PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission..Help Needed Please

Ade
28th April 2011, 06:58 PM
Hi guys..

I am currently facing a problem with my auto transmission. Really need helps with this one.

Its a 1992 LWB GQ TD42 with after market turbo.

Brief history of my Patrol.. Bought it from a guy with 250k km around the odo. The only issues at that time was coolant and atf temperature. ATF temp did once reached 140c as I push very hard in beating a 80 series lc on a flat road :first: ;). Have the ATF flushed out and put in fresh Castrol Dextron 3. Solved both issues with what most of us know, radiator, rad cap, fan clutch, thermostat, coolant, fuel system, two large ATF coolers (linked in seriaes with factory cooler inside the rad), etc.. Both temps never reached 100c ever since no matter how hard I pushed it on a flat or very long and steep hill climb.

I just finish rebuilding the engine bay about a month ago. Took out the engine and gearbox, repaint the engine bay, put in new turbo, catch tank, new exhaust, mod to the intake manifold and bla bla bla..
As all done and put in back together, took it for a trial around town, to the work place..everthing was great. Until about 2 weeks ago when I took it for a 1.5k km trial, half way into the trip, thing happens. Gearbox skips 2nd gear and didnt shift in into 4th. The power/od button also didnt give any respons though power light lits. I have to drive it with 1st and 3rd gear half way back to home..:1062: diesel like nothing.

The Patrol has been sitting in my garage for almost 3 weeks now, trying to firgure out what was wrong. Checked the ATF level-ok and no burnt smells. Disconnected both TCU connectors, drove it..took off in 3rd and didnt shift in into 4th. Put t in 2nd range..took off in 1st and didnt shift in into 2nd nor 3rd and 4th. 1st range..took off and of course it stays 1st. Been asking the auto tranny guys here and straight away the answer is..it needed complete overhaul.

So, anyone had ever faced the same problem? Thanks.

YNOT
28th April 2011, 07:52 PM
I hate to say it but I think you're going to be up for either a transmission rebuild or replacement.
Nothing kills auto transmissions faster or more often than overheated fluid, so even though it was not hot for very long the damage was probably done there and you've been on borrowed time ever since.
I'm not sure about the transmission fluid you have used, the Patrol auto's need Matic-D fluid. Japanese Dexron II is a Matic-D equivalant but Australian Dexron II is not and must not be used. I'm not sure where Dexron III fits in and whether it's a suitable equivalant.

Tony

the evil twin
28th April 2011, 07:58 PM
Oh dear... :frown:

and Auto TD42's are so rare as well, what have you done. :shivering:

I would be straight on the phone to Wholesale Automatics in Melbourne. They are as Gods in regard to Patrol Auto Gearboxes. They guys there race them and punch some BIG numbers thru them horsepower wise.

Anyway, they are really helpful, have a brilliant rep and their gear is first rate if you need bits

As a point of interest how did you know the ATF temp was 140 deg?... did the prev owner have a gauge put in?... if so he might have been having issues and thats why he sold it

Ade
28th April 2011, 08:28 PM
Oh dear... :frown:

and Auto TD42's are so rare as well, what have you done. :shivering:

I would be straight on the phone to Wholesale Automatics in Melbourne. They are as Gods in regard to Patrol Auto Gearboxes. They guys there race them and punch some BIG numbers thru them horsepower wise.

Anyway, they are really helpful, have a brilliant rep and their gear is first rate if you need bits

As a point of interest how did you know the ATF temp was 140 deg?... did the prev owner have a gauge put in?... if so he might have been having issues and thats why he sold it

Prev owner didnt. I did, tapped in the sender unit in between the gear box (output) and the trans cooler. I put in 'Autometer' temp gauges to keep an eye to the ATF, engine oil and coolant temp.

the evil twin
28th April 2011, 08:35 PM
Prev owner didnt. I did, tapped in the sender unit in between the gear box (output) and the trans cooler. I put in 'Autometer' temp gauges to keep an eye to the ATF, engine oil and coolant temp.

No worries... as Tony said... Heat is a killer for Auto's and if kept in operating parameters the GQ Auto's are tough enough to outlast the TD/TB's they are attached too.

Anyway, hope it's not totalled and pls let us all know how you go with the fix. If (God forbid) you need an exchange box try Wholesales first they have a very good exchange program.

Ade
28th April 2011, 08:42 PM
I hate to say it but I think you're going to be up for either a transmission rebuild or replacement.
Nothing kills auto transmissions faster or more often than overheated fluid, so even though it was not hot for very long the damage was probably done there and you've been on borrowed time ever since.
I'm not sure about the transmission fluid you have used, the Patrol auto's need Matic-D fluid. Japanese Dexron II is a Matic-D equivalant but Australian Dexron II is not and must not be used. I'm not sure where Dexron III fits in and whether it's a suitable equivalant.

Tony

Thanks Tony

According to Nissan here, Castrol Dexron III are compatible. They also used it.
Yeah..I'm afraid thats the case, rebuild or replace. I've been quoted from auto trans shop here $1500 (AUD) for a complete rebuild. Also have a mate willing to sell his auto tranny for $500 (AUD). Dont know if it is good or not since the tranny has been sitting in his garage for a some time.

Ade
28th April 2011, 08:48 PM
No worries... as Tony said... Heat is a killer for Auto's and if kept in operating parameters the GQ Auto's are tough enough to outlast the TD/TB's they are attached too.

Anyway, hope it's not totalled and pls let us all know how you go with the fix. If (God forbid) you need an exchange box try Wholesales first they have a very good exchange program.

