PDA

View Full Version : Can of worms... (which tyre on my GU???)

BearGUST
28th April 2011, 05:06 PM
I'm looking to get a full set of tyres for the GU in the next couple of days, I've decided I want to go 285/75R16 as I'll also be getting a lift.
I've had Dick Cepec FCII's on a previous 4WD and was quite happy with them, I've rung my normal tyre joint and they recommended either BFG All Terrains of Goodyear Duratrac's.
I want to do a fair bit of off-roading but not any extreme stuff so deciding between an A/T - M/T, definitely don't want to be stuck with huge amounts of road noise either....
I've googled the duratrac's and seem to be reading only good things, anyone on here got them?

Clunk
28th April 2011, 05:39 PM
no duratecs I'm afraid mate, got the BFG A/T at the mo, bloomin great all rounder so far. Haven't been able to try them in the mud yet, coz we haven't had any but I'm pretty sure they'd get you out of most situations

Bigrig
28th April 2011, 06:05 PM
Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib all terrain - 90000 klm guarantee and fairly aggressive for off road work, but good on the black stuff - I'm on my first set having done about 26000 k's and they are wearing well ... they have copped a caning off road also thus far and no chipping etc either.

Sir Roofy
28th April 2011, 06:29 PM
maxiss bighorns good on and off the road had them on neary 12months now
very little wear im happy with them

growler2058
28th April 2011, 08:06 PM
Mickey T's MTZ on patrol and prado happy as so far and look SH1t Hot

big_fletch
28th April 2011, 08:24 PM
If you don't wanna make the move to a mud terrain I would agree with Bigrig with the ATZ 4rib for an aggressive all terrain..
If you are looking for a muddy I would highly recommend the bfg mud terrain km2. I am running them at the moment in a 285/75 and are bloody brilliant in the bush, also extremely quiet on the road..
Everyone will have a different opinion, but that's my 2 cents

Fletcha

Warnie
28th April 2011, 10:30 PM
I dont like my BFG AT's that much. They are more of a road terrain. Just get what you want to get, if there is a wait on them at a good price then just wait.

Clunk
28th April 2011, 10:35 PM
now how about that for causing confusion lol, as you can see we all seem to have a preference for one tyre type and maker.

Chev oiler
29th April 2011, 02:21 AM
I'm on my 4th set of BFG AT's at the moment between my current 4B and my previous.
WON'T be getting them again.
Had too much trouble with ballancing on this last set. done 55000, almost un-roadworthy, and had to have them ballanced about evry 1000 km. not tooooo bad for traction and road noise, but if your planning on wekends in the high country over winter, BFG AT's wont cut it, and you may be visiting the panel shop on monday, because they Will clog quickly, and dont release easily.
Tyres seem to be like the Nissan and Toyota Argument. most people if they have it, they love it.
For me it's going to be Mickey T'S Baja ATZ 4 rib, heard lots of good about them, and know several people who have and can't fault them.
Probably ordering mine next week, hope they live upto the good reviews.
Best of luck

timbar
29th April 2011, 03:37 AM
i had coopers att they were good for about 30,000kms then in the wet they were absolute sh@t but as far as wear i got 350,000 kms out of them ( yeah i know no one not even the tyre shop belives i got that many kms but paperwork dont lie) now i have Kuhmo;s KL78 285x75x16 and they are good in the wet and great off road so only done 45,000 kms and they still looking pretty good for wear dont know if this helps but this is what im running Good Luck with the hunt

BearGUST
29th April 2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys, good info!
Are the ATZ's pricey? I want to get onto this pretty quickly so I can get out in the bush :)

growler2058
29th April 2011, 07:51 AM
At a guess i would imagine about $300 ea, you get what you pay for

big_fletch
29th April 2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks guys, good info!
Are the ATZ's pricey? I want to get onto this pretty quickly so I can get out in the bush :)

Not sure about prices on them, depends where abouts you live, I would suggest a ring around thismorning and get some rough prices.. Remember there is also a 5rib and a 4rib tyre, the 4rib is the more aggressive all terrain

BearGUST
30th April 2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys, I ended up getting some BFG A/T's yesterday. Everyone was saying the ATZ's were too expensive, I think they actually were out of stock!
The spare no longer fits on the rear barn door but I'll suss some spacers out for that.

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys, I ended up getting some BFG A/T's yesterday. Everyone was saying the ATZ's were too expensive, I think they actually were out of stock!
The spare no longer fits on the rear barn door but I'll suss some spacers out for that.

Photos please boss!! We do love our happy snaps!! Suss out the spacer I had fitted if you're looking for something functional as well - not the cheapest in the world ($340) but bloody practical and the lights on the back are a treat!! Food for thought.

A couple of pages back in my rig's thread (Tank - Big, Grey and Ugly).

Dark 1
30th April 2011, 06:55 PM
Will be moving to the ATZ's next as i've found the bighorns veerrrry noisy & have had problems with balancing. May even go up to 305/70's.

BearGUST
30th April 2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks Bigrig, I had a bit of a look thru your 'little' thread :)
That's definitely food for thought with the spare wheel spacer...

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks Bigrig, I had a bit of a look thru your 'little' thread :)
That's definitely food for thought with the spare wheel spacer...

LOL!! Yep, it's definitely one of the smaller members ride threads (ahem ... lol)!!!!

Let me know if interested or just call the joint direct mate - they'll sort you out if that's what you're after!!