PDA

View Full Version : Using flame to seat tyre beads.

mudnut
17th April 2017, 05:44 PM
I have seen a few people use ether and the like to seat tyres. Tyre fitters over-inflate tyres up to 80-90 lbs to seat the bead. They then air it down to the recommended pressure.

Using flame to seat the bead could potentially exceed the tyres designed pressure and cause internal problems with the steel belts and sidewalls, couldn't it?

Can the by-products of the burnt fuel cause perishing to the inner surface of the tyre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHpjttWrEA

Is it a safe practice or just a dangerous, lazy man's method?

GQtdauto
17th April 2017, 06:17 PM
It's the redneck method I think , have not and will not try it myself and as you say what will the residue do to the rubber .

stevemc181
17th April 2017, 08:58 PM
I've never had an issue seating tyres with a 12volt compressor, a couple of taps with a rubber mallet and they usually seat the bead no problems for me. I guess if you have damaged beads or rims then it could do the trick in an emergency, but I'd try the ratchet strap and a thick layer of tyre lube first along with the rubber mallet or bouncing the tyre method.

TPC
17th April 2017, 09:07 PM
Have always found a bit of soapy water and 12v compressor has worked fine.
I think the aerosol-flame method is just done for show.

mudnut
17th April 2017, 10:04 PM
I have been next to a mower tyre that failed just after it seated. It blew out just above the bead and scared the hell outta me. Imagine if that happened with a jet of flame coming out.

johno90
18th April 2017, 08:36 AM
Sometimes you dont have a choice but to do it, but always as a last resort. Normally when you get tyres that have been stored for a long time all stacked up and it squishes the sidewall in. No amount of elephant, ratchet straps and hammering will seat them. But obviously be smart about it you dont need alot :)

lucus30
18th April 2017, 08:57 AM
I've done it a few times. It works well

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

threedogs
18th April 2017, 10:26 AM
Just a redneck thing imo, with todays compressors
you should be able to re-seat any bead that pops
off while 4x4ing, yeah just theatre. Too many
things might go wrong, 16" BMX tube is helpfull
when re-seating a tyre

mudnut
18th April 2017, 10:50 AM
16" BMX tube is helpful when re-seating a tyre

Please explain.

threedogs
18th April 2017, 11:51 AM
I watched when they have changed mine over the years having workshop access, the 16" BMX tube would fit over the rim
onto of the tyre taking up any slack, then just give a burst of air the BMX tube will pop off when the bead seats.
A few shops Ive been to have used this method,,,,,,
Note the BMX tube will have a little air in it, other wise it would not work

Pressurize gas and a flame is just asking for injury IMHO
avoid at all cost ,,have you seen even a can of fly spray
explode.??

Throbbinhood
18th April 2017, 12:01 PM
Have used the flame method plenty of times over the years. I always pull the valve, spray deodorant usually, and light her up. Have never had an issue and has gotten me out of the poo on more than one occasion.

lucus30
18th April 2017, 12:58 PM
I agree Throbbinhood. Too many people making assumptions without ever doing it I assume. I can reseat a bead in minutes vs using any other method

MB
18th April 2017, 01:32 PM
Would imagine that our Northern Hemisphere 'Arctic' members probably have no other option with those massive tyres, have seen many a documentary of them all doing it in below freezing temps! I am just about to install a quick release dump valve on my 20L/150psi chassis mounted tank powered up by the ARB twin which should do the trick also on the 35x12.5R15 KM2s hopefully:-)

mudnut
18th April 2017, 02:11 PM
How not to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fDFad1AwS4

And someone elses opinion http://www.equipmentworld.com/mounting-tires-with-an-ether-explosion-looks-smart-but-is-extremely-dumb-videos/

And a death from using ether. http://kfoxtv.com/news/local/authorities-investigating-deadly-industrial-accident-in-las-cruces

stevemc181
18th April 2017, 03:18 PM
It's worth having a look at this video from Bridgestone which shows what happens when Pyrolysis occurs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUVzgCHHuA
This was the result of a short weld being done on a rim, but the principal is the same. If you apply heat and the tyre goes into a Pyrolysis situation, it can turn deadly in a very short space of time. This is an extreme case but there is substantial heat generated using lighter fluid etc and basically causing an explosion inside the tyre. Is it enough to cause pyrolysis? I don't know and really don't want to find out. Maybe as a last resort in an emergency if all other methods have failed, but I wouldnt be using it as my goto method of seating beads.

Years ago i was fleet manager for a large trucking company, we had one of the semi tippers hit some power lines when he forgot to lower the hoist. The driver leapt free of the cab and was walking near the rear of the truck a few minutes later, one of the rear tyres actually snapped all of the lugs holding the spider rim on as it hyper inflated from pyrolysis and shot the wheel about 50 metres through a fence. The wheel missed him and a bystander by about a metre, I have no doubt they would have died had it hit them. We had to put a 300 metre exclusion zone around the truck for 24 hours due to the risk of further pyrolysis, we couldn't tow it away and just had to wait for the 24hr period. We actually hired a security company to make sure no one came within coo-ee of the truck overnight. 22 tyres, all trashed as a precautionary measure at a cost of around $8,000.