I will. Might worth trying to fit in the tranny that my mate offered. It comes with exchange program too..'pay only when it fixed the problem' lol. Thanks E.T

Ade
28th April 2011, 11:55 PM
This is where it happened..trying to look for what had went wrong. Didnt found any loose connections, ATF looks find..end up driving with only 1st and 3rd gear 1000km++ all the way back home..

the evil twin
29th April 2011, 11:10 AM
If your mate is happy with $500 only if the Tranny is OK then thats def the way to go...

Just a suggestion but check out the Wholesale Automatics Valve Bodies. The recalibrated Valve Body will totally change the vehicle performance offroad or towing (about $AU800 I think).

A Torque Converter Lock Up Switch so you can lock the TC when offroad is a handy Mod as well (that one is a DIY for about $20 or so )

Ade
29th April 2011, 12:42 PM
I love to get one of those calibrated v/b..but I'm thousands kms away from Australia. Dont know if they be able to send it over here. For sure we dont have that kind of v/b here in my place E.T.

Ade
29th April 2011, 12:46 PM
I'm planning to spend this weekend to take out and put in mate's gearbox..

Bob
29th April 2011, 02:35 PM
I hope it all goes well.

the godfather
29th April 2011, 04:33 PM
Dam dude. I thought the Autos where indestructable. On the good side, $1500.00 is cheap for a rebuild. Good luck anyway. Let us know the out come.

Ade
29th April 2011, 05:15 PM
Dam dude. I thought the Autos where indestructable. On the good side, $1500.00 is cheap for a rebuild. Good luck anyway. Let us know the out come.

It is..as long it runs within all the parameters. Burst my ATF temp limit bitting up the LC..but that was when I didnt have those extra coolers. Will never do that again..hehe

Ade
8th May 2011, 02:02 PM
Days without the Patrol.......

Still waiting for a reply from Wholesale Auto Trans. Spoke to one of their guy the other day..dont know if their re-calibrated valve body would solve the problems.

Anyone with the same problem?

Anyone used that valve body..?

Ade
8th May 2011, 02:11 PM
By the way..I've removed the sump tank of the other tranny that I am planning to swap in and looking at the ATF in it definitely is a no way to go. So am considering a valve body from W'sale Auto Trans.

Ade
17th May 2011, 12:33 AM
Hi guys..
Away for work and schedule a bit packed. It's been quite some times without my patrol. I spoked with the guy from the wholesale transmission and he said it could be a broken brake band. I think he's right. Also stated in the manual. I took off the sump tank last Sunday and there's that beautiful flower like metal stuff sticking to the magnet. Seems the clutches are all worn out I guessed. So, which way to go? Am considering ditching the auto and getting a manual half cut. One wrecker already quoted me AUD4.5k comes with pto. Love to have that pto..hehe. But I am waiting for another 2 fresh half cut to arrive from Japan middle next month. Hopefully with low mileage but might be pricy.

Ade
25th June 2011, 11:00 PM
Guys.. What a feeling. That goood feeling! She's back and better than ever. I've got to share this with all you guys..

That auto box problem of mine, I finally got her sent for a rebuilt (had to choose option #1 - Rebuild. Tight budget, can't afford rebuilt and up graded box from Wholesale Transmission) couple of weeks ago and just pick her back today. God..It feels like picking up a brand new car after having her sitting in my garage for months I might say. Its got her 2 weeks rebuilding the box awaiting the clutch linings back ordered from Australia! But its all worth the time waiting..

Guys..you all know the feeling right? I'm no good in English..but hope you all got what I'm trying to say here..lol.

Anyway..thanks for all the support guys. Best Nissan Nut House! :beer:

YNOT
25th June 2011, 11:04 PM
Good to hear you got it sorted. Don't worry about your english, we hear you loud and clear.

Tony

Ade
25th June 2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks Tony Sir..

Its the reason why we all here I suppose..

Yendor
25th June 2011, 11:11 PM
That's great news mate, now go out and enjoy it.

Did they say what was wrong with it?

Was it the brake band or a clutch plate?

Ade
25th June 2011, 11:12 PM
Gosh..cant stop staring at her. Cant wait tomorrow morning for a nice early Sunday morning drive with her. My other Nissans must be so jealous! lol..

patch697
25th June 2011, 11:16 PM
Guys.. What a feeling. That goood feeling! She's back and better than ever. I've got to share this with all you guys..

That auto box problem of mine, I finally got her sent for a rebuilt (had to choose option #1 - Rebuild. Tight budget, can't afford rebuilt and up graded box from Wholesale Transmission) couple of weeks ago and just pick her back today. God..It feels like picking up a brand new car after having her sitting in my garage for months I might say. Its got her 2 weeks rebuilding the box awaiting the clutch linings back ordered from Australia! But its all worth the time waiting..

Guys..you all know the feeling right? I'm no good in English..but hope you all got what I'm trying to say here..lol.

Anyway..thanks for all the support guys. Best Nissan Nut House! :beer:

Thanks for the update, the worlds a better place knowing theres another Patrol driving around in it..... & as for your English? We can't even put into words how we feel about our Patrols so your doing just fine mate...

Best of luck with your new auto.

Cheers
Paul

Ade
25th June 2011, 11:23 PM
That's great news mate, now go out and enjoy it.

Did they say what was wrong with it?

Was it the brake band or a clutch plate?

Yup..will do that first thing tomorrow morning :animierte-smilies-t. Both actually..badly worn brake band and clutches. I've seen it myself after they got it stripped apart. ATF temp seems to stay below 80c when I drove her home later this afternoon. Will get her to the hilly road when the running in period is over and see hows the temp do..

Ade
25th June 2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the update, the worlds a better place knowing theres another Patrol driving around in it..... & as for your English? We can't even put into words how we feel about our Patrols so your doing just fine mate...

Best of luck with your new auto.

Cheers
Paul

Thats so true..and you gotta be kidding for that! lol...

and thanks to you too Paul