated when used on pooled fuel fires - re-ignites easily when powder layer on surface is broken). They don't remove any heat as such, so water works better on grass fires under vehicles.
The ratings on the side of the extinguisher indicate it's usefulness in each type of fire:
A - solid fuels (eg grass/wood)
B - liquid fuels (eg diesel)
C - gas
D - combustible metals (eg magnesium)
E - electrical
F - fat/oil (eg deep fryers)
The higher the number next to each letter the better it is at extinguishing that fire.
DC is a good All-rounder. Water way better for combustible solid fires due to its heat-removing properties. Foam for fuel, CO2 for electrical.
Big cojones for C, D or F class fires...

Thanks Unc, very helpful.

Anyone know if you get water filled fire extinguishers?

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2017, 12:59 PM
Thanks Unc, very helpful.

Anyone know if you get water filled fire extinguishers?

Either of these will work and have other uses around camp. Its only water.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-2L-PRESSURE-SPRAYER-SPRAY-BOTTLE-2-LITRE-WATER-WATERING-SPRAYING-PUMP-MIST-/122482939306?hash=item1c848d55aa:g:Y~wAAOSwQJ5USkS 3

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pressure-Sprayer-Pump-Action-Watering-5L-Garden-Weedkiller-Hand-Spray-Bottle-/222388483898?hash=item33c762f73a:g:YwsAAOSwUKxYiIy R

Bacho86
18th May 2017, 05:53 PM
I also carry a fire blanket in the patrol when camping, won't help you with grass fires under the patrol but more for general camp / cooking fires etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dads tractor
20th May 2017, 01:27 PM
I give any powder type a good knock and shake every couple of weeks to make sure the powder doesn't settle and become useless. Because my current extinguisher is lying horizontal on the floor I rotate it every now and then. Mudnut this is the biggest downfall of dry chem we had to fluff up our 250kgs vessels every quartely and our trucks were inside the airport .Diesel vibration will pack a dry chem in short time as well .solution invert extinguisher and give a few tapes on the corner of the tire
tread and shake like a race car winner on the podium .Winner

Old Wal
23rd May 2017, 09:27 PM
Mudnut this is the biggest downfall of dry chem we had to fluff up our 250kgs vessels every quartely and our trucks were inside the airport .Diesel vibration will pack a dry chem in short time as well .solution invert extinguisher and give a few tapes on the corner of the tire
tread and shake like a race car winner on the podium .Winner

This too was pointed out to me when I did a dangerous goods course many years ago, We had to have an inspection list or schedule that included shaking up the powder. If you have the space an extinguisher that has a hose attached is better . If you have an under dash fire you can aim the hose up under the dash - dry powder extinguishers don't work for long upside down or on their side. Likewise if you have an engine bay fire you can just pop the bonnet ( without lifting it ) , insert the hose and give a quick blast to quell the fire a little . Saves getting a face full of flames

10G
24th May 2017, 11:08 AM
Yeah this is what I'm thinking of. You're driving along and the bloke behind says "There's smoke coming out from underneath". You stop, but what extinguisher do you grab?

A pressurised extinguisher full of water would be great for spinifex fires as the water will go everywhere. A powder of CO2 extinguisher would be good for an electrical short, but hard to get it up into places when you're on your back under the truck.

threedogs
24th May 2017, 02:58 PM
What about under the vehicle with spinifex burning in a hard to get at place. Would a powder extinguisher be able to get into spots like that? I'm guessing the powder extinguisher works by suffocating the fire.

You can buy different shaped sprayers for pump action extinghisers .
if you get a build up of spinifex seed these will be Ideal. May even be
an idea to make up a 4ft hook out of some fencing wire, to drag any build up
of grass out of the way. You'll find a piece a fencing wire on any trip ,,so
grab a piece 1000 uses