MB
18th April 2017, 04:13 PM
Wow, great video thanks Steve, never knew about Pyrolysis reaction mate, scary as hell :-( Noticed in the last few minutes he said the record reaction time was 22hrs later, holy crap!

GQtdauto
18th April 2017, 04:28 PM
Sort of puts it into perspective doesn't it , if I had no option and was miles from anywhere it would be in the back of my mind I suppose but do the risks out weigh the benefit .
I've done it a hundred times mate never had a problem , yeah well maybe 101 times might be your number .

mudnut
18th April 2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks Steve. That does it for me. Using flame to seat a tyre will be a very, very last resort for me. I had the pyrolysis in mind when I started the thread, but had no idea it could be that potent from such a small ignition source.

bazzaboy
18th April 2017, 06:15 PM
If you've ever had a wet or muddy 35" or 37" tyre off a rim, then it's a quick and easy solution, but be careful. Enough is enough, too much can be dangerous. Don't use those portable stove gas cans as the accelerant, use a quicker flash point like an aluminum based deodorant. Same result, but you can use less. I saw a guy use a gas can once, nearly took his head off.

MB
18th April 2017, 06:48 PM
I believe what's shocked me personally from Steve's video is the possibility of even simply heating up some of my rusty property 'say' trailer/sled wheelnuts or tacking up a rim I guess. There must definitely be something to it if Bridgestone feels the need to kindly educate us folks. Evil Twin some years back was subliminally in fact the guiding light for me to use my onboard air tank to its full potential :-)

threedogs
19th April 2017, 02:43 PM
The safety factor for using a can of under arm spray must be huge.
Ha Ha watch this Boom too many things to go wrong, Compressors
are much better than the old thomas bullet from years ago, which
couldn't blow a fly off a turd, lol Invest in a tank for that burst of air
plenty of spots underneath for a decent tank and if you're compressor
is up to scratch you'll be able to "show off" using some air tools.
I will have my 3 gallon tank bolted to the cargo barrier once I strip
it out of the other 4x4.....lol I also have a motor and tank combo to
run front air locker and air horns............lol

MB
19th April 2017, 04:02 PM
Remember to keep that cargo barrier high pressure tank down low and safely as possible away from passengers heads/backs remember John mate, lol ;-) Kimbo squeezed his tank I believe deep in the GU wagon rear well inside arch area. Mines luckily a ute chassis mount so easy peasy it was as ET would say. Can't remember which thread it was but someone also found a great wagon chassis position too for 2 x small scuba tanks up underneath I thought?

threedogs
19th April 2017, 05:43 PM
Remember to keep that cargo barrier high pressure tank down low and safely as possible away from passengers heads/backs remember John mate, lol ;-) Kimbo squeezed his tank I believe deep in the GU wagon rear well inside arch area. Mines luckily a ute chassis mount so easy peasy it was as ET would say. Can't remember which thread it was but someone also found a great wagon chassis position too for 2 x small scuba tanks up underneath I thought?

It will be covered with some alloy checker plate, not sure if it will fit underneath
yet , Ill put a link of the tank Im talking about

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOSS-Air-Tank-Aluminium-6-litre-Mitsubishi-Triton-MK-ML-MN-GLX-GLS-GL-GLX-R-4x4-/171203379477?hash=item27dc844115:g:iAQAAOxydINSVoC 1

MB
19th April 2017, 05:53 PM
That does look like great gear mate, many size tanks available also! Reckon I'll have to look into their air sus too once my Firestone on airs have seen their day. Cheers for the link John :-) !

threedogs
20th April 2017, 05:22 PM
That does look like great gear mate, many size tanks available also! Reckon I'll have to look into their air sus too once my Firestone on airs have seen their day. Cheers for the link John :-) !

Ive had that tank for over 20 years I brought them from a mob in QLD that did
air suspension for cars boing boing boing lol only paid about $60 from memory.
Combined with a 3/4hp compressor it took little effort inflating tyres and engaging
2 x lockers. in hindsight I think those thumper pumps are better than the 3/4hp job
and a 1/4 of the price

mudnut
20th April 2017, 05:30 PM
I was thinking of using four or so empty throw away argon bottles attached with saddles to the chassis and connected together to create a large volume of air.

MB
20th April 2017, 05:48 PM
Should in theory work Mudnut mate. Don't know much about their expiry dates or safe pressure capabilities to match what's needed as a minimum bead blast versus chosen tyre sizes running. Worthwhile calculating how much dollars needed too in high pressure fittings/hoses to safely connect up multiple smaller tanks under a wagon with limited space available.

mudnut
20th April 2017, 06:19 PM
That and the fact there would be six extra failure points in the system.

mudnut
16th May 2017, 07:48 PM
These blokes are pretty fast, but their method of seating the tyres is great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgvB1Ah5QE0