PDA

View Full Version : New bar but can't fit. Need help.

Covo71
8th April 2017, 05:29 PM
I picked up the new bar today and tried to fit but the bar will not slide on to the chassis rails. After looking at it closer the body mount brackets have been very dodgy welding and obviously someone that doesn't know how to weld thought they would have a crack. As you can see on the photos they are bent in. I am worried given the crap welds if I start persuading this with a large hammer the welds might crack. Anyone with more knowledge than me got some advice. 71437714387143971440

Clunk
8th April 2017, 05:48 PM
Definitely taken a battering haven't they!!!! Have you got a blow torch to apply some heat and maybe bend them back

Covo71
8th April 2017, 05:58 PM
No, don't have a torch

mudnut
8th April 2017, 06:07 PM
If you only need to move them a few millimetres, try a hilift jack and some 10mm flat steel to gently pry them open.

GQtdauto
8th April 2017, 06:08 PM
Welds are shit , rust is a big problem for you as well , not easy to weld vertical up with a stick but very easy vertical down with mig , no use putting a new bar on imo with it looking like that .
Clean it up with a rotary wire brush or flap wheel if not both , if welds are holding okay just messy you can tap the bar in as long as you paint the weld area .
If you find welds are dodgy it will pay to get them rewelded, if your fitting a bar your life sort of depends on it .

Covo71
8th April 2017, 06:16 PM
Welds are shit , rust is a big problem for you as well , not easy to weld vertical up with a stick but very easy vertical down with mig , no use putting a new bar on imo with it looking like that .
Clean it up with a rotary wire brush or flap wheel if not both , if welds are holding okay just messy you can tap the bar in as long as you paint the weld area .
If you find welds are dodgy it will pay to get them rewelded, if your fitting a bar your life sort of depends on it .

Ah, the voice of reason. I will see if I can bend out and then check the welds and see if any visible cracks. If ok I will get some kill rust over the top to make sure it doesn't get more cancer in there. Cheers
Scott

Ben-e-boy
8th April 2017, 07:01 PM
They're bent below the weld.. Just hit it straight

GQtdauto
8th April 2017, 07:07 PM
As for having to force a bar into place I'm sure a few here have bought one that didn't quite fit right resulting in a bit of 5lb hammer love .

threedogs
8th April 2017, 07:55 PM
do you have the inserts the right way around ,??All know is the drivers side has captive nuts
and the passenger side has three holes that the insert lines up with,,,,just saying LOL
If you were closer I'd be there in a heartbeat to help you out.....
I'm with Ben just hit it straight....lol as it slides on from the inside of the chassis
picking up those hole I mentioned then you use the shipping tie down as another
fixing hole.

Clunk
8th April 2017, 08:37 PM
do you have the inserts the right way around ,??All know is the drivers side has captive nuts
and the passenger side has three holes that the insert lines up with,,,,just saying LOL
If you were closer I'd be there in a heartbeat to help you out.....
I'm with Ben just hit it straight....lol as it slides on from the inside of the chassis
picking up those hole I mentioned then you use the shipping tie down as another
fixing hole.
Looks right to me

Covo71
9th April 2017, 11:07 AM
I have bent them straight but the bar sits outside the chassis rail underneath. It fits over the rail fine but hits the body mount brackets underneath.

mudnut
9th April 2017, 01:22 PM
Hammer the bottom bit of the brackets out of the way as they are just tie down eyes for when the vehicle is being shipped. If you can't, I suggest taking it to someone who can cut the crappy weld at the bracket, then straighten them and weld them properly.

I wonder if the previous owner used the tie down points as recovery points and ripped the welds off?

Covo71
9th April 2017, 01:33 PM
Hammer the bottom bit of the brackets out of the way as they are just tie down eyes for when the vehicle is being shippedeld the. If you can't, I suggest taking it to someone who can cut the crappy weld at the bracket, then straighten them and weld them properly.

I wonder if the previous owner used the tie down points as recovery points and ripped the welds off?

The bulbar comes out further than the chassis on the outside. The right hand side looks original and the bar would hit it regardless.

mudnut
9th April 2017, 01:37 PM
What brand of bar is it? You might have to grind off the the edge that is hitting the bracket.

Covo71
9th April 2017, 01:44 PM
What brand of bar is it? You might have to grind off the the edge that is hitting the bracket. In the photo I can see that the tie downs are bent in wards.

It's an ARB bar. If I grind the bar it would seriously de-strengthen the bar underneath.

Covo71
9th April 2017, 01:47 PM
Would it really be a problem if I ground off the bottom of the body mount bracket level with the bottom of the rail?

mudnut
9th April 2017, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I see the extra piece of the bar at the bottom. Did you squash the rail a bit when you tried to shift them?

Clunk
9th April 2017, 02:19 PM
Really wish I could remember how my old ARB bar was fitted, pretty sure itwasthe same way as yours but obviously had no issue fitting though...... AB how does yours fit old mate?

Covo71
9th April 2017, 02:19 PM
No, I had to bend them out not in

threedogs
9th April 2017, 02:22 PM
is the shipping tie down another fixing point like on some bars ??
That left Pic has been welded twice for some reason, can you or
is it possible to open the bullbar a tad so it slides over the body mount

threedogs
9th April 2017, 02:28 PM
Would it really be a problem if I ground off the bottom of the body mount bracket level with the bottom of the rail?

That would work for me, cant see it weakening the body mount any

mudnut
9th April 2017, 03:26 PM
Taking the tie downs off might be your only option in this case.

Covo71
9th April 2017, 04:37 PM
Yep, cut them level and the bar went on without too much trouble after that. Thanks for the help.

mudnut
9th April 2017, 04:45 PM
After you clean up the rust and paint it, you might want to use fish oil or another anti rust product on the whole area. I used fish oil between the winch cradle, chassis and alloy bar to make sure no rust could start.

threedogs
9th April 2017, 05:01 PM
On my other 4x4 with an ARB commercial bar I remember when it slid over the chassis rails
other than the side bolts it also had one that went top to bottom.
Good news its on ,,,,tick

Covo71
9th April 2017, 08:18 PM
After you clean up the rust and paint it, you might want to use fish oil or another anti rust product on the whole area. I used fish oil between the winch cradle, chassis and alloy bar to make sure no rust could start.

I will douse it next day off. There is so much room to get in there before I put a winch in so will be easy as. Thanks for the help

Covo71
9th April 2017, 08:19 PM
On my other 4x4 with an ARB commercial bar I remember when it slid over the chassis rails
other than the side bolts it also had one that went top to bottom.
Good news its on ,,,,tick

Yeah it had one bolt through the bottom but not through to the top. Cheers. Thanks for the info.