PDA

View Full Version : What next? - Lockers or Turbo???

AB
28th April 2011, 06:54 PM
Ok, been saving like a madman for the next big (expensive step) for Bluey.

So far for anyone new It's just a stock 4.2D GQ recently bought low km's and have put 2" GU OME lift, 33" Mongrels and a 4" snorkel.

Winch, bull bar and spotties will soon be added when I can find a bull bar off Ebay but what would be the next big move front and or rear lockers or get it turbo'd???

Both will eventually come but funds are limited.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Vehicle is not a daily driver and only for touring or weekends in the mud in high country / Toolangi in bog holes and climbing.

Bigrig
28th April 2011, 07:00 PM
Turbo ... Something you use every step of any trip ... lockers can wait as you actually 'need' them far more rarely ...

How's that for direct!!! LOL

AB
28th April 2011, 07:01 PM
You had to pick the expensive one didnt you mate...lol

I know, Very sluggy the old stock diesel 4.2's....I have to get a run up for the hills in my area and even log trucks keep up with me LMAO

Bigrig
28th April 2011, 07:04 PM

I know, Very sluggy the old stock diesel 4.2's....I have to get a run up for the hills in my area and even log trucks keep up with me LMAO

Sorry boss - call it like I see it!! lol ... as said, turbo will give Bluey some added 'vigor'!!! Lockers (and yes I'm getting one as we speak) are less likely to be needed and only used when you go looking for trouble - and you won't get through trouble with a slug of an engine in the first place!!

I'm really unleashing here aren't I?? LMFAO!!!

YNOT
28th April 2011, 07:40 PM
Turbo ... Something you use every step of any trip ... lockers can wait as you actually 'need' them far more rarely ...

How's that for direct!!! LOL

I have to agree with Scotty's thinking here. The turbo makes a HUGE difference from the moment you start every trip, lockers are only used occasionally.

Tony

Bigrig
28th April 2011, 07:48 PM
I have to agree with Scotty's thinking here. The turbo makes a HUGE difference from the moment you start every trip, lockers are only used occasionally.

Tony

Woohoo!! I love it when my mentor agrees with me!!! LOL ... but I know Tony, you'll say "you still have mush to learn glass slipper"!!! (said in your best Japanese accent of course!!) lmfao!!!

Ben-e-boy
28th April 2011, 07:48 PM

you wont regret spending that money when I got mine done I coudnt believe I waited so long, I would overtake people because I could

AB
28th April 2011, 07:50 PM
you wont regret spending that money when I got mine done I coudnt believe I waited so long, I would overtake people because I could

What type of turbo did you put on and what extras/accessories and how much did you spend...lol

Sorry mate, a million questions, just want to soak up some info from others before I make a decision.

the evil twin
28th April 2011, 07:53 PM
Turbo will def get you into trouble a lot quicker than a NA TD42... hehehe

Seeing as the truck isn't a daily and that you like mud and climbing I wouldn't be quite as adamant about a Turbo before the Lockers but yeah probably 51 to 49 for the Turbo... at least you can fling the mud a lot further with the Mongrels when you do get stuck

I'd also consider saving some bucks and go a mechanical Lokka after the Turbo

YNOT
28th April 2011, 08:01 PM
What type of turbo did you put on and what extras/accessories and how much did you spend...lol

Sorry mate, a million questions, just want to soak up some info from others before I make a decision.

I know you directed this question at Ben but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth anyway!
When I had my GU TD42 I paid $1500 for a factory Nissan turbo kit from a wrecked GU. Fitted it myself so no labour charges. I also fitted at the same time a 3" exhaust from Beaudesert exhaust centre that cost $1000. There were a few other bits and pieces like boost and pyro gauges, custom oil and coolant lines etc but all up cost was around $3,000. While there are more powerful TD42's out there it went plenty hard enough for me and made light work of heavy trailers.

Tony

AB
28th April 2011, 08:07 PM
Cheers Tony, I was hoping for anyone to comment so keep them coming folks!!!

growler2058
28th April 2011, 08:14 PM
Mate decisions decisions hay i rekon i'd go turbo cause well just cause and a bit of grunt is always a good thing. hahahahahaha

big_fletch
28th April 2011, 08:17 PM
For what you do atm AB I would say turbo as well, that extra power would be nice I would think lol

YNOT
28th April 2011, 08:21 PM
Woohoo!! I love it when my mentor agrees with me!!! LOL ... but I know Tony, you'll say "you still have mush to learn glass slipper"!!! (said in your best Japanese accent of course!!) lmfao!!!

Said in best Japanese accent;

You so right Scotty san you do have mush to learn, but you a good student when you sober - the rest of the time you just great big pain in ar$e!

Tony

Bigrig
28th April 2011, 08:26 PM

You so right Scotty san you do have mush to learn, but you a good student when you sober - the rest of the time you just great big pain in ar$e!

Tony

LMFAO!!! Thanks I think!!!

Ben-e-boy
28th April 2011, 08:26 PM

I bought a DTS kit with a 3 inch dump pipe and mandrel bent exhaust new injectors pwr radiator and a dyno tune. it makes good mid range power and there is no overheating issues at all. I also got a boost,oil pressure and pyro gauges and a turbo timer

AB
28th April 2011, 08:32 PM
I bought a DTS kit with a 3 inch dump pipe and mandrel bent exhaust new injectors pwr radiator and a dyno tune. it makes good mid range power and there is no overheating issues at all. I also got a boost,oil pressure and pyro gauges and a turbo timer

Cheers mate!

Sir Roofy
28th April 2011, 08:36 PM
as fletch said for what your doing and the area that you bush bash
in turbo would be the go at this stage in blueys career

Finly Owner
28th April 2011, 11:18 PM

Tony
It so funny 'cause it's TRUE! rofpml

Tim